Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any updates on changing the color sampling method for video? I know Kino Seed (and someone else, I think) found a set of parameters and I think color settings including RGB and 444 were options in OP2. 

Also any progress on removing all time limits on NX500, and adding uncropped 4k?

2 hours ago, Sawstory said:

After all that progress in the last few weeks , any new hope for silent shutter NX1? thanks all for the very good work 

Nope. This will require T-Kernel break-in and neither me nor any sane person would attempt this on anything BUT a burner cam.

If burner cam available and significant effort/time then chance > 0.

1 hour ago, vaga said:

Any updates on changing the color sampling method for video? I know Kino Seed (and someone else, I think) found a set of parameters and I think color settings including RGB and 444 were options in OP2. 

Also any progress on removing all time limits on NX500, and adding uncropped 4k?

Nope. Kino Seed saw it in the kernel sources but from there to modding anything is like going from being me (hint: I am not a string theorist) to being a string theorist (like, for example, Sheldon Cooper). Comparison intentional because the fact that an interface (API) has been published does not mean it has also been implemented (just like Sheldon who has not yet discovered anything AFAIK).

On 6/5/2016 at 0:41 AM, kidzrevil said:

does anyone have a link to the latest version of the kino seed hack ? btw 200mbps seems to be the ceiling for this camera and I am fine with it. 200mbps looks fantastic and is completely changing my opinions of the camera and even my workflow. 200mbps is an absolute nightmare to edit and I recommend those struggling to run those files on their system to transcode to something like dnxhd 422 and edit those. Some may not see a benefit because the rendering of the image is relatively the same in terms of image processing but upon closer inspection I can not find any macroblocking even shooting handheld in high motion scenes. Detail is preserved in each frame minus the smudging,artifacting and macroblocking people encountered when grading the footage, converting to a LOG color space etc.

when uploading footage to vimeo (especially pro account users) I recommend exporting to cineform. It preserves a lot of detail

thought i'd share

@lucabutera I've posted here screen grab from this footage and drop the link on original NX1 file few days earlier. Youtube version is far from ok for the any test unrelated to youtube itself ))

Here the link to original 250 mbps file from this session. Author send me this one since he doesn't registred at eoshd and dpr, and give me permission to share

13 hours ago, iamoui said:

The motion looks jerky to me. Look at the flags in the first clip. Dropped frames? High shutter speed?

Yeah, there is dropped frames all right. Also bit windy day so tripod is shaking and it's author's first shooting after he installed bitrate hack ever.

After the first two scenes, the motion seems to be really smooth to me. I think, perhaps why I felt that the motion cadence was jerky before the hack was dropped frames. I guess, somehow, the hack (for certain samples I've seen at least) seems to improve the cadence a lot. 

6 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

anyone experience random dropped frames when shooting at 180 & up ?

I think you have slow card.

I have pushed bitrate from 180Mbps (no issues) to 250Mbit and get only 25 fps (it should be 30p) - recording time is more than 2 minutes without any slow card message (no sound)

320Mbit - works too but record. time around 20 seconds with only 22fps (no sound)

320Mbit - x5 timelapse works fine, full 29.97fps, no issues (thank you Kino Seed for suggestion! :-))

Lexar 64GB 2000x UHS-II, original Vasile's bitrate hack

So my opinion is that if you have dropped frames it means that card is not fast enough

59 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I literally have the same card you have. I am using the kino seed version of the hack is that the problem ? @Pavel Mašek

You can catch some dropped frames with any bitrate, but this number increases with increased bitrates, yes. It's not about sdcard I presume, it's mostly of the camera settings which can affect codec itself and it goes wild. I can tell that even with standart 80 mbps bitrate, before the hack FHD@120 have dropped frames. It's heavily affected by camera settings and enviroment of the record.

1 hour ago, Pavel Mašek said:

I have pushed bitrate from 180Mbps (no issues) to 250Mbit and get only 25 fps (it should be 30p) - recording time is more than 2 minutes without any slow card message (no sound)

Me too with sandisk 95MB\s

But you need to test your footages, it easy to do in any video editor or player, you just need to find file properties and see is there variable or constant frame rate. It will tell you about dropped frames during the record of this file.

17 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I literally have the same card you have. I am using the kino seed version of the hack is that the problem ? @Pavel Mašek

I have realized that it also proves also somehow limited computing capability on NX1 with high bitrates (what we see in 120fps and max 100Mbit is seen also in 4K with bitrate above 200Mbps)... I have made lot clips with 180Mbps and there were no dropped frames what I have seen so far (I have check it via PotPlayer). I think that 24p200Mbps should be without issues if 30p180Mbps is fine (lower framerate -> higher bitrate)... I think even 220Mbit should be fine.

I have not use Kino Seed's version yet but it should be same or better (according experience of Outerbeat and others), I will wait a little while to test it (morerover it seems that Otto K just found the way how to make it built-in which is great http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4000563?page=5 )

7 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

I have not use Kino Seed's version yet but it should be same or better

Well now is the time :)

It's stable and pretty much fast. You don't need to follow exact last version, any from 1.47 are OK, but I recommend to use latest one at the moment. I'd say you find it more practical than sd-card scripts. Also there is a little "readme related" problem, since guys work fast and do so much things, there is no way one of them can be proper technical writer for the project and here is the problem (not so much problem but somewhat inconvenience) - early adopters might be in far more vantage point since they follow the progress with developers and there is no need to explain everything between them, and any last adopters need to ask more and more with each version of hack, because proper technical writer is very hard work and obviously not so beneficial in terms of progress.

It is what it is, yes. Early adopters are testers, so I can understand you if have no time for this, but here my 2 cents

10 hours ago, outerbeat said:

It is what it is, yes. Early adopters are testers, so I can understand you if have no time for this, but here my 2 cents

I really appreciate your hard work as tester - it is really great contribution.

Honestly - I have tried one of very very early version of Kino Seed's version and then rather stick to original Vasile's BT hack becuase it basically fixed most important issue to me of NX1 (macroblocking) and I am fine with it (except longer booting). I know that last versions are probably big leap from earlier versions (also because of you)- I will definitely try it but updates comes so fast (which is great!) and I was 2 weeks without internet connection so I am little bit lost now :))   

BTW  :-) - my name is Pavel (first name) Masek (surname). MaÅ¡ek corrupted because of unsupported diacritics from FB login...