Jump to content

Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!


Recommended Posts

So if the GH6 doesn’t come out or it doesn’t have internal NDs with 4K120p and autofocus as good or better than the S5 then I think I’m going to migrate to EF, RF, and Canon with either the C70 or C50 and a future RF photo camera. Or if they fix the R5 more then I’ll get and R5 instead.

The codecs are a bit weak but I don’t need internal RAW to be honest. Hopefully we will see smaller RF photo cameras with capable specs or firmware updates to add better tracking AF (likely I would say) to these new smaller C cameras.

4 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Andrew most be loving this, everyone has forgiven Canon and forgot the r5 🙂

RIP consequences.

Well Panasonic needs to shit or get off the pot. I would love to give them money but their L-mount cameras, while having a nice image, just fall down in the AF and HFR department. MFT seems to be dead there and well. 😞

Like it or not Canon is at least doing some interesting things. Andrew can bash the shit out of them as rarely is there any positives news on the blog anymore. I think these new cameras are exciting and they bring a lot of synergy and energy to the RF and EF ecosystem. No other companies has that right now except Sony and E-mount and those, in my humble opinion, are soulless cameras and are missing the X factor for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In regards to Raw vs Log formats, while its nice to have a the ability to change color temp and ISO in RedRaw, etc.  The Kodak Cineon system, a 10 bit RGB 4:4:4 Log format was the gold standard for ov

That comment aged badly!  

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Andrew most be loving this, everyone has forgiven Canon and forgot the r5 🙂

RIP consequences.

No SDI, that we won´t forget, neither the cripple hammer which is still bugging users with overheating of the R5. Ten minutes waits after 20min shooting. Who will forget that? lol

@Video Hummus I would say, 4k120p on the R5 does not look better thant HD120p on the S5 to my eyes witnessing the footage on youtube. Whats the sense in it then. 5500 vs 2000 shows in the HFR department of course. And it should. S5 is appealing to those who dont need AF or monitoring for directors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Codecs are efficient, practical, professional, broadcast-ready codec that you don't need to clean up in post.  Following the c300iii, the shadows will be noise-free under ISO 25600, SOOC. True, you don't have all the flexibility of raw if you want to do heavy color grading, but you also have great color because of the the parallel readout of RGGB rather than debayer process. 

Also, due to the efficient codec, you save a lot of cash on media and storage.

If you're a one-man shooter who shoots fast, all this helps.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, independent said:

Codecs are efficient, practical, professional, broadcast-ready codec that you don't need to clean up in post.  Following the c300iii, the shadows will be noise-free under ISO 25600, SOOC. True, you don't have all the flexibility of raw if you want to do heavy color grading, but you also have great color because of the the parallel readout of RGGB rather than debayer process. 

Also, due to the efficient codec, you save a lot of cash on media and storage.

If you're a one-man shooter who shoots fast, all this helps.

 

I like the codecs from a size standpoint and have never shot RAW with the C200 except to test it...my only problem with the codecs is they are not editing codecs they are playback codecs as Blackmagic Design made sure to point out to me when I filed tickets over why Resolve stutters on MP4 and MOV footage.  Since they are playback codecs editing with them is a real pain; everyone thinks color grading is the only benefits to RAW or compressed RAW; the real benefit with an editing codec is you don't need to transcode first. I have a 14 core CPU, and an RTX2080TI video card and I still need to transcode if I want smooth playback in Davinci Resolve after color grading, adding some Fusion effects, transitions, motion graphics, speed ramps, etc. With something like BRAW or ProRes I could save a lot of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, EduPortas said:

Why? It has RAW and costs the same as the C70, which does not.

A new miniturization tax by Canon?

I think it's more of  a horses for courses situation. They're still selling the C200, shooters can choose which features are more important to them: hybrid body style and 10-bit codecs vs cine-style body and raw. Of course, those like me that want a cine-style body and a 10-bit codec are SOL at the moment unless they have $11K for the C300 II.

On the other hand, the C70 does make a great B/Gimbal/Crash cam for those with a C300/500. It's not going to please everyone, but it does have just enough to make an interesting choice for those wedded to Canon's ecosystem, those who vale rock solid AF, and those who have a pile of Canon EF glass (though the true price of the camera rockets up over $6,000 and it's still a wait and see game until the speedbooster comes out and more lenses have firmware updates to work with it).

And no, everyone hasn't forgotten Canon's failures. It's just that they do put out interesting and solid C-line products.

I just wiped out my B&H balance today, so I  could put one on order. I'm going to wait until these and the speedbosters are actually shipping and, dare I say it, Sony throws its counterpunch with the FX6.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do. I love it. Gives directors a bit of control over the image I am filming. 🙂 Full HDMI might be good enough. But so would be a Lumix S5, if AF is not needed as a substitute for manual for video. 2000 vs 6000 EU cash. Would be interested to see their 4k60 in comparision. C300iii sensor is a beast though. Will see how X70s processing fares. C300MKii had some nasty temp noise reduction artefacts at low light. One couldnt really tell when. Sometimes it shown up, sometimes it didnt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

quite insane DR vs C200 and other camera when shooting underexposed shot (like interior with window and expose for the window)

The RAW on C200 cannot help at all.

120187904_10100670946804350_6385808642455665751_o.jpg

That is the DGO sensor in action. It’s better to expose the C300III and this C70 evenly with the exposure meter. The missing RAW doesn’t really bother me. It would be nice to have a bit beefier codecs but honestly they get the job done when the colors out of camera are so good. If you really want to you can shoot 2 stops underexposed safety in clog2 and recover in post with almost not impact to the image. Use false colors in post to bring your skin tones to where they need to be and your golden. DGO will make sure the shadows stay clean. That’s good enough for me.

Makes me wonder what the C50 is going to be? Just a cheaper crippled version with an older sensor? 10 bit? No HFR? Smaller?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the CVP video on this. Damn, looks really good.

Wonder how the FX6 is going to fare, C70 is better than I thought, only thing that sucks for me is APS-C and no tamron style e-mount zooms (small and light weight).

Gotta say Canon C-line is killing it this round, Sony Cine division fell asleep at the wheel.  The hybrid division is the opposite, Canon cripple timer really screwed the R5 over whereas the A7SIII they really tried to make it a workhorse (except no oversampling 😞 😞 😞

That being said, Canon is certainly charging for their eco system so can't count Sony out, those Tamron zooms make a huge difference too for size, weight and price. I'd be swayed if it was full frame and RF had some light zooms.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Panasonic and honestly, this is what the S1H should have been. 

To me, this is nearly the perfect do-almost-everything camera. Been what I have been wanting and asking for for 5 years (ever since I wanted to upgrade from the C100 II). 

The fact that this can do 120fps with the full-frame FoV with speedbooster and all in 10-bit 422 is amazing. Would be competing with my S1H, but with Canon lenses, Canon AF, internal NDs, two XLRs on body, full-frame FoV in all modes, and that C300 III sensor (which is amazing, even though the S1H is also amazing IQ), The S1H really only has IBIS on this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

That is the DGO sensor in action. It’s better to expose the C300III and this C70 evenly with the exposure meter. The missing RAW doesn’t really bother me. It would be nice to have a bit beefier codecs but honestly they get the job done when the colors out of camera are so good. If you really want to you can shoot 2 stops underexposed safety in clog2 and recover in post with almost not impact to the image. Use false colors in post to bring your skin tones to where they need to be and your golden. DGO will make sure the shadows stay clean. That’s good enough for me.

Makes me wonder what the C50 is going to be? Just a cheaper crippled version with an older sensor? 10 bit? No HFR? Smaller?

I'm thinking definitely not DGO, probably the C200 sensor, no 4K120FPS, no RAW of course, probably same form factor, mini XLR, fewer ND stops, etc. With Canon the sky is the limit on how far they can throw the cripple hammer. It probably won't be less than $4K either which would slot it in right above the R5, but below the C70. At least they can't get away with no 4K.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Wonder how the FX6 is going to fare, C70 is better than I thought, only thing that sucks for me is APS-C and no tamron style e-mount zooms (small and light weight).

I’m a bit bummed its not FF all the way. The S35 with RF mount is weird but makes business sense. If this had a FF sensor to compete against the FX6 it would be amazing. Instead they released an adapter to simulate the FF look on this sensor.

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

I'm thinking definitely not DGO, probably the C200 sensor, no 4K120FPS, no RAW of course, probably same form factor, mini XLR, fewer ND stops, etc. With Canon the sky is the limit on how far they can throw the cripple hammer. It probably won't be less than $4K either which would slot it in right above the R5, but below the C70. At least they can't get away with no 4K.

But at above $4K the R5 is a better camera really unless you absolutely need long form recording at which point...buy the C70. It’s all but confirmed to be C200 sensor so no crippled FF sensor or anything. I’m hoping if I jump on the Canon ship that one day they will have a C70 sized cinema camera or smaller with internal NDs and FF sensor with 8K, RF, and maybe IBIS or at least gyro data for post stabilization.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 8:54 AM, Rob6 said:

I don't think there is any chance they will release a speed booster because they want to sell RF Lenses. I hope I am wrong! Speedbooster would be sweet on this camera... if its made by Canon. The canon adapter on the r5 is perfect and I don't have any issues with it ever on the R5. 

That comment aged badly!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 2:30 PM, EphraimP said:

That wouldn't be too bad. I've seen rumors of $4K and change but others saying that low price is going to be for an upcoming C50 with the C200 sensor.  And I've seen rumors putting it in the $6,299 range.

People think there will be a C50??? What will that be, a C200 without raw?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...