Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

13 minutes ago, Davey said:

The ad tightening by YouTube has turned into a blessing for me. I am now concentrating on stock 4k footage and loving how I don't need to consider any context or justification for any clip - I can concentrate purely on getting the best possible shot of any subject that comes to mind without having to weave it into any story.

One sale a year will equal the ad revenue off 50,000 YouTube views.

I'm off out to get some more clips as type, knowing that the four clips I shot (EOSHD Pro Color), trimmed and lightly graded (Color Finale) are better than anything in its subject class on the stock sites I have viewed. But then I did wait 90 minutes for a lynx to get into a decent composition and yawn. :)

The Ad Boycott I was referring to is threatening several independent news providers (not owned by corporate media) that I rely on, so not so great.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yet on YT and speaking of gear reviewers, for example, I appreciate to pay attention to the Dugdale's reviews. Amongst a few others, I want to believe. Where's Philip's (Bloom) review (not exactly from YT) as for instance? Why not as before?

Therefore, such quotes of mine as BS and so on. Maybe 'honest BS' if I am able to call it so LOL but (more on the territoire of lacking something) shit happens to my eyes, unfortunately.

Even among us, people discuss the topics with much interesting trade of humble information we had the chance to gather along our modest experience. And some of the posts still praise not so well much informed perspectives at times. It's life, I guess so. To each his/her own, though. It's sad to read misinformation, well, 'often honest', but still lacking depth lots of times.

That's just my two cents of rant : )

AF the motto. The dichotomy AF/MF puzzles me. There's no soccer/chess match. Filmmaking is a difficult and lucky combination impossible to make it happen without hard work, know-how and a good portion of every part and intense/obsessive perfectionism... There's no free lunch!

E :-)

I have two more questions about using the GH5:

- I have been getting pretty underwhelming results when it comes to the IBIS. For normal shots it is fine, but I can't seem to really do 'walking shots' without the edges of the screen warping all over the place. Now the funny part is, this was worse at 18mm than at 35mm. You would expect to opposite.
Could this maybe be caused by the fact that I'm pushing my Sigma 18-35 to it's limits on the wide end by using a Speed Booster XL 0.64x?

- I have also noticed that the stabilizer uses up a lot of battery juice. I think the battery life is almost cut in half when it's turned on all the time. Is there a way to connect bigger batteries, such as the Sony NP-F970 to the GH5 for instance by using it's USB-C connector?
I wouldn't really want to buy the battery grip as my setup is already heavy enough as it is.

Thanks guys.

5 minutes ago, Stab said:

(...) by the fact that I'm pushing my Sigma 18-35 to it's limits on the wide end by using a Speed Booster XL 0.64x?

What about vignetting? Don't you notice it?

IBIS is more designed for welcoming steady shots than for 'walking shots' where a gimbal stands.

7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The Ad Boycott I was referring to is affecting several independent news providers (not owned by corporate media) that I rely on, so not so great.

Oh right. We can't be having alternative news ruining MSM fairytales. I never knew until several of my videos were de-monetised that even natural disasters are off limits.

Give it time and all will be white fluffy clouds and babies.

1 minute ago, Davey said:

Oh right. We can't be having alternative news ruining MSM fairytales. I never knew until several of my videos were de-monetised that even natural disasters are off limits.

Give it time and all will be white fluffy clouds and babies.

Which is why it's so important to support those who bring us content that we rely on every day.

56 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

What about vignetting? Don't you notice it?

IBIS is more designed for welcoming steady shots than for 'walking shots' where a gimbal stands.

There is slight vignetting going on at 18mm, but since I always add black bars in post they aren't a problem for me.

I understand that IBIS is no gimbal replacement, but I have seen better results in other people's shots which were also shot with non-supported lenses. Also, the fact that it's better at 35mm than at 18mm surprises me.

35 minutes ago, Davey said:

Regarding Max's latest GH5 video, I won't have time to watch it until tonight but will say that he has a history of integrity as a reviewer.

Sure, not even doubt it. Regardless bias can always happen even when we don't notice it with ourselves ; ) I just don't buy (to use an expression by jonpais : ) the new "gurus" made by YT, as explained.

5 minutes ago, Stab said:

There is slight vignetting going on at 18mm, but since I always add black bars in post they aren't a problem for me.

Not even at the edges (not corners) of the frame? Any softness then?

7 minutes ago, Stab said:

I understand that IBIS is no gimbal replacement, but I have seen better results in other people's shots which were also shot with non-supported lenses. Also, the fact that it's better at 35mm than at 18mm surprises me.

I think you've already answered to your fair doubt on your previous post.

13 minutes ago, Stab said:

If it's vignetting at 18mm, that's a clue that it's not working optimally. I'm guessing it'll be fine if and when Metabones issues a firmware update. 

1 hour ago, Stab said:

- I have been getting pretty underwhelming results when it comes to the IBIS. For normal shots it is fine, but I can't seem to really do 'walking shots' without the edges of the screen warping all over the place. Now the funny part is, this was worse at 18mm than at 35mm. You would expect to opposite.
Could this maybe be caused by the fact that I'm pushing my Sigma 18-35 to it's limits on the wide end by using a Speed Booster XL 0.64x?

- I have also noticed that the stabilizer uses up a lot of battery juice. I think the battery life is almost cut in half when it's turned on all the time. Is there a way to connect bigger batteries, such as the Sony NP-F970 to the GH5 for instance by using it's USB-C connector?
I wouldn't really want to buy the battery grip as my setup is already heavy enough as it is.

Thanks guys.

Are your Sigma and XL Canon or Nikon mount? If Nikon, what values are you entering in the camera for focal length? Remember that you need to enter the effective focal length of the lens and booster together.

Even with the correct value, though, you can't expect IBIS to absorb walking motions. Not even big expensive gimbals or Steadicam can do that. Which is why steadi/gimbal operators have to learn the "duck walk".

The GH5's USB port doesn't support external charging/power. You would have to use a dummy battery. A big old NP-F battery is going to weigh nearly as much as the battery grip anyways, might as well do the grip and then you can hot-swap batteries.

I think these things are not really very exciting most of the time. The one where the IBIS on the G85 was playing up was a good one though, and Pana fixed it straight away. I think they will probably tweak the video AF and that will be in a firmware update eventually. They've tweaked it before on other cameras. When following what Max does, my GH5 copies his one. But when I use one area (touch focus) with 0 or +2 sensitivity, it easily matches what my rx100v does in video AF, and much faster than the GH4. So what I'm saying is that for most things like this we learn to work around them so we can work with the camera. At least until someone tweaks the other modes. 

1 hour ago, Stab said:

Thanks guys.

Warping is because the ibis focal length is not being set correctly. I had that problem on the GX85 I was using with a non-pana manual focus lens. 

Yeah I'd be more interested in a max video about battery life. Maybe not a 30min one though. Getting one of these for when using powered. https://goo.gl/lGQCe4 USB-C connector is signal not charge I think.

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

If it's vignetting at 18mm, that's a clue that it's not working optimally. I'm guessing it'll be fine if and when Metabones issues a firmware update. 

That's a physical limitation. On zoom freeze, for sure. But vignetting will still be there, obviously, anyway.

9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

It's an APS-C lens (1.5 crop) and with the SpeedBooster XL it's used on a sensor that behaves like it had a 1.3 crop so I think it's probably the IBIS moving the sensor into the outermost parts of the lens where it has the worst quality and that wouldn't be used on an APS-C sensor. Probably better off with the SpeedBooster Ultra instead of XL when using APS-C lenses?

19 minutes ago, aldolega said:

Are your Sigma and XL Canon or Nikon mount? If Nikon, what values are you entering in the camera for focal length? Remember that you need to enter the effective focal length of the lens and booster together.

Even with the correct value, though, you can't expect IBIS to absorb walking motions. Not even big expensive gimbals or Steadicam can do that. Which is why steadi/gimbal operators have to learn the "duck walk".

The GH5's USB port doesn't support external charging/power. You would have to use a dummy battery. A big old NP-F battery is going to weigh nearly as much as the battery grip anyways, might as well do the grip and then you can hot-swap batteries.

Thanks.

Im using the Nikon version and provide the correct input focal lenght I believe. When shooting at 18mm, I fill in 11.5mm as the focal length. (x 0.64)
When shooting at 35mm, I fill in 22.4mm.

There is some vignetting on the Sigma 18-35mm with this SpeedBooster on 18mm f1.8-f2.5 but it's very minimal and only in the extreme corners. This is also without IBIS of course. So I guess this is also the reason for the IBIS performing slightly worse but I just wanted to make sure. I have no other non native wide-angle to compare it to.

For just correcting handheld shake, it works great though.

6 minutes ago, Stab said:

Im using the Nikon version and provide the correct input focal lenght I believe. When shooting at 18mm, I fill in 11.5mm as the focal length. (x 0.64)
When shooting at 35mm, I fill in 22.4mm.

There is some vignetting on the Sigma 18-35mm with this SpeedBooster on 18mm f1.8-f2.5 but it's very minimal and only in the extreme corners. This is also without IBIS of course. So I guess this is also the reason for the IBIS performing slightly worse but I just wanted to make sure. I have no other non native wide-angle to compare it to.

For just correcting handheld shake, it works great though.

IBIS is really designed for correcting it in order to steady handheld shots.

Good question, informative answer, intriguing doubt.

I'd dare to wonder if actually Nikon vs Canon EF mount versions have different coverages, once the distinct reports on vignetting trouble.

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

IBIS is really designed for correcting it in order to steady handheld shots.

Good question, informative answer, intriguing doubt.

I'd dare to wonder if actually Nikon vs. Canon versions have different coverages, once the distinct reports on vignetting trouble.

I don't think there is a difference on coverage. Mind you, I'm using the XL version which has a reducing factor of 0.64x. Most people use the regular or Ultra version, which have a factor of 0.71x. That would explain the differences in reports. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows. 

9 minutes ago, Stab said:

I don't think there is a difference on coverage. Mind you, I'm using the XL version which has a reducing factor of 0.64x. Most people use the regular or Ultra version, which have a factor of 0.71x. That would explain the differences in reports. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows. 

I meant the 0.64x version... 0.71x is free of it. As well, cropped GH4 coupled to XL. Absence of crop on GH5 must theoretically grant the infamous vignette -- TBC.

Well, EF mount version has electronics associated, not yours though...

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

Ken - I've been doing a field test this week at the Saigon Central Post office of the Fuji 50mm f/2 with the Fuji X-T2 mounted on the Crane gimbal - practically identical subject matter   - and it looks like some of the handheld shots here have just about the same amount of jitter as mine. Are you seeing it, or is it just me? Sorry to nitpick.

Jon, no, but I should have explained how I shot this to explain what you're seeing. As I moved to different spots in the mall, I was sitting in areas where there were arrays of 6 or so seats and a couch. My seat would generally be 12'-15' (I'm guessing) from my 'subject'.

These were obviously candid shots (technically you're not supposed to shoot in the mall) and I wanted to be as discreet as possible. So I had the camera on my thigh with my legs crossed and the VF swung out so that I could look down, not appearing to be shooting. I was probably 3/4 zoomed in with the 14-140 lens, while I'd make slight adjustments with my leg and camera for relatively consistent framing...a really lousy monopod. That resulted in those slight movements that would not have occurred with the camera to my eye, as I almost always shoot hand-held. 

So that's the long winded answer to the jitter question. I wasn't even careful in adjusting exposure since it was hard to see the zebras in the LCD (I wear reading glasses). I'll look out for it though in my normal shooting style. 

My impression of the GH5 IBIS is that it's a bit more effective than in the G85. I think that's more a function of the size and weight (bigger cams are generally easier to hold steady) than an actual improvement in the IBIS.