Sigma EVF-11... Looks like a masterpiece of design to me

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Sigma-EVF-11-HDMI.jpg

This image shows the upcoming Sigma Fp-L, with the new EVF-11 module attached which gives it a nice rangefinder-style form factor.

Cleverly, the EVF attaches directly to the HDMI port with no cabling. It's able to communicate via USB C and is powered by the camera.

Since the Sigma Fp-L (and original) have quarter inch threads on both sides of the camera, a 1/4" screw secures the module in place (as if it were attached directly to a cage).

New blog post:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/sigma-evf-11-is-a-masterpiece-of-design/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was under the assumption it just passes through the USB connection to the opposite side. I don't know if it needs it to operate. If it's just the hdmi connection and 2 pin power it should be easy to make a little relocation adapter for rigging, and no need for external power. 

I remember a few weeks back I was talking with Takuma Wakamatsu and I made a suggestion about this very same thing we are looking at. I suggested that he should use the hot shoe accessory input and create an attachment that basically does this, yet have a full hdmi input. He quickly responded with “I can't say anything about future development but I'm considering something. Please looking forward it.” My instincts kicked in and I knew this was happening! 

In genuinely excited about this announcement. I actually haven’t felt this excited since JVC released their cinema camera. I’m a really big supporter of underrated yet powerful organizations. 

So either this does pass through USBc, or the FP-L has a better way of recording internal raw, so you don't even need the SSD. (Please Braw internal!)

If it's not any of those options, you'd to have to choose between and EVF and 12bit raw.

I wonder if you can have all your info on the EVF display, but still get a clean feed through the HDMI to a monitor... How would that work? 

The only was I see it working is if that information is sent through USB, but then can you still record 12bit raw to SSD?

Curious about this new Sigma...

I loved the FP...but not enough to buy one, too many missing requirements for me.

I’m really just waiting now for the announcement as the final piece in the jigsaw puzzle that is my foreseeable future.

I like the new plug in viewfinder, but would much rather have a tilt screen. If it’s got both, then Monday, Tuesday Happy Days, but no tilt, no deal for me. It’s 100% essential.

4k 59/60p 10 bit. I don’t want less, I don’t need more. Internal or again, no dice.

IBIS. Hmmm, IBIS... I think it’s probably a dealbreaker if it doesn’t have it, but then if it had something like the Catalyst Wotsit, maybe maybe. It is small and light enough to work quickly off a freestanding mono, so another possibility.

23rd March all being well, we shall know.

But what is the ‘L’?

L for lots, as in lots of pixels? 

L for lidar?

L for ladies as in it’s either for them or will attract them?

L for lovely?

L for ...?

38 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

So either this does pass through USBc, or the FP-L has a better way of recording internal raw, so you don't even need the SSD. (Please Braw internal!)

If it's not any of those options, you'd to have to choose between and EVF and 12bit raw.

I wonder if you can have all your info on the EVF display, but still get a clean feed through the HDMI to a monitor... How would that work? 

The only was I see it working is if that information is sent through USB, but then can you still record 12bit raw to SSD?

All we need is CFexpress slot. Little pricey, but a 2tb or upcoming 4tb cards will hold hours worth.

I love this. Dig the rangefinder style and love it for video as well because it keeps you from smashing your face into the back of the camera. 

Pretty darn excited for this camera. Will wait for specs, but hope they've beefed it up. 

Wish Sigma would make a streamlined battery grip that was just a big 50-60wh power bank (long enough for 6-8 hours of use). That'd be cool too.

Great looking EVF, and I'm very curious about the FP-L and FP (maybe it will get improvements via firmware?)...

5 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

It would work the way that any camera works.  The basic logic must be that the image is taken from the sensor and processed, then for each display (eg, the screen or EVF or video-out) it must be processed separately considering that each one will be a different resolution and have different needs for the OSD etc.

If you only had one processor that resized the image and added the OSD then it would only be able to show the image on the output OR the screen, or can't show it on the EVF and the screen simultaneously, etc.

7 hours ago, kye said:

It would work the way that any camera works.  The basic logic must be that the image is taken from the sensor and processed, then for each display (eg, the screen or EVF or video-out) it must be processed separately considering that each one will be a different resolution and have different needs for the OSD etc.

But does the EVF get it's display (OSD and image) from the HDMI port? If it does, then there's no clean HDMI out. If that all comes through USBc, then there's no SSD recording. The image and OSD shown on the EVF has to go from the camera to the EVF display through one of the ports, and I can't imagine it's coming through the two pins... those are for power right?

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

But does the EVF get it's display (OSD and image) from the HDMI port? If it does, then there's no clean HDMI out. If that all comes through USBc, then there's no SSD recording. The image and OSD shown on the EVF has to go from the camera to the EVF display through one of the ports, and I can't imagine it's coming through the two pins... those are for power right?

It looks like a mini HDMI slots into the camera, but if you look at the photo, on the rear face of the unit there's a 'HDMI cover', which looks to me like it's covering a full-size HDMI out socket. I wonder, if we could see the other side, if there's a USB-C out as well.

4 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

It looks like a mini HDMI slots into the camera, but if you look at the photo, on the rear face of the unit there's a 'HDMI cover', which looks to me like it's covering a full-size HDMI out socket. I wonder, if we could see the other side, if there's a USB-C out as well.

I am mostly positive this is just a place to store the rubber flap you remove that covers the micro hdmi and pins. Its similar to the MU-11 hotshoe unit. The usb flap tucks behind (you can see it on the front view). There is obviously something on the side we can't see, i don't know if usb or hdmi. 

6 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I don't think we can tell.  The USB port is connected, so it could easily be going through that.  It depends on how the camera is designed, but it might have the ability to scale the image within the camera, in which case it could be sending an EVF resolution version through the USB and then a full-resolution through the HDMI.

Or the EVF could be taking the feed from the HDMI, downscaling it, and putting the OSD on top of it (talking to the camera about what OSD things to display through the USB) which wouldn't pollute the HDMI image.

It really depends on how they've implemented it, but I guess my point was that it's possible they're all independent.

20 minutes ago, kye said:

I don't think we can tell.  The USB port is connected, so it could easily be going through that.  It depends on how the camera is designed, but it might have the ability to scale the image within the camera, in which case it could be sending an EVF resolution version through the USB and then a full-resolution through the HDMI.

Or the EVF could be taking the feed from the HDMI, downscaling it, and putting the OSD on top of it (talking to the camera about what OSD things to display through the USB) which wouldn't pollute the HDMI image.

It really depends on how they've implemented it, but I guess my point was that it's possible they're all independent.

If it were HDMI I think AF would take a massive hit. I am not sure if it would be the case using USB data.. From the front image it appears there is only one cover so I think you will lose one or the other in the process.

1 hour ago, amweber21 said:

I am mostly positive this is just a place to store the rubber flap you remove that covers the micro hdmi and pins. Its similar to the MU-11 hotshoe unit. The usb flap tucks behind (you can see it on the front view). There is obviously something on the side we can't see, i don't know if usb or hdmi. 

It's been confirmed on DVXUser that the flap covers a port, so it does have HDMI pass-through. No word on the USB-C though.

Wish this EVF would fit on the FP but I don't see how it could.  The FP has a raised "curb" in the body in between the USB and two pins area.  The new EVF has a solid bar along this axis.  It would need a slot or cut-out in between in order for it to dock completely with the FP.  I don't think we've seen any pix of the new FP-L side ports, but I suspect it will NOT have that divider molded into the camera's skin allowing that hole vertical bar to fit.  I might be selling an unused FP because this is an accessory I'd really like to have. 

On 3/18/2021 at 7:03 PM, amweber21 said:

All we need is CFexpress slot. Little pricey, but a 2tb or upcoming 4tb cards will hold hours worth.

Little pricey? ridiculously pricey you mean 🙂 . No, external ssd recording is by far the cheapest solution 

1 hour ago, josdr said:

Little pricey? ridiculously pricey you mean 🙂 . No, external ssd recording is by far the cheapest solution 

You're right, and you would still have that option. I'd be one that would pay a lot extra to have it completely internal. If you only shot photos and compressed video, a small cfexpress is reasonable. A 128 gb is cheaper than the best v90 uhs-ii cards actually. A $800 2 tb is expensive but to get that in v90 if you want to do 8bit 4k internal would be 16x$200=$3200. So it scales way way better. And it's bound to get much cheaper over the next few years. Recorders are not getting much cheaper. Ninja V plus media and accessories is about 800 anyway. And again, you have that option if you want to go that way or already have it. 

46 minutes ago, amweber21 said:

You're right, and you would still have that option. I'd be one that would pay a lot extra to have it completely internal. If you only shot photos and compressed video, a small cfexpress is reasonable. A 128 gb is cheaper than the best v90 uhs-ii cards actually. A $800 2 tb is expensive but to get that in v90 if you want to do 8bit 4k internal would be 16x$200=$3200. So it scales way way better. And it's bound to get much cheaper over the next few years. Recorders are not getting much cheaper. Ninja V plus media and accessories is about 800 anyway. And again, you have that option if you want to go that way or already have it. 

SSD's are dirt cheap and you can do a lot with 2 1gb ssd's. Cfexpress is unfortunately too  expensive in sizes that matter . I agree that v90 sd card prices are ridiculous as well, even the v60's are not that price conscious.. `We are staring to have a real problem with too much recording data..The new sigma will makes tremendous sense if it has good external raw recording abilities without the obligatory ninja V. Here's hoping 🙂