Let's see what the Samsung NX1 is REALLY capable of - shooting 4K in sunny Lisbon

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

NX1 has a lot of banding, good to the in the sky. Is there any chance to solve the problem over the Shogun? The Resolution is outstanding, colour ist beautiful :wub:

​Probably more from vimeo compression than the camera. And possibly from the grade. I think. I have not had time to shoot much with my NX1 and it's been shitty weather since I got the camera. But from everything I have shot, no banding, at least thats what my eyes see :P

• 2 months later...

​Probably more from vimeo compression than the camera. And possibly from the grade. I think. I have not had time to shoot much with my NX1 and it's been shitty weather since I got the camera. But from everything I have shot, no banding, at least thats what my eyes see :P

​It is still difficult to attribute banding to conversion or camera. I think the camera introduces a decent amount of macro blocking and banding, and the conversion makes it worse. But even converting to 4444 doesn't solve this issues. So I'm not sure who's responsible.

Only a comparison with an external recorder could really bring an answer...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Andrew,

Thank you for all your tests, I read all your posts about the NX1.

For this video you used the internal H.265 encoding if I'm right (and not an external recorder).

I have one question : on the extracted frame below the blue sky has 'artefacts' (right corner) ; is this due to the JPEG compression or is it like that straight from the H.265 ?

This 4H frame (castle) : http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/nx1-castle.jpg

Thanks in advance !

Beny

Andrew,

Thank you for all your tests, I read all your posts about the NX1.

For this video you used the internal H.265 encoding if I'm right (and not an external recorder).

I have one question : on the extracted frame below the blue sky has 'artefacts' (right corner) ; is this due to the JPEG compression or is it like that straight from the H.265 ?

This 4H frame (castle) : http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/nx1-castle.jpg

Thanks in advance !

Beny

That's codec-related banding and totally normal in high contrast shots. Has to do with 8 bit color depth afaik, might be the compression, too, though. You see that all the time in mp4/mkv streams, don't know if Bluray is exempt from that, perhaps someone with deeper understanding can chime in?

That's codec-related banding and totally normal in high contrast shots. Has to do with 8 bit color depth afaik, might be the compression, too, though. You see that all the time in mp4/mkv streams, don't know if Bluray is exempt from that, perhaps someone with deeper understanding can chime in?

​Thanks for your reply :)

I checked more frames from multiple 4K videos, and it seems that the artefacts are a bit less visible, so maybe the JPEG compression 

​Thanks for your reply :)

I checked more frames from multiple 4K videos, and it seems that the artefacts are a bit less visible, so maybe the JPEG compression 

​Extracted frame, bummer, realizing that only now. :P Could have been in the original video as well, though, like I said, doesn't look uncommon to me.