My thoughts on the Canon EOS R5 8K monstrosity - 1TB footage per 50 minutes

Andrew Reid

3 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

The the act of just inserting a cable will eventually break that stupid port. So be careful.

Yes you will break it eventually however careful you are. Is my least favourite thing on the XT3, even with smallrig cage and clamp it has finally given up on me

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I don't get why people dare to complain on heating. Obiously Canon does not chose to heat their camera, it's pure physic limitation (unlike the fact they chose not to include IPB). Want a FAN ? HELL NO!!! I want my camera weatherproofed. If you want a fan and a camera to record 3 hours interview do not get a R5, what a joke. Why would you even use it for that?? There are plenty of other cameras better suited for that kind of job. 

The S1H (that I personnally own) is weatherproofed and has a fan so it doesn't overheat. So Canon could have made this, but chose not to. 
And frankly even with this overheating "issue", I'm very interested in this camera, for 2 reasons : AF in video, and lens selection available (all RF + all EF lenses). 2 main problems with the Panasonic full frame cameras.

3 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

The S1H (that I personnally own) is weatherproofed and has a fan so it doesn't overheat. So Canon could have made this, but chose not to. 
And frankly even with this overheating "issue", I'm very interested in this camera, for 2 reasons : AF in video, and lens selection available (all RF + all EF lenses). 2 main problems with the Panasonic full frame cameras.

Same I'm a hybrid shooter and I'm still interested. I was going to get an S1H to partner my S1 but I think I might go with the R5 and use the S1 for longer recordings. That ND adaptor is fantastic, the RF glass is great (that 85mm....) and I think I could probably work around the limitations when I've also got the S1.

4 hours ago, Matt James Smith ? said:

This is nonsense. Shooting interviews is the backbone of my job and they regularly last longer than an hour. Especially the good ones. More importantly, you want the contributor to forget about the camera and you want to focus on the interviewing, not think about the gear. Stopping the interviewee mid-flow and asking them to start that question/sentence again can derail a well conducted interview. 

I assume recording time limit will be negated by an Atomos, so sorting a rock solid clamp for that shitty micro HDMI port will be priority #1 for me.

I never said stop the interview mid flow.

I said shoot with two cameras.   Lots of references for highly produced interviews shot with two cameras.  This keep the viewer interested in cutting to a different view during that 1-2 hour interview and I would hope you have great b-roll to work with also.  I might be wrong but I would think a 1 - 2 hour interview locked down, not cuts, would come out as a very dull interview.  

I perfectly understand that the R5 might not be for you. 

What do you shoot with now?  If money was no issue what camera would you use?

9 minutes ago, Super8 said:

I said shoot with two cameras.   Lots of references for highly produced interviews shot with two cameras.  This keep the viewer interested in cutting to a different view during that 1-2 hour interview and I would hope you have great b-roll to work with also.  I might be wrong but I would think a 1 - 2 hour interview locked down, not cuts, would come out as a very dull interview.  

I tend to shoot with 3 cameras, one of each person talking and a wide on both, for 2 person interviews  For logistics reasons, I'd prefer all 3 are continously recording.  I don't want one to stop partway and be pandered to.   

Besides if the R5 shut down and needed 10 mins rest, then I stand to lose 10 mins of footage.  Its not like the old 30 min clip limit, though those were annoying as well. 

It would depend on how quickly or frequently the problem manifested itself.  Something we don't yet really know.

37 minutes ago, Super8 said:

I perfectly understand that the R5 might not be for you. 

What do you shoot with now?  If money was no issue what camera would you use?

I always shoot interviews with 2 cameras. The exact issue remains. If you stop with one camera then you're reduced to one angle, which is no good. If you stop and start recording it makes it even more difficult, because when you're synching Multicam clips you have broken files to match up.  

Yes there are workarounds for hobbyists, but when you're turning over interviews day in, day out, these "little" workflow things are the difference between professionalism, happy clients, comfortable interviewees and stressful edits. I'd rather shoot a 1080p interview on a proper video camera than have to ditch a 4K camera after 30 min.

What if the interviewee finally gets comfortable at around 25min (not uncommon in my experience), drops their guard and starts revealing some really compelling emotional story? Do you say "oh can you wait 10 min while my camera recovers"? Or do you accept that you'll just use the second angle - guaranteed to be the one that doesn't let the viewer see the emotion in their eyes, or the tension in their gestures?

It's not about it not being right for me, it's about it being unsuitable for 4K capture of interviews. 

15 hours ago, rawshooter said:

The R5 is destined to become a b- or crash cam - but maybe not even that, because rigging it up in, let's say, a stunt car and then running out of time during the shoot because of its recording limit (and its general heat sensitivity) is not something that film productions will want to deal with.

In order to use it productively on a set or documentary/event shoot, you'd actually need 3-4 R5 bodies for quick swapping each time one of them has overheated (and to give the others enough time to completely cool off, which according to Canon's info sheet should be about one hour; maybe even bring a camping coolbox or small fridge to cool them down efficiently).

The thing is with what will you intercut it with. 90% of movies/advert shots are done on the Alexa 2.8k sensor. Most people on forum like this don't understand that. 99% of production won't deal with 8k footage.

15 hours ago, Super8 said:

No interview is going to be stuck on the subject for 30 minutes straight.   You always have a second camera capturing a different angle.   The work around for the R5 recording limit is not that hard to do.

LOL, its a joke or what. How many have you done. These thing must be rolling continuously for 2 or even 3 camera setup. You never know about how your subject is going to react to the camera.

41 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

LOL, its a joke or what. How many have you done. These thing must be rolling continuously for 2 or even 3 camera setup. You never know about how your subject is going to react to the camera.

My comment was about using TWO cameras as a work around with the R5.  Matt James Smith ? indicated that YOU WOULD HAVE TO STOP THE INTERVIEW while the R5 was cooling down.

Are we that amateurish that we think the interview talent WOULD ROLL for OVER an hour without ONE break? 

If you're talking "live event convention type settings" then why would you use the R5 ?  If you're in that setting delivering conference interviews and stage banter you get by with GH5 video quality and record all day. 

At some point image quality comes into play and all day shooting on the convention hall floor is not what the R5 should be used for.

1 hour ago, Matt James Smith ? said:

What if the interviewee finally gets comfortable at around 25min (not uncommon in my experience), drops their guard and starts revealing some really compelling emotional story? Do you say "oh can you wait 10 min while my camera recovers"? Or do you accept that you'll just use the second angle - guaranteed to be the one that doesn't let the viewer see the emotion in their eyes, or the tension in their gestures?

No you keep shooting because you have the 2nd camera rolling.   That 2nd angle should be just as good as your first angle.

I'm with you about the R5 not being ideal for interview shooting in any situation.

It's not about it not being right for me, it's about it being unsuitable for 4K capture of interviews. 

What camera do you use now? or mostly use now?

I have a feeling your answer will be very informative.

4 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

At what cost on thickness and weight? 
The S1H is a tank. Thanks but no thanks. 

1 minute ago, wolf33d said:

At what cost on thickness and weight? 
The S1H is a tank. Thanks but no thanks. 

I was just referring on what you said about weather sealing. You didn't mention the weight and size factors in your comment. So I was just saying that you can have a camera with a fan AND still have weather sealing. That's all.

1 hour ago, Super8 said:

No you keep shooting because you have the 2nd camera rolling.   That 2nd angle should be just as good as your first angle.

I'm with you about the R5 not being ideal for interview shooting in any situation.

What camera do you use now? or mostly use now?

I have a feeling your answer will be very informative.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about! I've already answered all your questions but you keep flogging a dead horse. You must have very little experience of shooting interviews.

I have used all sorts of cameras for all sorts of different jobs - from tiny client work to feature films to short docs for VICE - from crappy DSLR's to cinema cameras. Whatever the job calls for. That's why I know what is needed for interviews.

If you are focussing on "what camera I use" and think that's what makes a filmmaker, that confirms your naivety. It's a problem with a lot of talk on this forum - confusing technical camera knowledge for filmmaking. 

50 minutes ago, Super8 said:

My comment was about using TWO cameras as a work around with the R5.  Matt James Smith ? indicated that YOU WOULD HAVE TO STOP THE INTERVIEW while the R5 was cooling down.

Are we that amateurish that we think the interview talent WOULD ROLL for OVER an hour without ONE break? 

If you're talking "live event convention type settings" then why would you use the R5 ?  If you're in that setting delivering conference interviews and stage banter you get by with GH5 video quality and record all day. 

At some point image quality comes into play and all day shooting on the convention hall floor is not what the R5 should be used for.

How is this a response to what I said? You're trying to talk yourself out of a nonsense position. I don't see any value in continuing this conversation for either of us.

3 hours ago, Matt James Smith ? said:

You literally have no idea what you're talking about! I've already answered all your questions but you keep flogging a dead horse. You must have very little experience of shooting interviews.

I have used all sorts of cameras for all sorts of different jobs - from tiny client work to feature films to short docs for VICE - from crappy DSLR's to cinema cameras. Whatever the job calls for. That's why I know what is needed for interviews.

If you are focussing on "what camera I use" and think that's what makes a filmmaker, that confirms your naivety. It's a problem with a lot of talk on this forum - confusing technical camera knowledge for filmmaking. 

I'm asking what camera you use right now.  Do you have a camera that you own or what cameras do you use for your interviews.   

That's all I'm asking.

I’m currently very much enjoying using an Instax Wide 300. It’s not great for interviews but probably on par with an R5.

That's a great little camera.  I have 9 of them.  For a minute I was thinking you were using rented cine cameras that cost to much for DP's to afford to do your interviews.

1 hour ago, Super8 said:

That's a great little camera.  I have 9 of them.  For a minute I was thinking you were using rented cine cameras that cost to much for DP's to afford to do your interviews.

No I own two cinema cameras and three hybrids. As I say it’s irrelevant. I use the tool that works best for the job. For interviews it needs to be something that doesn’t crash after 30 min. Did I make that point already? 🙈

6 hours ago, Matt James Smith ? said:

Not only that. He's systematically bullshitting this forum in all his postings, doesn't know what he's talking about and obviously has none of the practical experience he claims to have.

It's becoming toxic because people google this forum for answers, and he's contaminating it with misinformation.

The biggest fraud who has been on this forum since Ebrahim Saadawi - unless he's the same person.

21 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

Not only that. He's systematically bullshitting this forum in all his postings, doesn't know what he's talking about and obviously has none of the practical experience he claims to have.

It's becoming toxic because people google this forum for answers, and he's contaminating it with misinformation.

The biggest fraud who has been on this forum since Ebrahim Saadawi - unless he's the same person.

Ah Ebrahim. The legend lives on.