Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

Couldn't agree more about the tiny blinking red light. G85 and I guess all the Gxx cameras have the same problem. 

Was pretty fair yea. I'm definitely going to turn the side pop menu off today. Just thinking where to map the wifi. And have hit that disp button by accident several times as well ha. edit: put wifi onto Fn1 for the moment

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Was pretty fair yea. I'm definitely going to turn the side pop menu off today. Just thinking where to map the wifi. And have hit that disp button by accident several times as well ha. 

Since I've been vlogging a bit, I assign Fn5 to Wifi and Fn4 (on G85) to Stabilization and have no use for the side pop-up side menu either. 

Get the firmware update here:

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh5.html

FHD 4:2:2 10-bit video recording has been added. It can be selected in either FHD [MP4 (LPCM)] or [MOV] recording format.

4:2:2 10-bit video recording has been added to Anamorphic (4:3) mode.

There was a problem in which the exposure adjustment did not operate properly during live view standby when the [SS/Gain Operation] display was set to [ANGLE/ISO] while [Variable Frame Rate] was selected for Creative Video mode. This has been fixed.

A problem in [V-LogL] of Photo Style mode where afterimages appeared when recording video under high ISO sensitivity settings has been fixed.

My GH5 kit arrived today. Unfortunately, the lens appears to be a dud.

The aperture dial on the camera shows the F stop changing on screen, but the aperture blades in the lens don't do anything. Maybe they're just stuck? Every other aspect of the lens is working correctly (autofocus, dual IS).

Other lenses are working fine. Anybody know if there's anything I can do, or is it probably going to have to be returned? Panasonic customer service is currently closed, so I can't ask them.

There is a  'topic' on Facebook in the GH5 user's group were many people are complaining about the camera locking up and ERASING ALL FILES ON THE SD CARD.

This happened apparently already to some folks and they have no clue what happened. One person is describing this problem and he is using brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro cards with Panasonic's own batteries. The camera locked up and all files on the SD card were gone. I have asked this person which firmware he had installed but no answer yet.

Anyway, is there any way we can report this 'officially' to Panasonic? I am planning to shoot weddings with this cam and this sounds very frightening. The camera locking up is one thing, but corrupting the card in the process is horribly unacceptable.

Anyone else had problems like this?

18 hours ago, TARS said:

My GH5 kit arrived today. Unfortunately, the lens appears to be a dud.

The aperture dial on the camera shows the F stop changing on screen, but the aperture blades in the lens don't do anything. Maybe they're just stuck? Every other aspect of the lens is working correctly (autofocus, dual IS).

Other lenses are working fine. Anybody know if there's anything I can do, or is it probably going to have to be returned? Panasonic customer service is currently closed, so I can't ask them.

Photos or video? In photo modes the aperture moves only when taking a photo. Before it stay fully open. In video aperture should change when rolling the wheel.

3 hours ago, Vesku said:

Photos or video? In photo modes the aperture moves only when taking a photo. Before it stay fully open. In video aperture should change when rolling the wheel.

In video mode.

Edit - In case anyone was wondering, I called Panasonic, and my options were to either exchange the whole kit at the store where I bought it, or keep it and send the lens to Panasonic's repair facility for Canada under warranty. The store where I bought it no longer has any stock and can't guarantee when they will get the next shipment, so I called the repair place to see how long the lens repair would take. They told me 4-6 weeks. So I'm just going to return the whole kit to the store. Hopefully, I'll get the new one sooner than that.

7 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

No one else is eperiencing the recording lag? Press record, camera takes like 8seconds before starting recording?

Using 2x lexar 128gb 1000x for dual card writing.

Happens occasionally, a few times a day.

There have been a bunch of people in the Facebook user group that have reported problems with Lexar cards in the GH5. It's obviously not definitive proof that's the problem, but it might be worth trying another brand.

That group is really active and worth joining if you haven't already.

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

No one else is eperiencing the recording lag? Press record, camera takes like 8seconds before starting recording?

Never had that happen on either my SanDisc Extreme Plus (90MB/s) or a Lexar (150MB/s) cards. To me it feels like the recording begins within a second every time. Now I've never had 2 cards in the camera at the same time. So I don't know if that's a factor. Are you also getting this lag with just one card in Slot A?

9 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I remember that there were already reported problems with lexa's cards in Samsung NX1.

In my GH5 the lag occurs when the recording stops, it takes about 2 or 3 seconds to stop after pressing the button.

1 hour ago, eltorrete said:

I remember that there were already reported problems with lexa's cards in Samsung NX1.

In my GH5 the lag occurs when the recording stops, it takes about 2 or 3 seconds to stop after pressing the button.

Happens to me to but not 3seconds usually when am in PAL mode and camera doesnt do slowmotion it works perfect asoon as i switch to CINEMA mode it slowsdown to about 3 sec but that could be my sd (Sandisk Pro)

34 minutes ago, Rava_Rama said:

Happens to me to but not 3seconds usually when am in PAL mode and camera doesnt do slowmotion it works perfect asoon as i switch to CINEMA mode it slowsdown to about 3 sec but that could be my sd (Sandisk Pro)

I always work on pal (I'm in Spain). I do not know if it would be better to work in NTSC to access more ways or could give some problem.

3 hours ago, eltorrete said:

I always work on pal (I'm in Spain). I do not know if it would be better to work in NTSC to access more ways or could give some problem.

yah i tryid NTSC as well and it does work without lag 

I dont think u will have issues running NTSC i mean you dont shoot for Tv broadcast? if not then 23.976 instead of 25fps is ok