Jump to content

Sony A7S III (Or will it be A7H?) set for July - video specs tease


Recommended Posts

On 8/16/2020 at 4:46 AM, Clément Gabriel Jolivet said:

Coming from a french (and not so convenient) solution maybe spoken about here called the Steadxp, i have to say i'm reaaaally excited Sony put it in those cameras...

Who remembers the original URSA Mini announcement from years ago? If I recall correctly, they did say it had a gyroscope built in to record that data for VFX work in post. 

Of course, in the final launch that feature got dropped. But maybe as this gets more popular, such as the FX9, then we'll see more and more having it. Time for an URSA Mini Pro G3 with the promised gyroscope??

On 8/16/2020 at 6:36 AM, Clément Gabriel Jolivet said:

True. This is even trickier with raw files as you need to grade before exporting and then stabilize in another software. Really hope this comes to Resolve natively as well.

If BMD puts it in the URSA Mini Pro G3 then it is certain to be supported in Resolve as well!
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You could literally post a frame from R5 or Arri Alexa, say it's a Sony A7siii frame and someone would say the color isnt that good and that something is wrong with the skin tones.

These recent camera releases have resulted in a significant amount of velocity  and trolling right across the web.  Every camera is good these days. Every single one. Nor is a single one of them

Some tests and a review from Brandon Li. Chris  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Who remembers the original URSA Mini announcement from years ago? If I recall correctly, they did say it had a gyroscope built in to record that data for VFX work in post. 

Of course, in the final launch that feature got dropped. But maybe as this gets more popular, such as the FX9, then we'll see more and more having it. Time for an URSA Mini Pro G3 with the promised gyroscope??

If BMD puts it in the URSA Mini Pro G3 then it is certain to be supported in Resolve as well!
 

Would be better as a addon. So we can use it over all our bm cams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, gyroscope data seems to be asked for by VFX guys (from what i understand this could be useful to simplify tracking - less motion blur & a way to stabilize footage, composite, then i guess remove it if shaky cam is needed after ?).

The way i understand it, Active mode uses the gyro data in camera, so, without the ability to tweak it in post, it should be working with any lenses (manual, vintage, ...) which is great.

I've heard in a video that E-mount zoom lenses could be controlled via the A7siii screen to do zoom movement "electronically", without touching the barrel of the lens, anybody has some footage of this feature ? I'd be interested to give it a look.

Now, I'd like to know which standard lens (zoom or not, Sony native or not) is the best overall for autofocus video, lowlight, speed, etc...I'd be ok going with the FE 35mm 1.8 but i don't know how it performs. I hope someone would do a serious comparison for the enhanced AF of the A7SIII with 28-75mm range in Sony, Tamron & Sigma with the latest firmware, etc...And if anybody has some feedback or content to share, thanks !

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Clément Gabriel Jolivet said:

Yes, gyroscope data seems to be asked for by VFX guys (from what i understand this could be useful to simplify tracking - less motion blur & a way to stabilize footage, composite, then i guess remove it if shaky cam is needed after ?).

The way i understand it, Active mode uses the gyro data in camera, so, without the ability to tweak it in post, it should be working with any lenses (manual, vintage, ...) which is great.

I've heard in a video that E-mount zoom lenses could be controlled via the A7siii screen to do zoom movement "electronically", without touching the barrel of the lens, anybody has some footage of this feature ? I'd be interested to give it a look.

Now, I'd like to know which standard lens (zoom or not, Sony native or not) is the best overall for autofocus video, lowlight, speed, etc...I'd be ok going with the FE 35mm 1.8 but i don't know how it performs. I hope someone would do a serious comparison for the enhanced AF of the A7SIII with 28-75mm range in Sony, Tamron & Sigma with the latest firmware, etc...And if anybody has some feedback or content to share, thanks !

 

 

 

When I had the A7III the AF on the Tamron 28-75 was absolutely excellent. 

I've pretty much decided to buy this camera over the holidays or next spring. Unless Nikon REALLY knocks it out of the park on it's next release. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The zoom feature can be used with clear image zoom, the digital zoom.  This doesn't work with the A7SIII as clear image zoom disables AF.

There are some aps-c lenses with motorized zooms (affordable), but the full frame ones are in the $10K+++ range.

So for the A7SIII, this isn't going to work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

When I had the A7III the AF on the Tamron 28-75 was absolutely excellent. 

I've pretty much decided to buy this camera over the holidays or next spring. Unless Nikon REALLY knocks it out of the park on it's next release. 

AF is even better with the new Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 DG DN lens.

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

The zoom feature can be used with clear image zoom, the digital zoom.  This doesn't work with the A7SIII as clear image zoom disables AF.

There are some aps-c lenses with motorized zooms (affordable), but the full frame ones are in the $10K+++ range.

So for the A7SIII, this isn't going to work. 

 

Is this specific to the A7SIII? CIZ in video mode doesn't disable AF on my cameras (A9, A6500), but face af isn't available, so I guess it's contrast based. It works well though, I use it all the time.

Controlling CIZ remotely works on the older cameras with apps, but not on my A9.  Although it might on other newer models.  This chart (referring to compatibility with Sony's desktop software) shows how the original A9 lacks certain features, https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/imagingedge/en/devices/

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, scotchtape said:

You have to follow the camera news, CIZ disables AF in A7SIII unless they change it down the road.

Are you sure about that?

I think i saw that clear zoom does not work in 4k or some of the 4k modes but does work in full HD (not sure which exactly).

It will not work in RAW video externally or for RAW photos of course.

Even the first version A7s clear zoom works with AF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 12:06 AM, IronFilm said:

Sony doesn't have a track record if giving big improvements via new firmware updates to their old cameras. (unless forced to, like what happened with the F5)

Thus I reckon this is highly unlikely the a7mk3 would get such an update. 

Maaaaybe if we were discussing Fuji instead, this would be a slim possibility. Perhaps. 

My Sony a9, has had 6 major firmware releases over a 3 year period, and some of those firmware upgrades literally brought it some amazing features and usability (eye AF, animal eye AF, intervalometer, video eye AF, etc, etc..  They do these firmware upgrades based on the processor, sensor, and body capabilities.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 3:51 PM, MeanRevert said:

It looks like some are 4:2:0 and some are 4:2:2, however.

true, but in EVERY single format and framerate, 4:2:2 10bit is an option.  In fact,

  1. XAVC HS 4K you get both 10bit 4:2:2 and 10bit 4:2:0
  2. XAVC S 4K you get both 10bit 4:2:2 and 8bit 4:2:0
  3. XAVC S-I 4K you ONLY get 10bit 4:2:2
  4. XAVC S HD you get both 10bit 4:2:2 and 8bit 4:2:0
  5. XAVC S-I HD you ONLY get 10bit 4:2:2
    ** 1-3 all support upto 120fps, and 4-5 supports upto 240fps

Just spent over an hour today in a zoom session with Sony PRO Support, I saw it personally, as I asked that (typed the above from some official slides he showed me (that I may have snapped a photo of, lol)

So, a better way to say what you said is:  The Sony A7SIII allows you to shoot ANY option on the camera in 10bit 4:2:2 color and also gives you the option to drop down to 10bit 4:2:0 on XAVC HS 4K and the option to drop down to 8bit 4:2:0 on the 2 XAVC S modes.  But every single option on that camera lets you shoot in 10bit 4:2:2

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Who remembers the original URSA Mini announcement from years ago? If I recall correctly, they did say it had a gyroscope built in to record that data for VFX work in post. 

Of course, in the final launch that feature got dropped. But maybe as this gets more popular, such as the FX9, then we'll see more and more having it. Time for an URSA Mini Pro G3 with the promised gyroscope??

If BMD puts it in the URSA Mini Pro G3 then it is certain to be supported in Resolve as well!
 

Heck, even my tiny little Sony RX Mark II has the gyro info embedded in the mp4 from about 2 years ago (that was their attempt to go against superior digital stabilization from GoPro and DJI Osmo Action), but the concept is the same.  For larger full frame, I actually really like that gyro data to use.  When you apply it, it literally is instantaneous, but the crop is hard to swallow.  Can't wait to see where this technology goes down the road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, noone said:

Are you sure about that?

I think i saw that clear zoom does not work in 4k or some of the 4k modes but does work in full HD (not sure which exactly).

It will not work in RAW video externally or for RAW photos of course.

Even the first version A7s clear zoom works with AF.

That's my memory of it but you're more than welcome to watch the p/reviews on YT and report back your findings to confirm or disprove.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

So which SD / CFExpress cards you guys gonna use with this cam?

I plan on mostly Sony TOUGH G cards (and a handful of original Sony UHS-II G cards (SF-G128) since those are V90 cards (well, actually HOLD that thought).  Also will be using some larger Sony TOUGH M cards which are V60 cards.  Most of my internal recordings will be on the V60's, with my B Roll and Slowmo on the V90 cards.  Will go external RAW for some, in which case, I have aquired several SSD's for my Ninja V (only one of which is an Atom X)

OK, back to the V90 statement.  

**WARNING**  For anyone who invested in those awesome Sony UHS-II G series cards like the SF-G128, SF-G64, SF-G32, they are currently NOT reporting themselves as V90 cards to the A7SIII (even though they clearly have the performance of a V90 card).  I brought this to Sony PRO Support today during a Zoom meeting, and proved that those cards generate the following error (currently) on the A7SIII:

"To perform shooting with this setting, use a memory card higher than SDXC V90 or a memory card higher than CFexpress VPG200 Slot 1"

He brought it to Engineer's attention today and will get back to me on what Sony is going to do about it.  Apparently those original G cards, just didn't have the label in the metadata of the media to say it is a V90 which is what the A7SIII's software does when you switch from mode to mode.  When you stick a memory card in, it handshakes with it and puts in temp memory info about the memory.  Then as you switch modes they have logic that ensure you have a V60 or V90 or even CFexpress Type A. 

Will pass along more once I hear back from PRO Support.  Might have to hack the info in the memory card to use it like a V90, not sure yet..

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Hangs4Fun said:

I plan on mostly Sony TOUGH G cards (and a handful of original Sony UHS-II G cards (SF-G128) since those are V90 cards (well, actually HOLD that thought).  Also will be using some larger Sony TOUGH M cards which are V60 cards.  Most of my internal recordings will be on the V60's, with my B Roll and Slowmo on the V90 cards.  Will go external RAW for some, in which case, I have aquired several SSD's for my Ninja V (only one of which is an Atom X)

OK, back to the V90 statement.  

**WARNING**  For anyone who invested in those awesome Sony UHS-II G series cards like the SF-G128, SF-G64, SF-G32, they are currently NOT reporting themselves as V90 cards to the A7SIII (even though they clearly have the performance of a V90 card).  I brought this to Sony PRO Support today during a Zoom meeting, and proved that those cards generate the following error (currently) on the A7SIII:

"To perform shooting with this setting, use a memory card higher than SDXC V90 or a memory card higher than CFexpress VPG200 Slot 1"

He brought it to Engineer's attention today and will get back to me on what Sony is going to do about it.  Apparently those original G cards, just didn't have the label in the metadata of the media to say it is a V90 which is what the A7SIII's software does when you switch from mode to mode.  When you stick a memory card in, it handshakes with it and puts in temp memory info about the memory.  Then as you switch modes they have logic that ensure you have a V60 or V90 or even CFexpress Type A. 

Will pass along more once I hear back from PRO Support.  Might have to hack the info in the memory card to use it like a V90, not sure yet..

Good info, thank you.

So any V90 card can handle all the modes including slow mo and All I?

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hangs4Fun said:

**WARNING**  For anyone who invested in those awesome Sony UHS-II G series cards like the SF-G128, SF-G64, SF-G32, they are currently NOT reporting themselves as V90 cards to the A7SIII (even though they clearly have the performance of a V90 card).  I brought this to Sony PRO Support today during a Zoom meeting, and proved that those cards generate the following error (currently) on the A7SIII:

Crap! That's what I have. Hopefully this will be resolved before I get my camera. Thanks for the info and if you don't mind, please be sure to let us know what you find out as far as a resolution to this. I'm also a PRO Support member. Maybe I will contact them as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MeanRevert said:

Good info, thank you.

So any V90 card can handle all the modes including slow mo and All I?

There are a couple of 'All I' modes - HD 240 and 4K 120 I believe - that need CF Express cards. Phillip Bloom covers it in this video....

But essentially V90 have you covered if you sacrifice 'All i' in some modes, Of course V90 are still pretty expensive - ProGrade often has good deals on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...