Any other EOSHD'ers trying the whole YouTube thing?

Parker

I see a tons people complaining about the marketing/hype machine that is the "filmmaking sector" of YouTube, and I hate a lot of those clichés too. That being said, it has been in the back of my mind to try out for a while, so yesterday I had some free time and I finally decided to give it a go!

Turns out it's actually a lot harder to film yourself and talk right to camera than I anticipated (I very quickly abandoned my plans to shoot it anamorphic, focusing on my S1, all by myself, was just way too difficult) and the whole process took me far longer to shoot and edit than I expected. 

Anyway, here's my (first ever) attempt at this kind of video:

I'm assuming a good number of users on here consume as much YouTube as I (sometimes regretfully) do? 

I've always considered Eoshd as a cut above the rest of the internet filmmaking-afficcionado crowd. I'd love to see anything anyone else on here is making in this space too, and/or see if we can start a discussion about good, lesser-known channels to follow that aren't specifically about shoving gear/affiliate links and clickbait sensation down our throats. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nope.

But then I said the same about having a blog about 10 years back and then also laughed at people with mobile phone and refused to get one for years, never mind an iPhone...and am typing this on my 8+ 😀

So never say never, but actually, in this regard, almost certainly never. Hate myself on camera. Sound, even worse. Most of all, can’t be bothered and have no reason, so will enjoy others more suited efforts instead.

I will watch yours later Parker!

@mercerThanks for checking it out, man! Glad to see you around on here, I've missed reading your comments these past months!

@MrSMW I totally get it, I hate the sound of my own voice too haha. One thing that is maybe a little disheartening about this whole me-centric social media era, which I have been thinking about lately, is how, at least amongst my social media circle of family and friends, I could post the most beautiful, gorgeous, epic, amazing content, say it's shot on an Alexa 65 with Cooke anamorphics, you name it, and nobody cares at all. The client work I'm most proud of, if I have permission to post it? Crickets. But then this simple, dumb, jokey YouTube style-vid, starring me, myself, and I, is blowing up on my social media, and getting way more engagement and traction with people I know than any of the stuff I shoot that I'm actually proud of. Just something to think about. 

14 minutes ago, Parker said:

Thanks for checking it out, man! Glad to see you around on here, I've missed reading your comments these past months!

Thanks Parker, I appreciate that. I'm still a reader, I just need to film more stuff. 

Cool Panavision t-shirt, btw. If your channel takes off, you can make some Parkervision shirts to commemorate your maiden voyage.

Good start and hats off (literally, no reversed baseball cap, never mind purple or blue backlighting) to you for making the effort.

I think any channel that is authentic should succeed. As long as you enjoy it.

Bon courage as they say in my part of the world!

Am I trying the whole "YouTuber thing"??

Yes. 

But no

https://www.youtube.com/SoundSpeeding/

20 hours ago, Parker said:

Turns out it's actually a lot harder to film yourself and talk right to camera than I anticipated (I very quickly abandoned my plans to shoot it anamorphic, focusing on my S1, all by myself, was just way too difficult) and the whole process took me far longer to shoot and edit than I expected. 

YUP! Gets a lot trickier once you point the camera at yourself and need to formulate words coherently, rather than staying preferably behind the camera.

@ParkerAlso, great video by the way. The music was a bit hot (and distracting) for my tastes. You have some subtlety in your voice that kind of gets lost with the background music. It seemed like there was fan noise or air conditioner noise coming in the voice audio so maybe you were using the music to cover it up??? 

@Mark Romero 2 That's a great tip, thank you! Better than what I was trying, leaning an overstuffed pillow in my chair with a focus chart taped to it lol. 

But yes, you nailed the sound issues, and I agree, in hindsight the music is a little much, and my air conditioner was super loud and wouldn't turn off... but I knew if I didn't just sit down and record the thing, right then and there, while my inspiration and motivation were aligned, I probably wouldn't have done it at all. Thanks for the feedback, and for watching! 

Im'a gonna make a channel about my current adventure of re-aquiring of the very same Morris Minor Mini I bought as a 15 year old in 1984...and then trying to refurbish it with almost no knowledge and wisdom of mechanics and welding. 

So, yeah, just started "filming" yesterday.  I've decided I'm not going to try and make it professional at all.  I just want to raw document my process over the next....5 years or so of rebuilding the thing.

So, no designs at being commercial or successful at the channel, just doing it to do it.

6 hours ago, Parker said:

@Mark Romero 2 That's a great tip, thank you! Better than what I was trying, leaning an overstuffed pillow in my chair with a focus chart taped to it lol. 

But yes, you nailed the sound issues, and I agree, in hindsight the music is a little much, and my air conditioner was super loud and wouldn't turn off... but I knew if I didn't just sit down and record the thing, right then and there, while my inspiration and motivation were aligned, I probably wouldn't have done it at all. Thanks for the feedback, and for watching! 

Good call then!!! Much better to go for good and "get it done" instead of waiting around for perfection to arrive.

You probably know this already, although some people reading this might not, but it is good to get about 5 or so seconds of "silence" so that you can capture JUST the background noise / AC / refrigerator / whatever and then use the audio noise tool to better isolate background noise.  I know in Resolve there is an audio FX that allows you to "sample" the noise (they call in "Learn", and then it will automatically try to suppress JUST the noise. It is never perfect, but it can be a fairly good starting point. If you give it about five seconds (or more) of just background noise, it seems to work better at "learning" the noise.