Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SR

Game of Thrones ... because why not

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Carl Sagan would have never been your friend!

I thought that it is common knowledge that the future of mankind is in space.

But to our point:

"It is estimated that some asteroids could contain all the platinum obtained from landmines in all of history and have a market price of hundreds of billions of dollars.

In fact, it is presumed that some contain iron, nickel or cobalt in sufficient quantity to cover the needs of the Earth for 3,000 years."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.interestingengineering.com/mining-in-space-what-it-means-for-the-economy

Google, Elon Musk, Amazon Bazos are the few that race for the space minerals already. They all loved and are inspired by Sagan..

Thanks for that, because @Mkabi almost convinced me that I have forgotten all my film and video education, work and viewing experience!

Actually, the earth itself probably has more of those metals than asteroids do, but it just can't be accessed in an economic way, either because it is too deep or it is too disperse. The same thing applies to asteroids. They might have high concentrations of specific metals, but unless there has been some enrichment process (on earth this happens through volcanism and related processes primarily - processes which don't happen on asteroids, hence no enrichment) it will not be feasible to mine it, even if you could get there and back. 

Carl Sagan had great dreams, but fuel costs money, and if the cost of fuel vastly exceeds to cost of whatever metal you want, then it is not worth it to go there. It makes far more sense to mine it here and use conservation/recycling when necessary.

Stuff might at some point be mined on asteroids, but those activities primarily would be to make whatever community lived there relatively self sufficient for bulk materials (again, because of the fuel costs for shipping resources to those places from other locations in the solar system)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Maybe the conversation has moved on, but this made me laugh:

"Thousands of Angry Game of Thrones Fans Call on HBO to Remake Season 8"

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/game-of-thrones-season-8-remake-petition-hbo 

ahaha this petition is more epic than the new season itself !

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

Almost 600 000 signatures.... when cnn shared it 7h ago, it was at 300 000...
I  read that the showrunners will write the next start wars. I hope they will have some books to follow 😄

sub-buzz-7076-1557715441-1.png.jpeg.2653004533d1d9f61325dd823d87dd0e.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mokara said:

Actually, the earth itself probably has more of those metals than asteroids do, but it just can't be accessed in an economic way, either because it is too deep or it is too disperse. The same thing applies to asteroids. They might have high concentrations of specific metals, but unless there has been some enrichment process (on earth this happens through volcanism and related processes primarily - processes which don't happen on asteroids, hence no enrichment) it will not be feasible to mine it, even if you could get there and back. 

Carl Sagan had great dreams, but fuel costs money, and if the cost of fuel vastly exceeds to cost of whatever metal you want, then it is not worth it to go there. It makes far more sense to mine it here and use conservation/recycling when necessary.

Stuff might at some point be mined on asteroids, but those activities primarily would be to make whatever community lived there relatively self sufficient for bulk materials (again, because of the fuel costs for shipping resources to those places from other locations in the solar system)

You are a rational person, I respect your opinions, but I have noticed a wee tiny bit of short-sightness from your part!

All the big explorers that traveled to Eastern Islands on bamboo rafts, conquered Mount Everest on foot, sledged with dogs to the poles, searched for India the wrong way, first explored space on quite litteraly a giant rocket just under their arses, and the millions of humans that conquered something that matters on this planet (from the first samanic-plant medicine to the radio isotopes) fueled all this knowledge and progress with their lives, and I can type words from my mobile phone right now.

Also, I never forget that Ignaz Semmelweis was put on an asylum and beaten to death.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Also, I never forget that Ignaz Semmelweis was put on an asylum and beaten to death.

 

Hmm, fake news.

"In 1865 he suffered a breakdown and was taken to a mental hospital, where he died. Ironically, his illness and death were caused by the infection of a wound on his right hand, apparently the result of an operation he had performed before being taken ill. He died of the same disease against which he had struggled all his professional life".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 1:01 AM, Mokara said:

She is not being a mad queen, what she is doing is perfectly logical in a medieval ruler mindset. It may not be palatable to modern sensibilities, but rulers in that sort of world were more like mafia bosses than modern state leaders, and you need to think about them from that point of view.  For Daenerys it would have been important to stamp her authority on the situation once it was clear that she had won, since there were competing claims to the throne. She would have wanted to make it VERY clear to anyone who had thoughts of opposing her, or supporting someone else for throne, that SHE was in charge and any opposition would be crushed without mercy. For that a show of force was necessary. In medieval society, kindness and mercy by rulers, especially when they were conquering new territory, was weakness. Making an example of Kings Landing was the correct move to cement her power. No one would dare oppose her after that. Medieval rulers did not look to be loved, they looked for absolute obedience no matter what. Fear, used judiciously, was the tool they used to maintain power, not love.

What the show writers did with her was the correct overall plot line. What was wrong about it was presenting it as an emotional response, when it should have been a more deliberate display of power for the sake of displaying power. This is what ruling is in an absolute monarchy.

Took a break from GoT. I said Dany deserved better based on how her character had been written till date. Anything is logical if you can justify it. Which is the point. If the arc hadn't been sped up, or worse--like in this case--skipped, I would have been fine with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Hmm, fake news.

"In 1865 he suffered a breakdown and was taken to a mental hospital, where he died. Ironically, his illness and death were caused by the infection of a wound on his right hand, apparently the result of an operation he had performed before being taken ill. He died of the same disease against which he had struggled all his professional life".

What are you? Cine-Trump?!

They guy was put on an asylum because he was right, and saved lives.

"Semmelweis was outraged by the indifference of the medical profession and began writing open and increasingly angry letters to prominent European obstetricians, at times denouncing them as irresponsible murderers. His contemporaries, including his wife, believed he was losing his mind and he was in 1865 committed to an asylum (mental institution). Semmelweis died there only 14 days later, possibly after being severely beaten by guards.

Semmelweis’ practice only earned widespread acceptance years after his death, when Louis Pasteur developed the germ theory of disease which offered a theoretical explanation for Semmelweis’ findings. Semmelweis is considered a pioneer of antiseptic procedures.

THE SEMMELWEIS REFLEX

The Semmelweis reflex or “Semmelweis effect” is a metaphor for the reflex-like tendency to reject new evidence or new knowledge because it contradicts established norms, beliefs or paradigms."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Maybe the conversation has moved on, but this made me laugh:

"Thousands of Angry Game of Thrones Fans Call on HBO to Remake Season 8"

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/game-of-thrones-season-8-remake-petition-hbo 

99% of mainstream media has these fake surveys, letters, uncorroborated evidence  sources and witnesses they cannot name etc.

 

Having said that, the 8th Season was superb visually (except the long night episode), but the story was all over the place. It was the most Disappointing Season in terms of writing. Considering how good the majority of the seasons were, not sure how such poor writing escaped security before it was turned into production. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What are you? Cine-Trump?!

They guy was put on an asylum because he was right, and saved lives.

"Semmelweis was outraged by the indifference of the medical profession and began writing open and increasingly angry letters to prominent European obstetricians, at times denouncing them as irresponsible murderers. His contemporaries, including his wife, believed he was losing his mind and he was in 1865 committed to an asylum (mental institution). Semmelweis died there only 14 days later, possibly after being severely beaten by guards.

Semmelweis’ practice only earned widespread acceptance years after his death, when Louis Pasteur developed the germ theory of disease which offered a theoretical explanation for Semmelweis’ findings. Semmelweis is considered a pioneer of antiseptic procedures.

THE SEMMELWEIS REFLEX

The Semmelweis reflex or “Semmelweis effect” is a metaphor for the reflex-like tendency to reject new evidence or new knowledge because it contradicts established norms, beliefs or paradigms."

He was Not beaten to death. He died from a wound that May have been caused when he Was beaten in the Asylum. That is a hell of a lot different than he was beaten to death. Jesus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

He was Not beaten to death. He died from a wound that May have been caused when he Was beaten in the Asylum. That is a hell of a lot different than he was beaten to death. Jesus.

He may or may not, that's not even inportant. I shouldn't put it there because it doesn't really matter.

My point was that he was already "dead" scientifically, professionally, ethically and then they put him on the asylum, because he was right when everyone else was wrong. But he was right, nevertheless.

Certainly, he died 14 days after.

6 hours ago, sanveer said:

99% of mainstream media has these fake surveys, letters, uncorroborated evidence  sources and witnesses they cannot name e.t.c

It is posted already and it is very real.

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

Who are the "mainstream media"? What is their purpose? Do you believe there is a conspiracy going on to push HBO to re-make the 8th season (and the 7th, probably..)? By whom, and why? What are the deeper forces hiding behind it? Are they fighting Goldmam Sachs - which Benioff's father is a shareholder and ex-president? Are the easterners fighting western values through Westeros?

All this PC and "fake news" anomalies will ruin the western civilization for sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 1:46 AM, Eric Calabros said:

Its not just calibration. Many people watch these tv series on their phones and tablets. If they are OLED, their max brightness is very low (how many of total mobile viewers have Samsung flagships?), and if they are LCD, glowing blacks make the whole thing horribly flat at max brightness. And then we have compression issues. In dragon fighting scene, it was like watching a 9gag clip in its gif days! 

WTF is the point of watching GoT or any cinematic show or movie on a phone or tablet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if you commute 1 hr each way to work every day, I can certainly understand passing the time with GOT on your phone. 

A lot of people here say the gear doesn’t matter, it’s all about the story. Doesn’t this also apply to the medium used to view that story?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, it's over... Just finished the last episode. I won't spoil, and in fact I find it hard to make a judgment. I have to think about it but, despite being really unsatisfied with how they wrote the end, it may be my favorite episode of this season (or should I say my least disappointment). I think the fact that Peter Dinklage is a lot present, with, as always, impressive acting, may be the reason...

But now, just have to wait for the next book !

I heard that new tv series are in production, one of them taking place in the ancient times of GOT. Anybody has information ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

So, it's over... Just finished the last episode. I won't spoil, and in fact I find it hard to make a judgment. I have to think about it but, despite being really unsatisfied with how they wrote the end, it may be my favorite episode of this season (or should I say my least disappointment). I think the fact that Peter Dinklage is a lot present, with, as always, impressive acting, may be the reason...

But now, just have to wait for the next book !

I heard that new tv series are in production, one of them taking place in the ancient times of GOT. Anybody has information ?

The season was so bad that the final episode was hilarious.

It even included a couple of plastic bottles.

Almost everything is illogical in this final episode. Nothing really mattered and all just happened so we have our best friends around the table. The good thing is that it ended.

The spin off will be thousands of years ago, First Men, children of the forest and the such.

It will take some time though. There are plenty of articles about it.

Until them: you are very welcome to laugh with the next Westworld!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...