Jump to content
Nikkor

Sony a6300 4k

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am doing a test right now and it just lasted 30mins record limit and i hit record again straight away. Lets see how far it gets. No heating messages yet. 

Its sitting on my desk on my in my camera cage with the battery door open and screen popped out. It has native glass on not with built in OSS (sony 55 f1.8)

Set on 4k 25fps with AF-C with no picture profile selected. 100mb 

8mins in to the (38 mins in total) so far and still looking ok. The battery is slightly warm but was expecting much worse. 

I know its different out in the field / sun etc but so far this is more than i need. 

Wonder if adaptors / OSS lens heats it up? 

Will report back soon after it has over heated. 

Update: at 39 mins over heat icon flashed up. Got another 10 mins out of it after that. So 49mins in total. Popped the battery out and its warm but would not say overly hot. 

Ive switched in another battery and hit record so lets see how long that lasts. 

Update 2: With the new battery inserted i got 15mins before overheat icon appeared. It lasted to 23.30 min before shutting down. 

So with 2 batteries i got 38 mins on the first and 23 mins on the second with about 45 seconds in between.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered mine today. Even with all the downsides, it is still appealing to me as the right company to my g7. Will do some tests when it arrive (there is no official seller where i live, so i've bought from a guy on the usa which will come back by the end of this month).

 

As i live in Brazil, overheating is my only concern. Its pretty hot around here. But under controlled situations i think it could shine. If, as reported, there is that much heat coming from the battery, wouldn't help when a third party grip gets released, or using a dummy battery on a powerbank? Anyone already tried that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Liam said:

 

Damn...that is one fine image. Skintones are kinda flat and blotchy, and the rolling shutter in the background is horrendous (no idea why he did that); however, the DR, resolution, and fine grain really bowled me over. 

Good thing I don't have enough money to be tempted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree about the background RS, but realistically, there's probably no situation that you'd be orbiting around a subject that fast anyway.

I like the skintones a lot, but they did become flatter and less detailed at night, but hey what do you expect?

This camera's footage is consistently some of the best I've seen; just seems to be a problem of usability more than anything.

If you can use a USB battery pack, hopefully, 2 of the major problems with this cam (and every other Sony cam lol) will be solved (poor battery and strange size).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dynamic range and low light performance is amazing.  Rolling shutter is as bad as it gets.  Maybe the worst yet?  Still a buy for the price, but coupled with a overheating issues, I'm already dreaming of the a6300 successor.

I'm just gonna guess that rolling shutter and overheating are not issues in 1080p.  And since I shoot in 1080p on the gimbal because I'm actively framing my shots, and only in 4K when I'm doing a slow zoom effect in post on a still shot or a reframe to break up the monotony of a long still shot, I think I can still make this my A camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Rolling Shutter - actually I like it in this video since it emphasizes the motion and scale of the city... Are there maybe examples where you find the RS a useful stylistic device or is it always something to be avoided?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rs3d said:

Regarding Rolling Shutter - actually I like it in this video since it emphasizes the motion and scale of the city... Are there maybe examples where you find the RS a useful stylistic device or is it always something to be avoided?

Imagine you were shooting a movie with a1st person perspective of a character who was drugged or poisoned, you could really use rolling shutter heavily as a style for that shot, but in general, you want to try to minimise it from the level some cameras display, because it is too much, but trying to avoid it on some cameras becomes more effort than it is worth - plenty of great movies have it, but people are too involved in the story to notice or care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my generation is so used to it, because we started filming with dslr and it would not bother me that much. It`s excesive, the worst we`ve seen, but I would work with it if everything else was good on the camera. The 1080p footage is the biggest turn off for me personaly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sway of the background, yeah I see what you mean - works artistically in some cases. Sounds ridiculous but it's true. Rare case though.

As you can see the image is stunning but I wish Sony would stop putting cameras out there with such stupid flaws such as overheating, rolling shutter and pixilated focus punch-in, they'd be so much better if they had a Canon-like bullet proof reliability about them. It's reaching a critical point now. I need to enjoy my Sony shoots more than I do otherwise I will sell the whole lot (A7S II, A6300, FS5) and get a 1D X Mark II.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DayRaven said:

Imagine you were shooting a movie with a1st person perspective of a character who was drugged or poisoned, you could really use rolling shutter heavily as a style for that shot, but in general, you want to try to minimise it from the level some cameras display, because it is too much, but trying to avoid it on some cameras becomes more effort than it is worth - plenty of great movies have it, but people are too involved in the story to notice or care.

That's seems quite a reach, but a shot that specialized, might as well be done in post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

 

As you can see the image is stunning but I wish Sony would stop putting cameras out there with such stupid flaws such as overheating, rolling shutter and pixilated focus punch-in, they'd be so much better if they had a Canon-like bullet proof reliability about them. 

I hope I'm around when that day comes! 

it's a $1000 camera that's pushing the boundaries of what's possible. When you do that things are never perfect across the board. If they toke the canon approach we would not see this camera for at least another two years. I think we need both approaches to service many different needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, DayRaven said:

 - plenty of great movies have it...

Ehhh, like what? Going through the top IMDB list and none of those films feature a rolling shutter. Except maybe a couple of Alexa ones but Alexa RS is quite small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

 

Ehhh, like what? Going through the top IMDB list and none of those films feature a rolling shutter. Except maybe a couple of Alexa ones but Alexa RS is quite small.

Not complete movies but technically all movies that used the 5D and BMPCC for some shots. And there are plenty of those.

Red One as well. And I think the Scarlet is RS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe you guys are dissecting this consumer camera way harder than an average user will. Once the price falls down to a more reasonable level (like A6000), these cams will be picked up by thousands of causal users like me - shooting photos and videos of your family and pets, usually clips shorter than 10 mins, documenting your travels, using high FPS sparingly etc. They (us) won't care about RS and overheating - IQ out of the box is key here.

Sony already caters to professionals with many models, so having this cheap option is just a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

I believe you guys are dissecting this consumer camera way harder than an average user will. Once the price falls down to a more reasonable level (like A6000), these cams will be picked up by thousands of causal users like me - shooting photos and videos of your family and pets, usually clips shorter than 10 mins, documenting your travels, using high FPS sparingly etc. They (us) won't care about RS and overheating - IQ out of the box is key here.

Sony already caters to professionals with many models, so having this cheap option is just a bonus.

Cool story bro,but it doesn't make the rolling shutter or overheating any better (for those who care, like the posters on this forum).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...