Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

Would really like to see an option with a key combination to trim the last X minutes of video as a separte clip. Kind of a dashcam functionality, might even stop the recording.
Not sure if the trim functionality is avilable at this time via scripts?
Alternatively a datetime save to text file would allow for that in post.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can't get this working on nx1. Actually, it worked 2 times (tried hibernate (ev+ael) and load profile (ev+up) where it said "no profile"), but since then can't get it working - nothing happens when I press the key combinations. When I insert sd card again, it shows "bt mod already installed". It also deletes info, install and nx_cs files from sd root and I think, it once deleted also the scripts folder. Firmware 1.40.

Edit:

Got it working now. Seems that it doesn't work before the message "mod 1.38". Maybe the mod isn't loaded before it. Once I think I got the message by pressing Fn button, but maybe it was some other thing I did.

1 hour ago, ReinisK said:

Edit:

Got it working now. Seems that it doesn't work before the message "mod 1.38". Maybe the mod isn't loaded before it. Once I think I got the message by pressing Fn button, but maybe it was some other thing I did.

For me it's the playback button.

Thanks everyone that worked on the bitrate hack and the no limit rec one ass well. Im enjoying my NX1 more because of you guys. I really appreciate it. If i can pay you guys with a beer or coffee send me the the rite place so i can make it happen. Sorry for not naming everyone but if ill miss someone ill feel bad, i been looking here since it started and joined this thread and forum in March because of all this, see its going great, wish Samsung would have seen the potential that everyone here see's in the NX1 and the NX500. 

What are the highest stable bitrates you guys can set to with Kino's Mod Pack v1.40?

I found the 200mbps to be pretty stable for me on 25fps from 1080p to 2160p the 4k mode is just cropped and upscaled 2160p avoid it folks.

100fps I am still trying to experiment, I am going to try a long record session with the camera with the various bitrate settings to see what is stable.

NX500 seems to have various issues like running of memory if I have too high bitrate so more experimenting must be done there. There seems to be no difference for me whether I use my 64GB LEXAR 2000x or the 64GB LEXAR 400x cards, they all seem to take the same bitrates, the 200mbps seemed to run just fine on the LEXAR 400x too.

Just tested the mod ver 1.42 on a Sony sdxc u3 class 10 64gb 94MB/S read and 70MB/S write card and mod 1.42 seems smoother and more responsive and don't get the card to slow message as with and then Mod 1.38 and i used SDFormatter on PC to format my card. Im using the default 180mb bitrate In 4K.Im pasting the link to the formating sd card tool, can be used in windows or mac(  SD formatter Tool ) https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html if posting links is a no go ill remove it.

16 hours ago, cisco150 said:

Thanks everyone that worked on the bitrate hack and the no limit rec one ass well. Im enjoying my NX1 more because of you guys. I really appreciate it. If i can pay you guys with a beer or coffee send me the the rite place so i can make it happen. Sorry for not naming everyone but if ill miss someone ill feel bad, i been looking here since it started and joined this thread and forum in March because of all this, see its going great, wish Samsung would have seen the potential that everyone here see's in the NX1 and the NX500. 

Hi cisco150,

Well, the effort is/was spread between various contributors (in temporal order of first contribution):

1. Otto - initial break in the camera (through information gleaned from the NX500 service manual, which allowed access to a root shell); also various utilities that are enhancing the photo side of the camera as well as providing the user interface you can see used by various mod packs, and the bluetooth hook; low bitrate 2.5K mod for NX500.
  2. Myself: all my work to date was basically about video: access to DEV menu to (among others) disable video recording limits, high bitrates for all video modes for NX1 and NX500 and high bitrate for NX500 / 2.5K. I am also looking into other more difficult aspects of the camera operation but I won't comment about it because nothing came out yet.
  3. Kino Seed (and maybe others) - packaging and fine tuning the results of 1. and 2. above.

If you would like to recognize the above work there's no one place for everything: Otto suggests you contribute to a charity as a recognition of his efforts. I am looking to get some more NX lenses (so far I am about 1/3 :-( of the way to my first wish (take a look here), and Kino Seed did not mention anything.

In addition, you might pledge here to help make a camera available to me to (a) stop using my own camera for my investigations - two months of intensive research use resulted in a loose power button that needs replacement and (b) to enable some dangerous experiments for which I do not dare risk my own camera but which might benefit the user base - an example would be a permanent hook that does not depend on bluetooth and would be instantly available upon power on.

Hope this helps

regards

5 minutes ago, cisco150 said:

Any paypal use or somthing like it, i can send a donation to Vasile and donate to any charity Otto suggest and Kino Seed let us know how can we thank you.

Please take a look at the top of this - I am trying to keep it permanently up to date (not difficult :-). Kind regards.

edit: If you want a bit of background about my work, take a look at this (download into Excel preferable):

49 minutes ago, vasile said:

Please take a look at the top of this - I am trying to keep it permanently up to date (not difficult :-). Kind regards.

edit: If you want a bit of background about my work, take a look at this (download into Excel preferable):

Ok thanks again, donation done, hope you get everything you need as there is a lot of people this would help out. every little bit helps. Looking at the list there should be a lot more on there lol. where here in this world to help each other out or thats how it should be more minds are better then one.

2 hours ago, vasile said:

which your Paypal donation email?

What's the best card for recording these insane bitrates? Outerbeat, what are you using to get 250mbps? It's getting hard to keep track of stuff.

I contributed. Really appreciate the great work.

8 hours ago, Herb said:

Outerbeat, what are you using to get 250mbps?

As for now and with latest update of Kino Seed's mod-pack I use SANDISK Extreme Pro SDXC 64GB Class 10 UHS-I U1 (95/90 Mb/s) for 250 mbps but you need to understand that bitrate actually recourse consuming option, and NX1 resourses are limited and other functions rely on them as well. So, with 250 mbps you can do very soft and slow footage without any complex scenes like smoke or fountains close-ups, fast moving objects or fast panning, So, if you intended to shoot, say, field and sky or interior from tripod without any fast pan or tilt - you be able to record like 1-2 good minutes of 250 mbps. I can manage like up to 4 minutes. And this is without sound, because with sound there is a problem with any bitrate more then 190-200, for now. With fast moving picture there is a problem - for encode this type of frame codec needs more resourses that NX1 can manage for this, so record drops with sd-card slow speed message. Presumable there is a memory problem involved and if I understand right - guys tried to manage this, but not yet and there is a big "maybe"

I think with latest script modifications and optimizations there is no big problem with any sdcard, maybe a little differences like 10 mbps so no big deal. You can use any sdcard with UHS-I or UHS-II specification

Dear nx hack developers,

first of all thanks for giving us our time to improve the abandoned NX1. It's great to see the progress made in the last months but the thread is, to my mind, shifting in the wrong direction, namely a race of bitrates and framerates.

I think the goal is to make a more potent video camera for production and as a result the focus should lay on other factors like the goal to record 10bit color internally to increase the downsides the camera still faces in post production.

I know that this can be very difficult to implement and that you are just a little group.

I also know that it's diffcult to realize with no support by samsung but this would be my goals:

• 10 Bit color
  • Cropmarks (popular aspect ratios)- if graphics stuff is even possible
  • Waveform, Vectorscope & Histogramm - if graphics stuff is even possible
  • activate focus peaking always on/off and magic zoom on button press for lenses with passively adapted lenses, so you dont always klick the touchscreen icon
  • easy clean fast settings UI

does anyone have a link to the latest version of the kino seed hack ? btw 200mbps seems to be the ceiling for this camera and I am fine with it. 200mbps looks fantastic and is completely changing my opinions of the camera and even my workflow. 200mbps is an absolute nightmare to edit and I recommend those struggling to run those files on their system to transcode to something like dnxhd 422 and edit those. Some may not see a benefit because the rendering of the image is relatively the same in terms of image processing but upon closer inspection I can not find any macroblocking even shooting handheld in high motion scenes. Detail is preserved in each frame minus the smudging,artifacting and macroblocking people encountered when grading the footage, converting to a LOG color space etc.

when uploading footage to vimeo (especially pro account users) I recommend exporting to cineform. It preserves a lot of detail

thought i'd share