Rode Wireless Pro - 32bit float, timecode, locking connection

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’ll pick it up for next season for sure.

I’ve been a user of the original Go since it came out and have used it on every job since.

Thought about upgrading to the Go2 but  haven’t, but will be with this.

Also a fan of their non-battery Micro shotgun mic which I ‘upgraded’ with a foam cover over the dead cat.

Solid compact kit for us run & gun minimalists.

49 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Looks pretty amazing. Where could they go from here?

Hopefully they also make some TC receivers that add onto the system to sync multiple cameras.

It does seem like the affordable end of the technology is nearing maturity...  good stuff 🙂 

Didn't address my issue, which wasn't about audio: its shiny and reflections can be distracting in some situations. Maybe its cool for TikTokers, but not for everybody.

If I was one of Japanese camera makers, I would make a collaboration deal with them to have the receiver unite inside the camera. Yea that increases the costs (hardware and license rights), but can be killer feature for a hybrid camera. Sony is too proud to accept any other audio brand superiority over itself. "RODE Inside" alpha? Forget about it. Canon thinks it has enough patent to do that its own way, and the whole idea is too radical for Nikon. 

23 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

Didn't address my issue, which wasn't about audio: its shiny and reflections can be distracting in some situations. Maybe its cool for TikTokers, but not for everybody.

If I was one of Japanese camera makers, I would make a collaboration deal with them to have the receiver unite inside the camera. Yea that increases the costs (hardware and license rights), but can be killer feature for a hybrid camera. Sony is too proud to accept any other audio brand superiority over itself. "RODE Inside" alpha? Forget about it. Canon thinks it has enough patent to do that its own way, and the whole idea is too radical for Nikon. 

Sony have the best chance to do it (integrate their own audio reciever) but they didnt, wonder why is that.

34 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Sony have the best chance to do it (integrate their own audio reciever) but they didnt, wonder why is that.

Easy, anyone buying a cinema camera can go modular, and anyone that doesn't buy their cinema cameras isn't serious and doesn't deserve nice or reliable equipment.

Interesting take, but I don't necessarily agree with what he's saying. He's right, in saying that this system doesn't work with multiple cameras. However, TC can still be valuable for a single camera shoot, especially when recording 2 audio sources externally.

In my opinion, this is the same as complaining that the one tripod you bought doesn't hold all three of your cameras. Rode have noted that they system can sync other 3rd party TC generators and get them in sync, so you can have multiple cameras running the same TC, with some extra hardware. Which is the same as any other TC system.

He also mentions that the transmitters have to be connected to the reciever for TC to work, and you lose the function if the reciever shutsdown or loses connection. But Rode have said they'll stay running accurately for quite a while, and when they reconnect to the reciever, they automatically double check that everyone is running on the same TC.

Skip to 7:30

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Interesting take, but I don't necessarily agree with what he's saying. He's right, in saying that this system doesn't work with multiple cameras. However, TC can still be valuable for a single camera shoot, especially when recording 2 audio sources externally.

In my opinion, this is the same as complaining that the one tripod you bought doesn't hold all three of your cameras. Rode have noted that they system can sync other 3rd party TC generators and get them in sync, so you can have multiple cameras running the same TC, with some extra hardware. Which is the same as any other TC system.

He also mentions that the transmitters have to be connected to the reciever for TC to work, and you lose the function if the reciever shutsdown or loses connection. But Rode have said they'll stay running accurately for quite a while, and when they reconnect to the reciever, they automatically double check that everyone is running on the same TC.

I agree with you, classical youtube non sense, yes is not a professional time code system but for 400$ you get time coded 2 x 32 bit recording, really nothing to complain about.
Would be cool if in the future they would support additional receivers to sync time code across cameras instead of jam sync.

11 hours ago, gt3rs said:

As far as I could see you can have only one receiver, you can jam sync a camera, move to the next and so on but you cannot have 2 receivers at the same time. 

Skip to 7:30 - you can essentially jam a device like Tentaclesync or Deity TC1 with the Rode's timecode, and since they're also super accurate (one frame drift in 48 hours), you can keep those devices plugged into as many other cameras as you like. This is the same as pretty much any other timecode system out there. 

56 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Skip to 7:30 - you can essentially jam a device like Tentaclesync or Deity TC1 with the Rode's timecode, and since they're also super accurate (one frame drift in 48 hours), you can keep those devices plugged into as many other cameras as you like. This is the same as pretty much any other timecode system out there. 

I don't want another device just another Rode RX on my second camera. If I have the RX sending TC to Deity or similar I cannot send the audio to the camera... a dual RX would make it much more simpler. I don't want an additional set of devices. 2 TX, 2 RX, 2 Cameras a common scenario.

This is going to be my new and much smaller wireless mic/external recording solution, love it.

Rode fixed everything I didn't like about the previous two and made lots of improvements. I really like everything this has to offer, my Sennheiser G2 and G3 lav and handheld systems are finally getting replaced as I'm trying to trim my kit size/weight down and just simplify my workflow. My external recorder is history too. This more than covers all my wireless mic and portable recording needs in one crazy small package.

No need to mess with batteries and SD cards, you can skip the app - plug the charging case into a computer and just drag all the files to your computer, they function as standalone recorders if you're just getting audio, you can use them for streaming or zoom calls, real 32-bit float, auto safety track and so on. 

As for them being shiny, some 1000 grit sandpaper will take the shine off in a few seconds, but I'll use them with lav's or one of the small Rode shotgun mics, so its not an issue for me.

Cheers

Chris

Am glad that Rode has finally fixed one of the many major issues with their Rode Go wireless:

The lack of a locking connector for their lav mics! Finally at last they're using a locking 3.5mm connector. 

Was a terrible oversight to not have this since Day 1. 

On 8/23/2023 at 10:22 AM, Eric Calabros said:

Sony is too proud to accept any other audio brand superiority over itself.

Indeed, Sony already makes arguably the very best audio wireless at both the prosumer level (Sony UWP-D) and at the pro level (Sony DWX Digital Wireless)

On 8/28/2023 at 9:12 PM, Anaconda_ said:

Skip to 7:30

In summary:

They're basically kinda "faking TC". 

And they're going about this in a dumb way so it's incompatible with usual ways of using timecode on film sets, and you can't even work it together with multiple extra sets of Rode Go Pros. 

Big fail. 

However.... if you're just running your Rode Go Pro into your mirrorless/DSLR with only the couple of transmitters you get in a single set, then sure, this works perfectly fine enough as intended. 

Which covers the needs for 95% of Rode's target markets. So Rode doesn't care about these issues, it's "not their problem". 

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

They're basically kinda "faking TC". 

And they're going about this in a dumb way so it's incompatible with usual ways of using timecode on film sets, and you can't even work it together with multiple extra sets of Rode Go Pros. 

Why do you say that? Apparently it's SMPTE standard.