Lenses

Andrew Reid

• Super Members

Found a cheap Mitakon Speed Master 35mm f0.95 today. Hope I get it before I need to return the LS300 :) 

Another 0.95 lens Im looking for is the Voigtlander 25mm. I used to have it for the GH3 but thought it was a bit over priced. 

But now when I could use it on s35 with full coverage.... Yummy.

I know many dont like these type of lenses. But if you know me, I like them weird ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Hi!

I am looking for ultra wide angle prime for GH4. Thinking about pulling the trigger on the SLR Magic 10mm T2.1. Is there any other setup (MB+lens) or lens you think I should consider? The Voigtlander is too big and expensive and I dont think there is any other native UWA. 

Thanks!

10mm is equivalent to 23mm in the 4k mode so its not really ultra wide.

4 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

10mm is equivalent to 23mm in the 4k mode so its not really ultra wide.

Ultra wide is defined as anything wider than 24mm, so it kinda is. 

The SLR Magic 10mm is a FANTASTIC lens. In fact, the whole lineup gets my highest recommendation--and those of you who know me know I'm picky about my glass.

2 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Hi!

I am looking for ultra wide angle prime for GH4. Thinking about pulling the trigger on the SLR Magic 10mm T2.1. Is there any other setup (MB+lens) or lens you think I should consider? The Voigtlander is too big and expensive and I dont think there is any other native UWA. 

Thanks!

The slr magic 10mm is pretty dope, you should get it

Heard about Panasonic coming out with a new wide angle, unfortunately it seems it will be 12mm. Too bad wider is a little exotic. I do like the Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO, but it comes at a price and it doesn't have a filterthread so you'd have to find a third party solution. The SLR Magic 10mm sounds good though!

Thanks for advice!

I know its 23 in 4K, but its 20mm in 50p and for stills, and probably the GH5 as well.

I heard about the Leica 12mm but I already have the 12-35mm so probably gonna skip that for now, even though I am very pleased with the other Pana Leicas, 15, 25 and 42,5. 

The Oly 7-14mm is too big and also expensive + the filter situation. Have you tried the Panny 7-14? Its half the weight and I have seen it often on the used market, but its only f/4.0... 

8 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

The Voigtlander rocks too, but not as much as the SLR Magic--plus, twice as expensive.

i have never used the SLR, so i cant comment on that. But what i do love with the voigt is, that (especially at 0.95) this lens is far away from being perfect with tons of purple fringing, but still a very nice picture. Every once in a while i look back at an old snapshot of mine that i took in combination with the GM1 and the Tiffen Ultra Contrast Filter and after watching i always have to resist the urge to buy that combo again. Fuck GAS.

Haha, maybe it's time to get the SLR Magic then and be all over that. :grin: I love the 25mm T0.95 I have, but I haven't had the pleasure of fiddling around with the others.

@Fredrik Lyhne, sorry, no experience with the 7-14mm Panasonic. But when I researched the possibilities it didn't really stand out. It has that modern Panasonic rendering that I don't like and indeed that f/4. Maybe they can do a newer version. Their new Lumix 30mm f/2.8 OIS Macro and 42.5mm f/1.7 OIS aren't even too bad looking. I guess they're trending more towards a Olympus/Leica reproduction. No complaints here about that. Especially now Olympus themselves have said they will focus on the E-M-line and PRO lenses more.

Too bad everything below 12mm is a little rarer. First to drop beneath that was the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 I'd gotten, but I take it you want to fly it on the Pilotfly H2, and that might make things a little too front heavy. Then I have the Walimex Pro 8mm fish-eye (which I actually went and got for the D5300), which itself would be a little extreme. The 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO by Olympus is a real beast though, but that's also reflected in size and weight... and that lacking filterthread. Yeah, a prime lens would probably be best. Then your native options are quite limited. Voigtländer and SLR Magic indeed. But there's also Rokinon/Samyang/Walimex with a 10mm f/2.8/T3.1 and Kowa with a 8.5mm f/2.8. Although all of these aren't exactly pancake lenses either, you know.

@Cinegain I think I am going for the SLR Magic 10mm. Yeah, I am gonna fly it on H2, but I also plan to use it for travel photography, so the Tokina is a little big I think. 

Do you have the Leica 25mm too? I think its a great little lens and it stands out from the normal Panny lenses. I have to see how it pairs with the SLR Magic 10mm, might have to look in to that SLR Magic 25mm in the future. I tried the Veydra Lenses and the aperture ring and focus ring were so much easier to use for video! I would prefer to have one set for both video and stills, but we cant have it all I guess...

Oh, but I spoil myself. Not all, but I got a lot of it. I don't think GAS is a bad thing if you can actually afford it, lol. :grin: Doesn't mean I don't like sensible purchases, for a certain amount spent you've got to have some return on it that matches it, if that's not the case, I don't bother and rather spend it on something else. But I have Veydra Mini Primes, I have Contax Zeiss, Tokina AT-X PRO, Olympus PRO, you name it, the list goes on and on.

25mm concerned... not just the SLR Magic here, there's the Veydra 25mm T2.2, Contax Zeiss 25mm f/2.8, Panasonic 25mm f/1.7, Zonlai 25mm f/1.8 and some 'Mirrorless' C-mount APS-C 25mm f/1.4. Zhongyi/ZY Optics 24mm f/1.7 if you want to count that. All have their own qualities and character. Don't have anything Leica branded though. The 42.5mm f/1.2 I found too expensive to justify for a single focal length (whereas for something like the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO with 1.4x teleconverter I mind a high price way less, especially to match the f/2.8 PRO 7-14mm and 12-40mm; but still think the value isn't there for the telezoom, especially if you'd use one on a Panasonic camera: no stabilization). The Leica 25mm I don't see much point getting, when I've got that range pretty well covered with different character to choose from and atleast one that's not fully manual, but electronic. And that's an another good point too... you like things to match, so do I. There's 4 Leica MFT primes. And I already don't want the 42.5mm f/1.2 because of it's price. 25mm I've got covered. I have the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 and Panasonic 30mm f/2.8 OIS for macro, so I don't really need the 45mm f/2.8. The 15mm f/1.7 actually is kind of interesting, also since that's DJI's pick for their multirotor gimbal camera, I see how that would work nicely on a handheld gimbal stabilizer as well. It's somewhere in between the 14mm f/2.5 and 20mm f/1.7 and then supposedly has some Leica mojo. Olympus makes great lenses too, though. Just about everything in the M.Zuiko line-up is very nice. When I started out on with the GH2, one of the first native lenses to get was the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. Brilliant little lens. The most recent addition is the 75mm f/1.8 which I finally found at a justifiable price and is superb. But they've got a couple of nice others. 12mm and 17mm, but as well a 25mm for example. Just, I don't know, they aren't really begging me to buy them (others are really like 'hey buddy, hey you! Look at me! Man, dude, we should team up! I can be your wingman! Man, I'm so chill to hang out with! I'll show you a good time! Show some faith in me, man! You won't regret it'; don't worry, I'm in GAS therapy, my therapist says it's a good thing I'm not in denial ;)).

How do you like the Zonlai? I missed picking one up abroad the other day, but it should start showing up in the UK soon. I grabbed an itsy bitsy Pentax Cosmicar 1" 1.4 instead today which is great, but need a 25mm with better edges and less distortion too. With the Zonlai being new I am assuming it will be more consistent.

12 hours ago, jase said:

i have never used the SLR, so i cant comment on that. But what i do love with the voigt is, that (especially at 0.95) this lens is far away from being perfect with tons of purple fringing, but still a very nice picture. Every once in a while i look back at an old snapshot of mine that i took in combination with the GM1 and the Tiffen Ultra Contrast Filter and after watching i always have to resist the urge to buy that combo again. Fuck GAS.

I've commented on this video before and I feel the need to again, because every time I see it, I am blown away by this combo... Just beautiful.

I love how solid the video looks. It has a filmic weight behind it. Gorgeous slow motion and a really nice grade. Do you remember your in camera settings and anything you can attribute to this "look?"

@Cinegain I thought I recognized you in the Guinness book of records for most m43 lenses! Must be nice to have a selection, but how do you choose what to use :) ? I "only" have PL 15, 25, 42,5, P 12-35mm, 12-32mm, 35-100mm, 35-100mm mini and Oly 60mm, but I still have to consider what to take with me. Loving the primes but zooms are convenient. I actually didnt like the Oly 45mm, but absolutely love Nocticron, which I use mostly for stills. The Oly 60mm and 75mm are amazing too. The Veydras are my dream lenses for m43 but I will not buy them until I learn to make better use of them, only then would it be worth it for me. The SLR Magic 10mm will do for now :)

I first think of what I am planning to go and shoot, then I pick the one that's most suitable. Say, you want a crashcam, great: the C-mount APS-C one it is. Good for quirky character too, like the Zonlai or the Zhongyi/ZY Optics (with a bit nervous bokeh and weird purple flares). Want some smooth 'n chill bokehliciousness and/or lowlight? The SLR Magic will get you a long way. More serious stuff with rigging? The Veydras (yeah, I know they are overkill, but I jumped on their Kickstarter campaign as I figured these would be a great investment and asset to me in the future). They're especially nice for consistent results. Contax Zeiss if you want more of a look straight out of the lens, but also with some serious quality to 'em (w/ Zhongyi Lens Turbo II EF - M43 with K&F Concept C/Y - EF adapter). The Lumix one for electronic control, so more for stills/hybrid than purely video. So yeah, to me there's really something to say for each, they all render and handle differently. But yeah, sometimes it can be nice to just go out and shoot with the fixed set-up LX100 as well. ;)

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I've commented on this video before and I feel the need to again, because every time I see it, I am blown away by this combo... Just beautiful.

I love how solid the video looks. It has a filmic weight behind it. Gorgeous slow motion and a really nice grade. Do you remember your in camera settings and anything you can attribute to this "look?"

Well, funny part is that the "look" was accomplished simply by adding FilmConvert. This was in the days where my experience was nearly zero.

Settings were Standard -5/-5/-5/-5 as suggested by @Inazuma. I am pretty sure this was done using AWB. Just the FilmConvert GH4 Standardprofile. I will dig up my original files over night and try to reassemble the filmconvert settings for you.

As you probably know, I have the G7 and more recently I picked up the FZ300. I love both cameras, but I am trying to find a balance between an in camera look and post.

So far I like CineLikeD 0, -5, -5, -3 and Natural -5, -5, -5, -5... Sometimes, I'll bump sharpness up a tick or two depending on the lens.

I'vd seen a lot of videos online with FilmConvert, so I got the trial, but unless the trial version is limited... Which I don't think it is, I just cannot seem to recreate some of their looks. So, now I am going bonkers over this. I am out testing different exposure methods... ETTR and a stop under. Ugh. This is driving me crazy. Do you expose to the right? Do you use zebras, histogram, or exposure meter? Or just your eye? My last shot, I just used the exposure meter and tried nailing it. It worked okay... I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the help.