Nikkor

Sony a6300 4k

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:19 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Can I just say that Sony have some SUPERB PR people.

Exact OPPOSITE of Samsung's camera department!

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:05 PM, majoraxis said:

@ Jordan Drake - I find your reviews from a video shooter's perspective valuable and well done. Keep up the great work - your work is appreciated by many of us, I'm sure.

I'll double second that! :)

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:45 PM, Tony Anastasi said:

yeah I'll second that ! 

been looking at https://vimeo.com/user803551/videos dl'd a few did my lut's in fcpx - looking NICE AS. :)   

I've spent the last five years shooting with RX100mk1, a 550 and a eos-m mk1 on my doco here in china.. finished shooting that now, this year I'll be doing a few conferences around the world so I'm thinking of getting two of these - one with a wide and one with a  Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS for close ups of the speaker.. i wonder how this would go?

You might need longer reach than 105mm, depends on how far back you're shooting the close ups of speakers from.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:01 PM, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

Selecting AF point by touching the LCD would have been 1000x better in any case!

Such a simple simple SIMPLE thing to do! Surprised they did not, even the Sony A5100 which I own has touch focus!!! Grrrr.... *ALL* should have that now, it is too handy not to have!

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:58 AM, Kisaha said:

Pentax they have their own new Full Frame camera to play with

And their medium format camera which does video!! :-o

http://philipbloom.net/blog/pentax645z/

I want one!! :-o

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:10 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Ive been going back and forth if I was going to give this a try. But ultimately have decided to pass.

I dont know. I guess if you want a small body with s35 4k, its cool. But it always seems that Sonys are... A bit further from perfect than other cameras.

And for me personally,  that feel that 4K is just a feature and no way near a must, its tricky. I mean with a kit lens it costs $150 less than I was offered an F3 and only $250 less than a C100. And on top of that it will be half price on the used market before summer is over. 

I guess I dont see it as an A-cam (over heat) and as a B-cam its probably better to wait.

But if you guys that bought it start uploading stunning footage.... Who knows :)

Awwww..... disappointed you passed on the F3 :-( Would've liked your review on that! Especially head to head with the R1 MX! :-D As I've used both, but never used them directly next to each other, or even used them in the same month (as I purchased the F3 sometime after I'd stopped helping out on shooting the feature with a RED).

14 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Ehhh, like what? Going through the top IMDB list and none of those films feature a rolling shutter. Except maybe a couple of Alexa ones but Alexa RS is quite small.

Don't see it so much in top Hollywood movies, but heaps and heaps of popular TV shows with big budgets show quite severe rolling shutter on it. For instance "Suits", nicely shot TV show with a big budget but I notice rolling shutter in it all the time. However, is likely the average viewer never sees it!

Actually never mind, RS is the parameter of the single frame, so there should be no correction for fps. So 25p RS should be identical to 24p, while 30p should be 1.225^2=1.5 times smaller(26ms). This makes sense, it should be kept under 1000ms/fps, otherwise the next frame starts before the current one finished processing. So for 30p RS should be under 33ms, while 24p under 42ms.

bad news is those without fans but using external recorders are also reporting over heating without recording incamera.. so fans it is.. :)

bunch of guys over in max's private a6300 facebook group (1300 users already)  have already started hacking their a6300's with tiny fans.. first couple of guys are getting 1.5hrs straight no over heating ( they run out of battery and memory at about 1.5hrs ) when they attach tiny maglav fans like this ( sunon maglev GM0502PFV2-8, DC5V, 0.4W as shown) . user reports " it's actually surprisingly powerful, and runs directly from 2 AA batteries making the build easy. Maglev type, so it runs at least 6 hours with one pair and is very silent. "

next up are the battery hackers - one user using vlock got 2.7hrs before he got bored.. another has built a grip like out of a couple of phone battery packs and feeding the usb.. i think he is still going lol

-> so, ext recorders, tiny silent fans and usb charger battery hacks it is :)

also for headphones for those who are asking, has anyone got any ideas about this http://aspenmics.com/collections/all/products/cell-phone-lavalier-adapter - will it work ? anyone got one to test for those who like recording onboard ? personally i use ext sound recorders but for those who want to use onboard might find this handy ( aspens sales spill - aspens spelling errors! lol ) 

This adapter is to be used with our AspenMics HQ-S Stereo LavalierMicrophones
Turns 3.5mm audio output port into one 3.5mm headphone jack and one 3.5mm microphone port
This product has only been tested and used on our AspenMics HQ-S Stereo Lavalier Microphone
Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
The adpater may not work on some laptops and mobile devices due to hardware incompatiblity and is not a limitation of the product.)

fan.jpg

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You might need longer reach than 105mm, depends on how far back you're shooting the close ups of speakers from.

yes - but now thinking about the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 lens - and that adapter.. f/1.8 would suit me better in a low light conference setup.. for reach about 135/150mm I guess and still have clear image zoom if needed in a pinch right?

4 hours ago, Tony Anastasi said:

yes - but now thinking about the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 lens - and that adapter.. f/1.8 would suit me better in a low light conference setup.. for reach about 135/150mm I guess and still have clear image zoom if needed in a pinch right?

That lens has no image stabilization, so it will be a rolling shutter fest.

The only reason that adapter works on iPhone etc. is because iPhone have the headphone and mic jack convinced in one TRR(R)S headphone jack. If you look closely at your iPhone headphones, you'll see small pieces of plastic that separate segments of the connector. So the tip usually is ground, the rings carry the signal for left ear, right ear, and I think the button inputs, and the sleeve (the top segment) is mic. Or some permutation of that. 

Normal headphone jacks just don't have the mic or button part. Normal mic jacks just don't have the headphone part. So unless the camera is capable of outputting both through the input jack, that adapter won't do anything. 

But it is worth checking to see if the camera does take in mic input and output audio. You could try it with standard iPhone headphones.

2 minutes ago, vaga said:

The only reason that adapter works on iPhone etc. is because iPhone have the headphone and mic jack convinced in one TRR(R)S headphone jack. If you look closely at your iPhone headphones, you'll see small pieces of plastic that separate segments of the connector. So the tip usually is ground, the rings carry the signal for left ear, right ear, and I think the button inputs, and the sleeve (the top segment) is mic. Or some permutation of that. 

Normal headphone jacks just don't have the mic or button part. Normal mic jacks just don't have the headphone part. So unless the camera is capable of outputting both through the input jack, that adapter won't do anything. 

But it is worth checking to see if the camera does take in mic input and output audio. You could try it with standard iPhone headphones.

yes your correct.. its a trs we are after.. so you cannot use this to monitor your rode video mic pro with.. 
i think most of us will probably just buy ext recorders and go that option

19 hours ago, ajay said:

I probably use camera a lot differently than most, but for wildlife photography/videography this camera has its flaws but for the most part meets my needs. The rolling shutter is bad at 24p but tolerable at 30p. The cropping is a bit stronger at 30p but not a big deal. I typically shoot at long mm, so extra crop ain't bad. Has anyone tried the digital zoom? Between 1x and 2x there is no degradation that I can see. What a great feature. Most of my clips are just for a few minutes at most, so no worries with overheating.

And it works pretty darn good for stills with longer mm lenses. I can't wait to try it with Sigma's MC-11 adapter and the Sigma 150-600mm.

I have thought about getting the 1DX Mark II, but it would be a pain in the A$$ to use the back display in sunny, outdoor conditions. An EVF is much better and I can keep the camera steadier by holding it up to my face rather from afar looking at the back screen. I guess I could get a hood for it, but seems like a pain.

I think the RS on this camera will make wildlife filming on a 600mm lens a horrendous wobble fest

11 minutes ago, ade towell said:

I think the RS on this camera will make wildlife filming on a 600mm lens a horrendous wobble fest

Completely agree, RS is amplified with longer lenses. No way your shooting nature effectively with that RS performance unless you use stabilized lenses.

An article appeared very briefly recently from Dan on Newsshooter citing the recent 3.10 A7Rii firmware update and how the AF video performance is now comparable between a6300 and A7Rii. Now I can't find the article–it seems to be taken down. My big question is: how does the video AF performance compare between these two cameras now. The amount of phase-detect AF points is really similar between them both, and coverage in APS-C mode is practically identical. If I already have the A7R2 is there any advantage to the a6300 for AF in video? Oddly enough, Sony's explanation of the AF phase detect firmware upgrade is simply for compatibility with the new G master lenses and doesn't say anything about improved video performance. Yet Dan Chung says "With phase detect AF for video added to the a7R II it has jumped to the top of my list of compact system cameras." Please clarify if anyone has any insight.

Nevermind. Dan was quick to respond! This post was based on a bit of misinformation apparently so it was taken down. What it has done, however, is caused me to test the A7R2 and a6300 video AF against each other. They are remarkably close, to the point that I wouldn't buy the a6300 for it's AF performance in video over the A7R2. Losing the sensor stabilization, headphone out, and the fullframe/APS-C crop option is a big deal and you're not really losing anything substantial AF-wise (for video) from what I can tell.

Actually you could look at it the other way around...for 1K, you pretty much get the best of the video features of the A7R2, minus the stabilization. That being said, the A7RII seems to still best all around camera for the most complete set of features, on paper. 

7 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:
17 minutes ago, EyeSoul said:

pretty nice lookin footage.

Underlit and not at all flattering. :/

Definitely underlit and other technical bloopers if we analyze the footage to that degree.My point is the clarity of the image is undeniably nice. 

1 hour ago, EyeSoul said:

Definitely underlit and other technical bloopers if we analyze the footage to that degree.My point is the clarity of the image is undeniably nice. 

Actually, my first thought was "it could use some diffusion." It's a little crunchy-sharp for my taste. 

Also, those skintones are WACK, man. Crazy flatness and oversaturation in the yellows. Some skin colors fare better than others, but none hold a candle to Panasonic/Blackmagic.