The New Panasonic G100 “vlogging” Camera to launch June 24th

Video Hummus

So Panasonic has the balls to market a G100 (which given the name may be in the same line as the G95/G99) as a vlogging camera.

I’m speculating it may have ToF device like the new iPad Pro for AF.

I have no evidence to present only that I find that more likely than Panasonic implementing PDAF! 🙃😂

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

So Panasonic has the balls to market a G100 (which given the name may be in the same line as the G95/G99) as a vlogging camera.

I’m speculating it may have ToF device like the new iPad Pro for AF.

I have no evidence to present only that I find that more likely than Panasonic implementing PDAF! 🙃😂

I hope it comes with better codecs than the Sony ZV1, preferably 10 bit and V-Log L at least.
Otherwise just go with the ZV1 and shoot HLG.

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I also feel like most of these "vlogging" cameras end up not being very good for vlogging. 

I just want a 1" sensor P&S for cheap, with a mic input, flip out/up screen, with a 24mm FoV equivalent prime lens

9 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I agree, if Panasonic wants to dominate the massive YT vlogger market then they simply need to nail down autofocus for faces. The Panasonic G85 already hits all the other sweet spots. (price / screen / IBIS / video quality / mic input / etc)

• Super Members

You would guess that following Sony's lead generally basing their new one on the RX100 that Panasonic would base theirs on the LX10/15 so it does seem unusual for them to give it a "G" model name if that was the case.

Though they could just be harmonising names and some of their models do have different model names in Japan (GX80 is GX7ii etc).

If it is based on the LX10/15 with a mic input and a sideways screen then it will be pretty decent.

I'm guessing they'll add HLG (it already has Cinelike D if you use my little discovery ;) ) but they might struggle against the Sony AF and the Sony also has quite a neat face based AE function that is very useful for vloggers.

If they keep the F1.4-2.8 lens of the LX10/15 then it will certainly be much faster.

However.....If the "G100" name is referencing that they've repurposed the LX100 with a swivel screen and a microphone input then, well, that would be very interesting even for those of us who've never stared into a lens and said "Hey guys, what's happening ?"

Still think that it is a G95/G90/G91 (fuck this nomenclature, Panasonic) replacement, since it was kind of a disapointment (maybe not so much in real use - thought the same about the GX85/GX9, but since I've got the GX9 my opinions changed).

I could guess that the sensor will be the same, and 4k now is not cropped (but probably no 4k60). Could have HLG too, and log with a paid upgrade, and a slightly improved IBIS.

The best hope is a PDAF /Tof AF - the Gxx and GX line usually shows first some techs that will be used in future GH cameras, like IBIS.

Indeed, a G95 with PDAF and no crop would be a very interesting camera.

Feels like todays vlogger need 4k 60p, can probably thank gopro for that.

Good microphone preamp.

Tilty flippy screen.

IBIS.

Light weight and decently sized.

No recording limit.

Good AF.

So it needs to have all that if they want to market it towards vloggers. If it is what the G90 shuold have been then it might be close to perfect camera for many uses.

Hoping we will see something, anything, related to AF innovation with this new camera.

I’ve said it before but a ToF device that picks up AF duties 3 meters in front of camera would be a great stop gap for improving their AF for vlogging and in front of camera talking head stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this will have a bigger sensor than the Sony ZV-1 1 inch sensor?

Also, having played with the Sony, I think it's biggest problem outside of the not-wide-enough lens is the stabilization is not good enough for walking.  Panasonic's IBIS from the G9 is great so I can see Panasonic winning this one if they can incorporate it.

15 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I just want a 1" sensor P&S for cheap, with a mic input, flip out/up screen, with a 24mm FoV equivalent prime lens

Don't you find a 24 too narrow?

When vloggers worked out that the 16-35 was the right lens then I think vlogs got a lot more comfortable.

I found that a 24mm without using a long extender felt like having a casual conversation when the first phrase should be "dude, why so close?"

11 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Links below!

Affiliate of course!

On another note, I think that action cameras aren't taken as seriously as they should be taken for vlogging.

They normally have a wider mode, now with linear lens corrections. Can have IBIS, detachable screens, mic inputs, and fixed focus (or at least small sensors that have large depth of field).

43Rumors says:

20MP

4k30p

3.8 MP EVF in the middle of the camera

Near gx9 size

G100 with 12-32mm kit lens will cost  $749

-

Unless it has better auto focus I can't see why this is a better vlogging camera than any of the other lower end Panasonic cameras. Maybe if it removes the crop and has better stabilization? But even then, with how cheap you can get a G85 or even GH5 used... 🤷🏻‍♂️ No 4K60p is just dumb. 

• Administrators
On 6/19/2020 at 12:05 PM, BTM_Pix said:

You would guess that following Sony's lead generally basing their new one on the RX100 that Panasonic would base theirs on the LX10/15 so it does seem unusual for them to give it a "G" model name if that was the case.

Though they could just be harmonising names and some of their models do have different model names in Japan (GX80 is GX7ii etc).

If it is based on the LX10/15 with a mic input and a sideways screen then it will be pretty decent.

I'm guessing they'll add HLG (it already has Cinelike D if you use my little discovery ;) ) but they might struggle against the Sony AF and the Sony also has quite a neat face based AE function that is very useful for vloggers.

If they keep the F1.4-2.8 lens of the LX10/15 then it will certainly be much faster.

However.....If the "G100" name is referencing that they've repurposed the LX100 with a swivel screen and a microphone input then, well, that would be very interesting even for those of us who've never stared into a lens and said "Hey guys, what's happening ?"

Would be interesting if they did a GX85 style body with phase-detect AF

Hopefully not a low-end vlog camera without VLOG

LX100 with a swivel screen and no crop in 4K, along with phase-detect AF would also get far more interest outside the niche of vloggers.

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

43Rumors says:

20MP

4k30p

Near gx9 size

-

Unless it has better auto focus I can't see why this is a better vlogging camera than any of the other lower end Panasonic cameras. Maybe if it removes the crop and has better stabilization? But even then, with how cheap you can get a G85 or even GH5 used... 🤷🏻‍♂️ No 4K60p is just dumb. 

If true,  no reason to go for this Panasonic vs the Sony ZV-1.

5 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

If true,  no reason to go for this Panasonic vs the Sony ZV-1.

I wouldn't go that far, but I imagine it'll be harder to sell if they can't claim similar auto focus at the very least. That's the main selling point for a lot of people when it comes to vlogging. 

12 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

43Rumors says:

20MP

4k30p

Near gx9 size

-

No word on autofocus. So its neither Contrast-based nor PDAF, in terms of confirmation. 

Though another G-Series camera, released with such urgency, would mean that it may highlight the roadmap for Panasonic for something (new sensor or new autofocus or some important new technology, that should eventually spill into the majority of Panasonic ILCs?). 

• Super Members
15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

LX100 with a swivel screen and no crop in 4K, along with phase-detect AF would also get far more interest outside the niche of vloggers.

I think they could really make an impact by basing it on the LX100.

Price wise even the MkII is about 20% cheaper than the RX100M5 and is actually cheaper than the new ZV1 as well so there shouldn't be an issue there.

Plus, that f1.7 lens on the bigger sensor is going to be a win.

I think for the vlogging angle, I know a way they could get around the lack of phase-detect AF using a technique with face detection (as that is the primary focus if you pardon the pun) that would work very effectively on a fixed lens camera because they could really tune it whereas with an interchangeable lens camera its more of a challenge.

As a general camera, I think it would be great to have an LX100 with a swivel screen and a mic input particularly as it is an underrated stills camera.

I did a test a fair while ago ostensibly as a comparison between the SD Quattro with a 35mm f1.4 ART and a Fuji X-T2 with their 35mm f1.4 and used my LX100 and DP2M as control subjects and was very surprised how it held up.

Top Row (L-R) SD Quattro   X-T2

Bottom Row (L-R) LX100   DP2M

AL-Comp3.jpg.13097b02da406d9bff08bd73114b5985.thumb.jpg.b5b44fab85b8dacfa276dd43d26a7e57.jpg

Just annoying that the LX100 has steadfastly refused to have Cinelike D put on it !