Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

@kidzrevil 

You just need to follow instructions on the dpr page, but I can put them here:

How to install:
1) start with a clean memory card (no files)
2) unzip the contents of the zip into the root of the sdcard
3) put card in camera, and restart
x) to uninstall mod - from custom menu> settings> Uninstall Mod

To change bitrate start the camera wait for [loading complete] message push EV button see menu and take "bitrate" option. There you can insert all numbers for each quality option, also you can push "current" and change current bitrate which camera operates right now, e.g. your last settings

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can confirm Outerbeats findings. I was lurking in the shadows until something bigger happens, but my video assignment for today made me to step forward and try to install the hack.
To my findings it was super easy and the hack works perfectly with my budget card Transcend Ultimate 600x 64GB SDXC 90MB/s Class 10 (which offeres best price/performance for the lowest price). The card heats up, but as others said already, until its hot to melting point (which won't happen), no problem at all. With that NX1 can do
- 200mbit for 6 sec
- 195mbit for aprox. 6,5 minut
- 190mbit no stopping after 12 minutes.. 

Not sure what changed, but great job guys, very much so!

Just caught up with this thread, are most people formatting with the windows/other os format program?

Ive been using https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

For the longest time it has worked way better than anything windows does, as my first test with a sandisk extreme pro 32GBs uhs-1 gave me 200mbs right off the bat. Try this and reformat the cards and see if you gain speed. Might work for the uhs-2 card that seem slower than they should.

Still sorting through firmware and dumping data from the camera. My day job has gotten busy so I have not had the time to post here but I have not slowed down my work. But whats happened is amazing, seems like more people are finding these mods, maybe samsung will notice.

6 minutes ago, Chant said:

are most people formatting with the windows/other os format program?

Time to time I do format in camera, almost never by windows. Big thanks for the link, will test

8 minutes ago, Chant said:

Still sorting through firmware and dumping data from the camera. My day job has gotten busy so I have not had the time to post here but I have not slowed down my work.

Great news, thanks!

I just took some test shots at 200 mbps and wow. I am blown away at how functional and intuitive the gui is. It is incredibly easy to change the bitrates and the payoff in image quality makes it a no brainer to install. This definitely needs a bit more attention than it is getting because this will do for the nx1 what raw did for the 5D. @outerbeat @vasile 

would be dope if we could get the camera to load a LUT instead of a picture profile. I mean if we can't get raw maybe we can get the image processing to use a LUT and then give us a h.265 image straight to the card ? That would be incredible, we could make LUT's to give us our own LOG profiles etc.

That is handheld + stabilized lens + DIS or no DIS?
I have to say, before my biggest concern with NX1 was CTUs(bigger chunks of macroblocks) and motion cadency, which was choppy and somewhat.. Disturbing. Couldnt quite find out the cause in order to solve it. The 200mbps increase seems to solved both of these major issues. And quite well I have to say!! I have a 6 hour commercial shooting today so will post my findings with functionality of latest hack

53 minutes ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

That is handheld + stabilized lens + DIS or no DIS?

No DIS, I shoot it with cheap but practical steadycam and samsung S 16-50 lens with OIS on and mostly with long focus

56 minutes ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

I have to say, before my biggest concern with NX1 was CTUs(bigger chunks of macroblocks) and motion cadency, which was choppy and somewhat.. Disturbing. Couldnt quite find out the cause in order to solve it. The 200mbps increase seems to solved both of these major issues. And quite well I have to say!! I have a 6 hour commercial shooting today so will post my findings with functionality of latest hack

That is exactly right, biggest achievements so far is the more extreme grading options, codec artifacts and motion cadance. HEVC work much better with big bitrates, in all nuances. Well, we have to wait or find new sd-cards, which can give us up to 320 mbps, and see what happens

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

damn those images are incredibly detailed

Yeah! Of course, it's very good weather. btight morning, but still, yes

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

I think the next priority for this hack since the bitrate update is a major success should be getting MJPEG instead of h.265 to be output. If not the LUT thing I mentioned earlier would be a serious game changer :-D

I'd like the LUT actually, because for H265 there is a huge step ahead as in bitrate in NX1, and in hardware\software options few years ahead, like you know, how much time I use for export this 1:56 min graded video with 200 mbps and 4K? It's like two and half minutes, that's all

@outerbeat very true. H265 has a lot of advantages and it is evident even back when Samsung increased bitrates with their firmware updates. Shooting with a LUT would be a great step towards squeezing more out of the NX1. I can imagine visioncolor making a LUT for the NX1 hack and really taking it to the next level

11 hours ago, shanebrutal said:

Yeah try DIS with OIS on, it's very smooth on the 16-50 S. Tripod like if you hold still. I personally wouldnt use DIS without ois turned on if the lens supports it.

But I'm a fan of DIS turned on with vintage adapted glass too.

How much is the focal length multiplier with DIS on?

I wish the higher bitrate would also allow a better low light performance. At least a ISO3200 without those horrible lines.

6 minutes ago, outerbeat said:

Do you know if its possible to change the key for the menu? I actually use the EV button and changing it to something else in camera seems more like a hassle when I am already so used to it and the symbol for it is there, I would want to change the menu button to either Fn or AEL as I never use those ever.

Do I just copy paste the commands for the AEL and EV_EV files in the hack??