Lenses

Andrew Reid

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Nikkor said:

kidzrevil, if you have some cash, get the super speed 25mm 1.2 mkii.... :)

I use a set of I think mk1 T1.3 superspeeds on shoots when I can afford it. Not my favorite bokeh, but by far my favorite wide angle lenses.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, jagnje said:

I use a set of I think mk1 T1.3 superspeeds on shoots when I can afford it. Not my favorite bokeh, but by far my favorite wide angle lenses.

Wideangle lenses are fucking problematic if you are looking for something cinematic. The mkIIs don't have the triangular shape if that's what you mean by not liking the bokeh.

Yeah, it's kind of in Nikon Bourne (28-70 and 80-200mm) companionship concerning that. Handheld... meh... possible, but, do you wanna? Like the 50-100mm ART too, no stabilization. So these are more the kinds of lenses you'd use in a 'let's rig up!' scenario. But yeah, they're really really good. True primebusters.

9 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, it's kind of in Nikon Bourne (28-70 and 80-200mm) companionship concerning that. Handheld... meh... possible, but, do you wanna? Like the 50-100mm ART too, no stabilization. So these are more the kinds of lenses you'd use in a 'let's rig up!' scenario. But yeah, they're really really good. True primebusters.

yeah the lens is dope for sure ! its the same issue I ran into with my milvus glass. Its like you say you can go handheld but would you wanna ? Nope. I don't like anything too front heavy on my camera bodies. Anyone want to buy a sigma 18-35 ? LOL

3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Image quality is great but god damn this thing is huge. Camera is hella front heavy now. Not really a fan of big lenses...gonna give the Sigma 18-35 another day

image.jpeg

I ended up selling my sigma 18-35 for this reason. Just feels too front heavy on the nx1 with an adapter :( samsung 16-50 S is perfect handheld though ;)

11 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Nikkor If I don't like the sigma 18-35 im gonna get the contax zeiss 85mm f1.4 aeg ! Good call on the contax zeiss glass bro, they def have character over super clinical sharpness @TheRenaissanceMan

So glad they're working out! :) AE 28 f/2 and 50 f/1.4, right? Are they resolving well on the NX1 sensor? Any more samples to share? 

2 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@TheRenaissanceMan not yet but I'll have some up very very soon ! yeah I got the aeg 28 f/2 and the aej 50 f1.4 , hoping to add the 85mm f1.4 aeg and a full frame cam to go with it

That's a solid set! If you don't need the extra two stops, definitely consider the 85mm f/2.8 sonnar. The AE flares quite a bit, but the way it renders is spectacularly 3D. Or if you don't mind a slightly longer FL, the 100mm f/2 is a famously beautiful lens, in part because it's one of the designs that never made it to the ZE/ZF line-up.

I guess I'm just biased, because I never really gelled with the 85 1.4. Not terribly sharp until stopped down, and the bokeh draws a lot of attention to itself. Ymmv. Let your own eyes be the judge. 

2 hours ago, shanebrutal said:

I ended up selling my sigma 18-35 for this reason. Just feels too front heavy on the nx1 with an adapter :( samsung 16-50 S is perfect handheld though ;)

I have both the 16-50s and the 18-35 art lens, which I definitely prefer over the Samsung for video work. In my opinion it's really not bad at all for handheld use with the NX1, especially if you add the battery grip. It's definitely big and heavy, but all that weight helps ease out the micro jitters.

I guess I probably use it on a monopod more than straight handheld, but still, it's easily one of the best, sharpest, and loveliest lenses I have ever used, so in my book a little front-heaviness is an easy sacrifice to make.

9 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Parker the images are pretty nice no doubt about that. Even at 18mm its sharp and doesn't look clinical imo. Size and weight are a turnoff but I'm giving it a chance

@kidzrevil Yeah the lens is just dreamy, and ticks so many boxes, especially on the wide end. It's like having a bag of primes. I've got several cool, vintage 28mm and 35mm primes but I never use them because of the sigma. It's actually the only reason I stuck with canon for so long, because I couldn't bear to stop using the lens back when I had a 70D.

So now that I'm in NX-land it's actually 'stuck wide open' all the time since I don't have aperture control, which is less than ideal, but even at 1.8 it's just razor sharp. Throw on some ND and no problem. I've been meaning to get the mount changed but I use it all the time! 

• Super Members
5 hours ago, Parker said:

@kidzrevil Yeah the lens is just dreamy, and ticks so many boxes, especially on the wide end. It's like having a bag of primes. I've got several cool, vintage 28mm and 35mm primes but I never use them because of the sigma. It's actually the only reason I stuck with canon for so long, because I couldn't bear to stop using the lens back when I had a 70D.

So now that I'm in NX-land it's actually 'stuck wide open' all the time since I don't have aperture control, which is less than ideal, but even at 1.8 it's just razor sharp. Throw on some ND and no problem. I've been meaning to get the mount changed but I use it all the time! 

You could probably sell it and buy a used Nikon version for the same price. That way you have aperture control on the NX1 as well as all future cameras no matter what mount.

And if you get the ND throttle you will have both aperture control and built in variable ND in the lens.

13 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Finally completed my Voigtlander LS II Set. 20mm, 28mm, 40mm, 58mm, & 90mm. 20 is the last, while not the sharpest It has great rendering and "pop" with very little distortion on faces. 

jim .jpg

jim .jpg

I've actually been considering this exact set! What camera are you using them on? How do you like the set overall?