Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

50 minutes ago, SMGJohn said:

From what I have read early on was that 4k is upscaled 2160p and cropped in-camera, this was made from the conclusion that it lacks sharpness and had more aliasing than UHD. 

Whether this really is the case is debatable because I have no idea how it really works, it could be true line skipping for all I know. 

When I shoot 2160p or 4k in NX500 I get fine noise grain like in 1440p mode, its just smaller grain which is expected duo to higher resolution. Why is this? I use Kino's Mod Pack 1.62m, was this a standard feature on the NX500 before the hack? I am too lazy to uninstall and reinstall on my vacation just to check it, can any NX500 owner confirm with me if this was the case? 1080p mode has the ugly NR as we know it, hurts me everytime i look at that blue swirling death atoms on high ISO videos shot from NX1.

LEFT - 1440p mode from NX500 (140mbps) | RIGHT - 2160p mode from NX500 (160mbps)

vlcsnap-error983.pngvlcsnap-error918.png

What ISO? But seriously if this is below 6400 the NX1 really sucks in low light... nothing NR off can solve...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, sandro said:

What ISO? But seriously if this is below 6400 the NX1 really sucks in low light... nothing NR off can solve...

No this is Samsung NX500 in 1440p and 2160p mode at 6400ISO (highest it will go)

There appears to be no NR on in these video modes with Kino's Mod Pack, but I am not sure if his Mod Pack turned off NR for UHD mode for some reasons. Also if you apply noise reduction on these footages it looks way better than NX1 at 6400ISO

The fact its not colour noise either means a lot of colour is saved as well.

HI Guys, I would like to thank you all for the incredible work you have done so far. i bought a camera during the week, just because of this thread, and hopefully the great images that this little budget cam can resolve. please could someone point me in the direction of a explainer video for how the mods work once installed. I have Kino mod pack installed (NX -KS) from today, and it comes up with the ver number when the camera boots, but I have no idea how to access the menu to change the bitrates etc ? sorry if its noob, I did try to read all 64 pages of this thread, but I may have dozed off once or twice :D

2 hours ago, Garth Philpot said:

please could someone point me in the direction of a explainer video for how the mods work once installed. I have Kino mod pack installed (NX -KS) from today, and it comes up with the ver number when the camera boots, but I have no idea how to access the menu to change the bitrates etc ? sorry if its noob, I did try to read all 64 pages of this thread, but I may have dozed off once or twice :D

Wow you can just read readme file which placed in every NX-KS mod-pack and even here fulltext twice, OK. I can do dirty digging for you, no problem. Here is two first chapters of that file:

How to install:

1) start with a clean memory card (no files), turn-on your Bluetooth
      2) unzip the contents of the zip into the root of the sdcard
      3) put the card in the camera, and start the camera
      4) have some patience (there can be 1 or 2 auto-reboots)
      5) when BT-Mod is complete there will be [ Installation Complete ] message, followed by reboot
      6) after boot, you will see [ Mod V1.xx ] (if you don't see it in 15 seconds, turn on the Bluetooth)
      x) to uninstall select: main menu > settings> Uninstall Mod

Key-combinations EV+*:
      AEL: immediate hibernation
      UP: load UP profile
      DOWN: load DN profile
      RIGHT: Bug-Zapper
      Half-Press-Shutter: focus pull
      mobile: telnet
      EV (double-click EV): Main Menu  (NX500)
      OK: Main Menu (NX1)

2 hours ago, Garth Philpot said:

i bought a camera during the week, just because of this thread

Well, how you can do that because of this thread, if even only in this one particular thread one of the hack authors, Vasile, strongly recommend NOT to do it? Please, there is no problem to find any info about this hack, since it's far from being hidden.

All the tech info here along with all the steps of progress
Here is all versions of NX-KS
All the tests and discussions about what work and what doesn't here on EOSHD and mostly on DPR

Please be advised that using of that hack might violate warranty in case of any troubles with you device, authors in every way do all stuff to exclude such thing, but still - it IS hack and it might be dangerous for camera.

I read that, and tried to do the EV + thing.  lol. incase you didnt notice< i have hacked the camera successfully, it says mod installed, and I followed the txt file in the folder. I just dont know how to access where to change the bitrate . EV + OK does not do anything on my camera... (nx1)

outerbeat: can you walk me through the focus pull, how you did it for video. The newest mod has focus buttons which I assume are meant to work as focus points.

Any way, For the focus pull stacking

Ok

• set near,
  • set far, then
  • whatever than cont. thing does 6 second delay 100 frames, which I guess means the pull starts in 6 sec and will run for 100 frames- Then how to start?
  • Do I hit the camera record button,
  • then hit the start, on the monitor display, button

is that right?

or are you using the focus pull function. I don't get how than one is supposed to work.

can't get it to work right nx1 1.67

20 minutes ago, Garth Philpot said:

I read that, and tried to do the EV + thing. like being a dick much ? lol. incase you didnt notice< i have hacked the camera successfully, it says mod intsalled, and I followed the txt file in the folder. I just dont know how to access where to change the bitrate . EV + OK does not do anything on my camera... (nx1)

That's what mine was doing until I noticed in the instructions that you had to have bluetooth on before you installed the mod. After I turned it on and re-installed the mod, it worked properly.

11 minutes ago, NX1user said:

That's what mine was doing until I noticed in the instructions that you had to have bluetooth on before you installed the mod. After I turned it on and re-installed the mod, it worked properly.

mine is on :) but I will format the card again and put the fils back to see if that fixes it. also, i am at the latest firmware, just incase anyone is wondering...

42 minutes ago, Garth Philpot said:

EV + OK does not do anything on my camera... (nx1)

Yeah, I see that you install the mod of course. You did see the "version number" message, right? If so - than hack-mod is running.

About buttons. It happens sometimes when new release are tested on nx500 but not on NX1 since that guys who did the hack have only nx500's on their hands, so NX1 test are out part of work, well, community wise :)

I just checked v1.67b on my nx1 and it works. Just check bluetooth (I see you did this) wait for version number message (checked) and press OK while holding EV. You must see hack-menu on LCD screen, if you using EVF just push the EVF button to LCD ON or use EV+OK - that turn LCD on the same way, and hack-menu appears.

1 minute ago, outerbeat said:

Yeah, I see that you install the mod of course. You did see the "version number" message, right? If so - than hack-mod is running.

About buttons. It happens sometimes when new release are tested on nx500 but not on NX1 since that guys who did the hack have only nx500's on their hands, so NX1 test are out part of work, well, community wise :)

I just checked v1.67b on my nx1 and it works. Just check bluetooth (I see you did this) wait for version number message (checked) and press OK while holding EV. You must see hack-menu on LCD screen, if you using EVF just push the EVF button to LCD ON or use EV+OK - that turn LCD on the same way, and hack-menu appears.

Yes, i should have mentioned, i do get the message, but its 1.67m, not b ?

1 hour ago, chauncy said:

outerbeat: can you walk me through the focus pull, how you did it for video. The newest mod has focus buttons which I assume are meant to work as focus points.

Any way, For the focus pull stacking

Ok

• set near,
  • set far, then
  • whatever than cont. thing does 6 second delay 100 frames, which I guess means the pull starts in 6 sec and will run for 100 frames- Then how to start?
  • Do I hit the camera record button,
  • then hit the start, on the monitor display, button

is that right?

or are you using the focus pull function. I don't get how than one is supposed to work.

Focus Pull test video was recorded with NX-KS mod-pack v1.59m
I've been busy to check focus pull on newer versions properly with video record, but focus pull itself worked with 1.58 and 1.59 - that I've tested.

Walkthrough:

1. Set bitrate to 100 mbps, it's safety thing to check overall workability
2. Go to MF and focus on any distance
3. When focused - press EV and while holding it - press half shutter. That will save first focus point
4. Refocus on new distance, wait for "focus helpers" disappears
5. Now you can use EV+half-shutter to fly between the two focus distances, you can try to do so
6. Start the video (with chosen bitrate obviously)
7. Wait like 3-4 seconds to release codec priority, press EV and hold, wait 1-2 sec and press halfshutter also, Repeat with caution
8. If you do right - focus starts pulling (there was slow speed on that version of hack due to many inconsistences with that option)

If you got the "sdcard is slow" message - it's probably because focus pull is working but bitrate is high to do so in you enviroment, so just go to steps 1-8 and lower bitrate.
I used Sandisk 95MB/s sdcard, NX1 with 16-50 F 2.0/2.8 ED OIS S lense

I can't run Focus stacking with video with this old NX-KS version, only focus pull which I described. Newer versions are new to me also, I didn't check them yet for this, but I will do that soon. Hope this helps.

29 minutes ago, Garth Philpot said:

Yes, i should have mentioned, i do get the message, but its 1.67m, not b ?

This one, to be precise on my end, they are the same. I've tested that version, it's working

1 hour ago, chauncy said:

I just run test video with aforementioned Focus Pull walkthrough on last NX-KS version 1.67m (aka v1.67b added safety (Mod blocked if Recording)+) and it worked fine like with previous old version of hack.

ok, I have installed 1.67b, after a card format. it installs successfully, and it brings up the version number. still no difference for me (EV+ OK). what should this new menu look like ? perhaps I am just not seeing it and its a small icon or something ? do I have to have completed the dev menu unlock that i read somewhere back in this forum for this to work correctly ? thanks

also, it will not install 1.67b, it stays reporting 1.67m, even though it says [lets clean up'...] , now mod free...

@Garth Philpot 1.67b is shows "1.67m" message also, so don't worry about that. From all I see you install very correct way. I've also installed another 1.67, and check it out. All works, I can see the menu after loading in any versions. Here it is, hack menu:

22111.jpg

When you press the EV button - is there an exposure compensation little menu on the bottom of the screen? Grey one with +2 or something alike.
When you press the OK button in menu or function dialog - does OK button work there?
Which firmware are you using for NX1 body? Need to be 1.40

30 minutes ago, Garth Philpot said:

ok, I have installed 1.67b, after a card format. it installs successfully, and it brings up the version number. still no difference for me (EV+ OK). what should this new menu look like ? perhaps I am just not seeing it and its a small icon or something ? do I have to have completed the dev menu unlock that i read somewhere back in this forum for this to work correctly ? thanks

Dumb question, but you do it like this : press EV, click OK while EV still pressed, release EV?

48 minutes ago, Garth Philpot said:

also, it will not install 1.67b, it stays reporting 1.67m, even though it says [lets clean up'...] , now mod free...

Don't forget to turn-on Bluetooth, then press EV, hold it, and while pushed down, press OK (if you are an NX1 user), otherwise double-click EV.
When in doubt, follow the instructions to a tee.

thanks folks, let me put down what i can see, i appreciate your input.

body firmware is at 1.40.

if i look at your screen, i see a difference in that I have no BT icon at the top of the screen. reset all defaults in the menu, and re-installed the mod version you linked to...

here are the screen shots of how your screen is different, and how my menu says BT is ON

Yes, confirmed, press EV (hold) click ok, then release both.

the only other thing I can think that different is I dont have a lens to attach yet, I will have that tomorrow.

IMG_20160515_201341.jpg

IMG_20160515_201544.jpg

14 minutes ago, Garth Philpot said:

thanks folks, let me put down what i can see, i appreciate your input.

body firmware is at 1.40.

it i look at your screen, i see a difference in that I have no BT icon at the top of the screen. reset all defaults in the menu, and re-installed the mod version you linked to...

here are the screen shots of how your screen is different, and how my menu says BT is ON

Yes, confirmed, press EV (hold) click ok, then release both.

the only other thing I can think that different is I dont have a lens to attach yet, I will have that tomorrow.

It would not install if you didn't have the correct firmware, so you don't have to worry about that.
If after boot, you see something like [Mod V1.xx], that means Mod is loaded.
Now check the key-scan. Press EV_UP, if it works you will get a message "Preset missing"
(I wonder if the keyscan didn't load for some reason, or your buttons are mapped differently)