Jump to content
Andrew Reid

5K RAW 24p video for $150 - Magic Lantern making great strides on Canon EOS M

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, tweak said:

Number one advantage: 7D - CF card like 5Diii, higher continuous write speeds.

Indeed, but now we have 10bit, 12bit, 14bit lossless as well as SD card overclock.

Therefore you can do almost max res 1920x1080 on the 70D at 50MB/s in 14bit lossless.

What's the current max res (full sensor) on the 7D?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah I just bought a EOS M myself yesterday.  Haven't got it yet from Amazon. Get it the 4th. So a new toy to play with. Too hard to pass up for the 140 Dollars I paid for it. A white body at that. I will be using my M42 lenses on it until I save a few more pennies for other options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Some 14bit lossless frames from my 70D. No sensor crop, full width Super 35mm. Continuous with SD UHS hack (approx. 50MB per sec)

M02-1631_000004b.jpg

M02-1659_000004b.jpg

M02-1642_000004b.jpg

It's very filmic.

No anti-aliasing filter used, just classic EF 28-70mm F2.8 with ND.

Digital Bolex with AF finally here!

What are the advantages of the 7D?

One more...

Seems VAF isn't even really needed!

M02-1630_000004b.jpg

(all frame grabs exported from DNGs as upscaled 4K JPEGs)

Nice one Andrew! These frame grabs look very nice coming from the 70D and even the 7D!  Glad to see Mr. Blue sky in the image, sets a nice scene. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I might have to buy one, they are pretty darn cheap second hand. How does the image compare to a BM Pocket camera (original one)? 

I recently purchased the Original BMPCC and have only tested it gently using a Lumix 20mm f1.7. I'm waiting for a Metabones Speedbooster to arrive to officially test it with my awesome lens pile, but so far I can say the EOS M RAW is sharper and more detailed. People describe the BMPCC as having "cinematic" image due to its soft cinema look. it's like someone stuck an invisible 1/8 Black Pro-mist filter in front of the sensor. Until the other gears arrive for the BMPCC, I really do prefer the EOS M. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZEEK said:

I recently purchased the Original BMPCC and have only tested it gently using a Lumix 20mm f1.7. I'm waiting for a Metabones Speedbooster to arrive to officially test it with my awesome lens pile, but so far I can say the EOS M RAW is sharper and more detailed. People describe the BMPCC as having "cinematic" image due to its soft cinema look. it's like someone stuck an invisible 1/8 Black Pro-mist filter in front of the sensor. Until the other gears arrive for the BMPCC, I really do prefer the EOS M. 

Interesting though I am talking the  70d not the EOSM, though maybe they perform the same. The one benefit of the Pocket is of course prores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Interesting though I am talking the  70d not the EOSM, though maybe they perform the same. The one benefit of the Pocket is of course prores. 

If the EOS M does well, I'm presuming the 70D should also. Prores is nice if you want something quick, though skin tones and detail are not as good as RAW. I prefer my old Sony A6300 for Prores. The Dynamic Range and cinematic image are what sets the BMPCC apart from other cameras within its price range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ZEEK said:

If the EOS M does well, I'm presuming the 70D should also. Prores is nice if you want something quick, though skin tones and detail are not as good as RAW. I prefer my old Sony A6300 for Prores. The Dynamic Range and cinematic image are what sets the BMPCC apart from other cameras within its price range. 

yeah I wonder what the rolling shutter is on the 70d in RAW, always trade offs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I know it is not listed to work, but does anyone know if either the EVF-DC1 or EVF-DC2 can work on the original EOS M? I am getting too old to see a LCD screen, my arms aren't long enough anymore lol.

I know people who have tested the EVF-DC1 on the original EOS M and have stated that it "doesn't" work. Not sure about the EVF-DC2 I would presume that won't work either. :(
I use this: 
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/V6-Magnifier-Hood-LCD-2-8x-Viewfinder-Extender-Magnetic-For-CANON-Eos-M/252672339287?epid=874907218&hash=item3ad471ed57:g:0RAAAOSwsW9YyVQF
Does the trick. Funny thing, I actually superglued the frame to the EOS M, looks great and the Viewfinder works like a charm! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ZEEK said:

I know people who have tested the EVF-DC1 on the original EOS M and have stated that it "doesn't" work. Not sure about the EVF-DC2 I would presume that won't work either. :(
I use this: 
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/V6-Magnifier-Hood-LCD-2-8x-Viewfinder-Extender-Magnetic-For-CANON-Eos-M/252672339287?epid=874907218&hash=item3ad471ed57:g:0RAAAOSwsW9YyVQF
Does the trick. Funny thing, I actually superglued the frame to the EOS M, looks great and the Viewfinder works like a charm! 

The EOS M doesn't have any added hotshoe contact (data) pins, so either won't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 11:49 PM, ZEEK said:

Loving the EOS M mostly due to its size and the ability to apply a Focal Reducer. Sold the 5DII. You can put the EOS M in one pocket and a C Mount Lens in the other lol.
But yeah the 70D is very nice indeed with that captivating Dual Pixel Autofocus alongside RAW (Gosh!). Not sure about the Aliasing with that camera though from what I've seen! Look forward to reading the blog! Cheers :)  

Hence, why Magic Lantern on the M50 would work so well. You'd have DPAF, flip-screen, and the focal reducer option for your full-frame lenses, not to mention C Mount possibilities too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, plucas said:

Hence, why Magic Lantern on the M50 would work so well. You'd have DPAF, flip-screen, and the focal reducer option for your full-frame lenses, not to mention C Mount possibilities too.

Yeah! EOS M50 with Magic Lantern would be insane. But it doesn't look like it'll be completed any time soon. By the time it finishes, there will probably be cameras out from Sony/Panasonic that can shoot 10K lol. The new Panasonic SH1 is introduced with 6K and 14 Stops of Dynamic Range and then there is an 8K Camera to be released. I'm still loving the upscaled to 4K footage from the outdated ML Cameras LOL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the whole point of ML for me, is that the images are artistic, low-fi, messed-up, film like, amazing to grade... The opposite of modern 8K digital.

No matter how good our expensive full frame mirrorless cameras get, there will always be a place for a ML raw video or Digital Bolex Super 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes the whole point of ML for me, is that the images are artistic, low-fi, messed-up, film like, amazing to grade... The opposite of modern 8K digital.

No matter how good our expensive full frame mirrorless cameras get, there will always be a place for a ML raw video or Digital Bolex Super 16

Agree. Besides, it's not like those 6K Panasonic or 8K SHARP cameras can shoot RAW, although the resolution is quite attractive. They'll still have that "Digital" look. ML Raw is truly MAGIC. It will be developed even further in the near future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes the whole point of ML for me, is that the images are artistic, low-fi, messed-up, film like, amazing to grade... The opposite of modern 8K digital.

No matter how good our expensive full frame mirrorless cameras get, there will always be a place for a ML raw video or Digital Bolex Super 16

Without mention you can always arrive there, no matter how hi-res'ed your acquisition is, the point is how robust the other crucial parameters are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanted to share my first trial with Canon EOS M, Magic Lantern RAW and vintage lenses.
Also the first time I use Davinci Resolve for editing and grading.
Overall I'm quite happy with the results.

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/bDT8-ChgzrE.
Make sure to watch it in 4K, even on non-4K screens, because it has way less compression artefacts.

Shot in mv1080 at 1736x976 resolution, 25fps.
Using Helios 44-2, Mir 1B and maybe in some shots the Jupiter 9.
Also used two stacked polariser filters as variable ND.
Didn't use a LCD viewfinder, but plan to use one next time.
Need to get more stable shots, so I applied stabilisation in post.
Sound recorded with Rode VideoMicro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...