Jump to content

Disappointed in the Canon R6 - Coming From A Canon User


herein2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Dynamic range is a big deal to me. If the R6 has worse dynamic range than an XT3 I would never buy one.

I was kind of concerned about Codecs but I've found H265 edits well in HD or 2k, so that is a workaround considering I don't need 4k. 
 

I doubt it would, does the 1DX III have worse DR than the XT3? DXO Mark shows the 1DX III has 14.5 stops...the XT3 is probably around the 12 stop mark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Danilo Del Tufo said:

C5D video.

That video is very telling about the Canon R6. Basically, unusable as a pro tool, but nice for the hobbyist, I think. Then again, why would I carry around all those FF lenses? The image looks similar to my Olympus, which is a good thing! 🙂 Also, the price- Yikes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

That video is very telling about the Canon R6. Basically, unusable as a pro tool, but nice for the hobbyist, I think. Then again, why would I carry around all those FF lenses? The image looks similar to my Olympus, which is a good thing! 🙂 Also, the price- Yikes!

 

Very disappointed, it looks like I'll need to wait another 2yrs for a Canon hybrid gimbal camera. No way am I touching the R6 the way it is now. It is clearly photography first and video if you are doing a documentary in the Antarctic. So far this camera seems worse than the EOS R for video at least the EOS R doesn't overheat, and I'll take a single card slot and horrible FN bar any day over a dead camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All that video does is confirm the official Canon overheating chart:

?ACT=44&fid=17&d=9283&f=canon-eos-r5-eos

R6 will overheat in all modes. clearly not the camera for long interviews or all-day run & gun shooting.

Behiri jumped the shark and shouldn't have used that camera for his 2-day shoot, wrong tool for the job but I guess you learn the hard way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Django said:

All that video does is confirm the official Canon overheating chart:

?ACT=44&fid=17&d=9283&f=canon-eos-r5-eos

R6 will overheat in all modes. clearly not the camera for long interviews or all-day run & gun shooting.

Behiri jumped the shark and shouldn't have used that camera for his 2-day shoot, wrong tool for the job but I guess you learn the hard way. 

I think everyone kind of expected that to be no more than a disclaimer and that in the real world it wouldn't really be that bad. I definitely wouldn't have taken the R6 as my only camera on a shoot like that either but I can see why he did. Actually, knowing what I know now I know the R6 is not even a camera I will use let alone own due to my video needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Django said:

All that video does is confirm the official Canon overheating chart:

?ACT=44&fid=17&d=9283&f=canon-eos-r5-eos

R6 will overheat in all modes. clearly not the camera for long interviews or all-day run & gun shooting.

Behiri jumped the shark and shouldn't have used that camera for his 2-day shoot, wrong tool for the job but I guess you learn the hard way. 

But all the ex-camera sales people, turned Canon ambassadors say it's the best thing since sliced bread. What could go wrong?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Django said:

All that video does is confirm the official Canon overheating chart:

?ACT=44&fid=17&d=9283&f=canon-eos-r5-eos

R6 will overheat in all modes. clearly not the camera for long interviews or all-day run & gun shooting.

That's not correct, Canon says overheating affects 4K 30 and 60. No mention of 24p or 1080 and 24p is what the guy in the review says he shot with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nezza said:

That's not correct, Canon says overheating affects 4K 30 and 60. No mention of 24p or 1080 and 24p is what the guy in the review says he shot with.

That is not exactly correct either...Canon did not mention overheating for those modes at 23C. At 35C here in FL it probably wouldn't even take pictures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People are just too enamored to specs, not so long ago 4k was the holly grail and now it must be 8K or 12k. Before it was hey you need 4k because you can reframe etc, now its, you need 12k to reframe 8k. In the end as the 10 year old Alexa 2.8k sensor has shown even as low as 2.8k is enough for the big screen because we human don't see more than that. I understand for some geek its like they need 150+ fps game to play, we humans have limits.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After watching above Northrup video, the plot thickened a bit for me on the R6.

Tony says 4K 30 you can get 39 mins and 4K 60  29 mins and (he says) 4K 60 looks great on the R6. For what I'd use (run and gun) that starts to look usable.

However, we still have the issue that even using these in stills mode limits video. To what extent isn't 100% clear yet. Need to wait for detailed reviews by the likes of Gerald Undone. There's generally been less testing on the R6 so the info is more limited relatively speaking. We'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Video Hummus said:

I would wait for Gerald’s testing. So many times there are tiny gotchas. He’ll suss them out.

Absolutely, at the moment he's the only guy I've seen who's really put in the work. I see Jordan Drake is back peddling faster than an R5 overheats.

It's quite shocking, people make multi thousand dollar decisions from watching these reviews.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

People are just too enamored to specs, not so long ago 4k was the holly grail and now it must be 8K or 12k. Before it was hey you need 4k because you can reframe etc, now its, you need 12k to reframe 8k. In the end as the 10 year old Alexa 2.8k sensor has shown even as low as 2.8k is enough for the big screen because we human don't see more than that. I understand for some geek its like they need 150+ fps game to play, we humans have limits.

 

What part of overheating has to do with specs? You can't even shoot 480p if your camera has overheated. If I cared about specs I would have been interested in the R5 just because it has the larger 45MP sensor. To me dual card slot recording, true hybrid capability (50/50 photo/video), reliability, and AF for gimbal work are more important than specs.

 

Of course maybe you just meant in general at which point I agree with you; if Canon had released reliable 4K120FPS, dual card slot recording, no recording limit time limit, and reliable cut off limits for 4K120fps that were not thermal related I'd have pre-ordered the R5 or R6 (whichever provided this capability). As it stands now, I'm going to sit back and enjoy my 5DIV, C200, and GH5 for at least 2 more years until the dust settles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I might get R6 instead, the Sony yellow is still there on A7SIII, and R6's quality is way sharper than A7SIII in 4K, much better IBIS.

 

at 25600 ISO R6 still as clean as A7SIII and sharper.. you barely can read the text on A7sIII but R6 is really clear

r6 a7siii high iso.png

skin tone still looking like crap, gosh, no way to go, an R6 with external recorded if do not overheat too much could save the day, just waiting to see a review with this configuration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

skin tone still looking like crap, gosh, no way to go, an R6 with external recorded if do not overheat too much could save the day, just waiting to see a review with this configuration.

Skin tones and colors is why I really want a Canon product to work for me. My GH5 takes so much work in post to get the skin tones right...and if there is a hot spot from lighting forget about it. My 5DIV has incredible skin tones and highlight rolloff I can only imagine the R5 and R6.....but the overheating problem really killed it for me. If I can't completely replace my GH5 with the R5 or R6 then I'm not going to get one; and right now there is no way I would trust either of them to do what my GH5 does.

I would love to reduce my kit to a C200 for long form, R5 for photography, and R6 for B-cam and hybrid photo/video shoots....but it looks like I'll need to wait on the Mark II versions for that to happen and knowing Canon that could be 4yrs from now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...