Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The car going by at the end is still jerky. I didn't realize the sky had the blue-green color in your original footage! It looks strange...

Definitely, the footage looks very crisp, and DR potential is evident. I think my plan will be to shoot 2.5k for any scene with cars/fast action and 4k for closeups and people centric things or wide openings. 

@kidzrevil fine footage, there is no dropped frames I think, just hand-record without DIS and this is cool. I liked your grading not maybe in terms of aestetic but in technical way that shows pretty much wide possibilities of camera+bitrate. Without hack it can't go so well after hand-shooting it must be far more jerky and "strobed" as it seems now I think

Just now, outerbeat said:

@kidzrevil fine footages, there is no dropped frames I think, just hand-record without DIS and this is cool. I liked your grading not maybe in terms of aestetic but in technical way that shows pretty much wide possibilities of camera+bitrate. Without hack it can't go so well after hand-shooting it must be far more jerky and "strobed" as it seems now I think

without the hack I would've panicked if I had to push the saturation and shadows so far ! I purposely used a contrasty (but great) profile like gamma c to test the bitrate stuff out. Foliage is still difficult to deal with on this camera because it gets super sharpened but the issues with footage have been resolved for the most part as well

8 minutes ago, vaga said:

The car going by at the end is still jerky. I didn't realize the sky had the blue-green color in your original footage! It looks strange...

Definitely, the footage looks very crisp, and DR potential is evident. I think my plan will be to shoot 2.5k for any scene with cars/fast action and 4k for closeups and people centric things or wide openings. 

I shift my hue towards magenta that's why the color looks like this. Shifting towards green creates a more realistic look in the blue channel but it can leave skintones looking sony green. I personally like the color...looks more analog to me. I don't think the camera gets increased DR at all. The camera always had decent DR, its no SLOG but it gets criticized too harshly in the DR department. So far all I think the increased bit rate is doing is help the camera retain details that h.265 and noise reduction would otherwise smear away

25 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Foliage is still difficult to deal with on this camera because it gets super sharpened

As for me I think that NX1 tends to forcing the operator to use more or less exposure in some scenes, which actually doesn't need to - I think in most cases MBL manipulations do the trick. I'm even considering to find a way to script MBL into one of the conrollers on camera, in order to set up MBL on the fly if this even possible, but it's only hopes for me yet ))

And I did not see any criminal oversharpeness in foliage in your footage, so, who knows, only you :)

25 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

So far all I think the increased bit rate is doing is help the camera retain details that h.265 and noise reduction would otherwise smear away

That is very true for me also

32 minutes ago, Sawstory said:

wow, nice and clean. why u did not used one of ur s lenses with stabilization?

Thank you ! I don't own any S lenses just some Zeiss glass. Definitely considering picking up their 40mm for run & gun though :-)

luckily this is just a test...dont need stabilization here and it helps shows the retention of detail that would otherwise be lossed shooting handheld with a compressed codec

22 minutes ago, sandro said:

Does DIS work OK with higher bitrate or it doesn't affect it in any way?

Oh, good question. It's need to be tested, I don't remember when I use DIS last time. Maybe there is progress here... so, how exactly we can provide reliable test fo DIS?

18 minutes ago, Soul-Brother said:

so I would like to know if 85MB/s write and 65MB/s read is enough for these quality hacks. 

520Mbps is flying along, right ?

Thanks man! As for you question I'd say your Lexar can do 150-160 mbps video in NX1 tops, which is pretty great, it's like two times better that original NX1 "pro" option which is 80 mbps. But I can be totally wrong in my prediction, don't let me stop you, just try and test it by yourself. Please, don't hesitate to update any info on this matter, because for now an sd-cards for decent 4K shooting are some sort of bottleneck in case of NX1 bitrate hack

If you going to try bitrate hack - here is best option, just read the readme file and do as it said, it's pretty much straightforward

27 minutes ago, outerbeat said:

Thanks man! As for you question I'd say your Lexar can do 150-160 mbps video in NX1 tops, which is pretty great, it's like two times better that original NX1 "pro" option which is 80 mbps. But I can be totally wrong in my prediction, don't let me stop you, just try and test it by yourself. Please, don't hesitate to update any info on this matter, because for now an sd-cards for decent 4K shooting are some sort of bottleneck in case of NX1 bitrate hack

If you going to try bitrate hack - here is best option, just read the readme file and do as it said, it's pretty much straightforward

150 mbps is the sweet spot imo. No lag & nearly twice the stock bitrate. I own the lexar 2000x 64gb

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

150 mbps is the sweet spot imo. No lag & nearly twice the stock bitrate. I own the lexar 2000x 64gb

Thanks for the test. Would love it if you could include some handheld panning shots in future tests (to see how it affects the motion cadence).

Regarding DIS: I don't know if it's just me but it seems buttery smooth compared to before the hack. I did some testing with 35mm canon FD and its really nice. Still though in my opinion DIS doesn't work well on anything over 35mm handheld. But with longer lenses and a rig or a Samsung OIS lens its like warp stabilizer.