Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

4 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Just watched Max's video and to say I'm perplexed is as gross an understatement as I can imagine. I'm going to try that outdoor test he did with focusing on the car and then something in the distance. If you read the comments below the video, you'll see there are other GH5 owners, like myself, who also say theirs are very fast and very reliable and are also confused by his results. I'm almost inclined to go along with a couple of posters who think he has a problem with his body...camera body that is. ;)

In the interim, here's a 4K video I had shot on day one with the GH5 during a stormy day in N.Y. I turned off all the lights in the house and it was actually fairly dark, despite what a few angles show. This was using the relatively slow 14-140 lens (F3.5), so no assist from the lens. As I turn from a closeup of the flowers, to the living room, you'll get a better idea as to what the lighting actually looked like. At the time of this posting, the video was still only in HD on YouTube, so it needs more time to process to 4K.

I thought I saw one little spec of dust around the Bananas, but I was wrong LoL. The heck with the camera, I want your House! Nice video. Shows it's strengths for sure. Looks like yours works.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks webrunner5. Hey, I'm getting new bananas! :)

It's just unfortunate the camera is getting such a bad rap when Max's issues are obviously not universal as other GH5 owners have said what I have. Max should have at least acknowledged there may have been something wrong with his camera.

48 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

So here's the video I promised. I tried to duplicate Max's AF scenario as best I could. None of these clips have been edited and none that I shot were left out. Everything you see is everything I shot. Very different results. What can I say? As I've said before, these results are extremely typical for everything I've shot thus far. I've never shot a single clip that even remotely resembles what Max got.

This is a 4K video, but it hasn't yet rendered at this point to a full 4K.

Holly crap, that is just awesome. No one could even begin to focus that fast in manual mode. Camera envy on my part. What lens, 12-35mm, 12-60mm?? The 14-140mm, no way? If so what version?

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Holly crap, that is just awesome. No one could even begin to focus that fast in manual mode. Camera envy on my part. What lens, 12-35mm, 12-60mm??

Thanks webrunner, I agree. It was actually the GH5 and I was trying to duplicate, as close as I could, the terrible failures Max had doing the same shots. I really find it hard to believe the 14-140 lens has that much better AF, if any. 

8 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Thanks webrunner, I agree. It was actually the GH5 and I was trying to duplicate, as close as I could, the terrible failures Max had doing the same shots. I really find it hard to believe the 14-140 lens has that much better AF, if any. 

Can you please try to replicate his shots where he was showing a lens to the camera? I think those examples are the worst.

11 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

FWIW, the autofocus performed better on my GH4 with the 14-140mm than my 12-35mm.

22 minutes ago, zmarty said:

Can you please try to replicate his shots where he was showing a lens to the camera? I think those examples are the worst.

No problem marty, will do.

Uploading to Youtube now.

17 minutes ago, SuperSet said:

FWIW, the autofocus performed better on my GH4 with the 14-140mm than my 12-35mm.

It's hard to believe that the lens could make all the difference I'm seeing between Max's video and mine.

Zmarty, here ya go. Give it a bit of time to upgrade to 4K. It's now a low rez, but you should still see the focus.

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

So here's the video I promised. I tried to duplicate Max's AF scenario as best I could. None of these clips have been edited and none that I shot were left out. Everything you see is everything I shot. Very different results. What can I say? As I've said before, these results are extremely typical for everything I've shot thus far. I've never shot a single clip that even remotely resembles what Max got.

Thanks much for the test Ken!...never use AF but clearly with the GH5 I'll be able to chase my 5 year old around with it!...absolutely respectable result on AF and the examples you used would certainly challenge a system...comes in smoothly and at a respectable pace...even better performance than in your house...though in your house you don't see it finding focus as clearly as in daylight

4 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Thanks much for the test Ken!...never use AF but clearly with the GH5 I'll be able to chase my 5 year old around with it!...absolutely respectable result on AF and the examples you used would certainly challenge a system...comes in smoothly and at a respectable pace...even better performance than in your house...though in your house you don't see it finding focus as clearly as in daylight

Thanks Fritz. The indoor video I shot was taken during heavy rain with no lights on. It was pretty dark in the house. As is the case with almost any video camera, indoors shots under those conditions won't have quite the resolution of brighter, outdoor shots. What I'm also seeing, for the most part, is that the AF doesn't tend to overshoot. 

6 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Thanks Fritz. The indoor video I shot was taken during heavy rain with no lights on. It was pretty dark in the house. As is the case with almost any video camera, indoors shots under those conditions won't have quite the resolution of brighter, outdoor shots.

Agreed Ken....but because of the lower contrast indoors to my eye the GH5 pulled focus rather seamlessly...speaking of pulling focus...wont have my GH5 for a couple of months but already have the Leica 12-60 because of this capability in the GH5...for narrative work, whether commercial product shots, or feature or television, just one of the examples of how ahead of the curve they are with the GH5!

PS is that the Panny 12-60 in the AF demo?...and do you like it?

24 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Agreed Ken....but because of the lower contrast indoors to my eye the GH5 pulled focus rather seamlessly...speaking of pulling focus...wont have my GH5 for a couple of months but already have the Leica 12-60 because of this capability in the GH5...for narrative work, whether commercial product shots, or feature or television, just one of the examples of how ahead of the curve they are with the GH5!

PS is that the Panny 12-60 in the AF demo?...and do you like it?

Fritz, the 12-60 is the only the kit lens that came with my G85.

4 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Fritz, the 12-60 is the only the kit lens that came with my G85.

Thanks Ken...I've been messaging with Jonpais as I was considering getting the G85 for traveling and contemplated getting the Panny 12-60 as the kit...the Leica has to pay for it's  hefty price, but I like the 12-60 focal length of this zoom and in kit form the Panny 12-60 seems worth the $100!

2 hours ago, Borbarad said:

Lok finally has a GH5 

B

Seems like Lok's works pretty much like mine and certainly nothing like Max's. As I've said before, it's really a shame the GH5 is getting an unjustifiably bad rap from Max's unit.

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

Fritz, the 12-60 kit lens is definitely worth it in the bundle. It's a capable little lens and one of the better kit lenses you'll find.

Thanks for the input Ken!...did not  mean to hi-jack the thread all else!

4 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Thanks Fritz. The indoor video I shot was taken during heavy rain with no lights on. It was pretty dark in the house. As is the case with almost any video camera, indoors shots under those conditions won't have quite the resolution of brighter, outdoor shots. What I'm also seeing, for the most part, is that the AF doesn't tend to overshoot. 

Thanks for those tests, Ken. While it's highly improbable Max received two bad lenses, it is entirely possible Max's body is defective. All I really object to are the number of comments that he is biased - after all, he purchased the camera with his own money, he spent hours trying desperately to get it to work, and he stands to lose a considerable amount of money from lost sales by his viewers. To be honest, I've owned five Panasonic cameras myself, and they've all been so reliable, that I could forgive Max for not entertaining the idea that his GH5 might be malfunctioning. It's also important to remember that several other testers have also found the AF unreliable, West Coast Media and Kai to name only two. And Max's tests were reasonably scientific in that anyone should be able to perform the identical tests at home. Anyhow, I was only able to watch your tests on my iPod, but that's reassuring news. Thanks.

55 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Thanks for those tests, Ken. While it's highly improbable Max received two bad lenses, it is entirely possible Max's body is defective. All I really object to are the number of comments that he is biased - after all, he purchased the camera with his own money, he spent hours trying desperately to get it to work, and he stands to lose a considerable amount of money from lost sales by his viewers. To be honest, I've owned five Panasonic cameras myself, and they've all been so reliable, that I could forgive Max for not entertaining the idea that his GH5 might be malfunctioning. It's also important to remember that several other testers have also found the AF unreliable, West Coast Media and Kai to name only two. And Max's tests were reasonably scientific in that anyone should be able to perform the identical tests at home. Anyhow, I was only able to watch your tests on my iPod, but that's reassuring news. Thanks.

Bias is present in everything in life and in the world as we all know, even though, we tend to forget, ignore or deny. We are all biased. We take position, so there we are. You, for example, you defend your perspective on this topic. Bias : )

That said, I don't think he is dishonest, I found him pretty committed to give to his audience the best he can. Paid reviews have another tone. Competent as reviewer? Well, we'll have a distinct matter to discuss then. A malfunctioning unit can't serve as excuse for professionals when AF is presented as used by soccer moms. To barely call it scientific is unscientific. AF use is beyond the usage he recalls in his video. Frankly, I wouldn't hire such shooter, I'm sorry to write it because I appreciate some of his effort indeed. 30 minutes of test would demand much more, though. Barry Green standard, I guess, my bad.

To fulfill the whole cup is variably hard to succeed. But, when we approach some intricate subject, we must try it or we risk to fail. Voilà (if I put the accent in a different language of French, I won't reach to properly write the idiom ; )

E :-)

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Holly crap, that is just awesome. No one could even begin to focus that fast in manual mode. Camera envy on my part. What lens, 12-35mm, 12-60mm?? The 14-140mm, no way? If so what version?

Wow. Nice auto focus.