Jump to content
Andrew Reid

5K RAW 24p video for $150 - Magic Lantern making great strides on Canon EOS M

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, plucas said:

For anyone who has used both the EOS M and 5Dii, what's the relative ISO capabilities when using Magic Lantern?

With the EOS M, I get lots of noise after 160-200. One of Andrew's articles made mention of noise at higher ISOs like 800 and 1600 (but that they added an attractive film-like grain).

Can the 5Dii keep a cleaner image at higher ISOs than the EOS M?

I have two EOS M's and have had two 5D2's, the 5D is cleaner than the EOS M without the speedbooster at high ISOs. Pop a speedbooster on the EOS M and then they're pretty close with the 5D slightly at the upper hand. Honestly, I don't get the point of shooting at high ISO's (unless it's your base ISO e.g. 800). If you must shoot in the dark, just use some cheap lights, an iphone screen or something and then add de-noising and it's fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, ZEEK said:

I have two EOS M's and have had two 5D2's, the 5D is cleaner than the EOS M without the speedbooster at high ISOs. Pop a speedbooster on the EOS M and then they're pretty close with the 5D slightly at the upper hand. Honestly, I don't get the point of shooting at high ISO's (unless it's your base ISO e.g. 800). If you must shoot in the dark, just use some cheap lights, an iphone screen or something and then add de-noising and it's fine. 

I suppose that's right. It helps best to apply a light source rather than rely on ISO.

I could imagine a use for higher ISO if you want to capture a deeper depth of field for your scene and natural light is poor. I live, for example, near a bridge that crosses a river in Geelong and would love to shoot the sunset there over the horizon.

Otherwise I've thought about buying one of those Neewer LED light panels that hook on to a hot shoe for the EOS M but a smartphone with the backlight turned on could work well enough too if the focus object is nearby.

Encouraging to hear that the EOS M with the speedbooster is a near match for the 5Dii. Thanks again, Zeek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guys,

I just pulled the trigger for this camera. However, the firmware version is 1.6 something and canon's site is only offering 2.3. Where can i download a credible 2.2 version? I understand the 2.3 on ML will brick the camera. 

 

thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, loybart said:

guys,

I just pulled the trigger for this camera. However, the firmware version is 1.6 something and canon's site is only offering 2.3. Where can i download a credible 2.2 version? I understand the 2.3 on ML will brick the camera. 

 

thanks.

Should be on the ML website. The 2.3 has an experimental ML version. You can also always downgrade back to 2.2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, loybart said:

I just pulled the trigger for this camera. However, the firmware version is 1.6 something and canon's site is only offering 2.3. Where can i download a credible 2.2 version? I understand the 2.3 on ML will brick the camera.

There is/was an ML version for EOSM firmware 2.0.3.  ML developer Daniel Fort has a 2.0.3 ML version from January 2017 on his bitbucket download page (scroll down to "magiclantern-Nightly.2017Jan13.EOSM203.zip"),

 

 

Always make sure that your camera battery is fully charged before you attempt to install Magic Lantern.

 

 

If you would like to downgrade your EOSM firmware to 2.0.2, and then install the latest builds for 2.0.2, here is Daniel Fort's tutorial on how to downgrade Canon firmware.  It is fairly easy, once you have the firmware (.fir) file -- just reflash the firmware the same way you would flash ML (except the SD card should not have the "boot flag" enabled).

 

 

Always make sure that your camera battery is fully charged before you attempt a firmware update.

 


Canon doesn't seem to have the EOSM 2.0.2 firmware posted for download, but here is the link that Daniel Fort gives for most Canon firmware (scroll to the bottom of this page to find the firmware links).

 

 

The EOSM 2.0.2 firmware can also be found on this non-Canon page.  Scroll down to the firmware download link for "eosm-v202-win.zip" near the bottom of the page (it's not the "ksd291a_installer.zip" download link near the top of the page).  Windows (nor any other particular OS) is not required, once you have extracted the firmware from the zip file.

 

 

In Fort's firmware downgrade tutorial, he seems to suggest that it is very unlikely that someone would/could tamper with compressed Canon firmware files (.fir)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tupp said:

There is/was an ML version for EOSM firmware 2.0.3.  ML developer Daniel Fort has a 2.0.3 ML version from January 2017 on his bitbucket download page (scroll down to "magiclantern-Nightly.2017Jan13.EOSM203.zip"),

 

 

Always make sure that your camera battery is fully charged before you attempt to install Magic Lantern.

 

 

If you would like to downgrade your EOSM firmware to 2.0.2, and then install the latest builds for 2.0.2, here is Daniel Fort's tutorial on how to downgrade Canon firmware.  It is fairly easy, once you have the firmware (.fir) file -- just reflash the firmware the same way you would flash ML (except the SD card should not have the "boot flag" enabled).

 

 

Always make sure that your camera battery is fully charged before you attempt a firmware update.

 


Canon doesn't seem to have the EOSM 2.0.2 firmware posted for download, but here is the link that Daniel Fort gives for most Canon firmware (scroll to the bottom of this page to find the firmware links).

 

 

The EOSM 2.0.2 firmware can also be found on this non-Canon page.  Scroll down to the firmware download link for "eosm-v202-win.zip" near the bottom of the page (it's not the "ksd291a_installer.zip" download link near the top of the page).  Windows (nor any other particular OS) is not required, once you have extracted the firmware from the zip file.

 

 

In Fort's firmware downgrade tutorial, he seems to suggest that it is very unlikely that someone would/could tamper with compressed Canon firmware files (.fir)

Tupp,

Thanks. This group is awesome. Hopefully I will be testing the camera this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, plucas said:

Nice one Pau! The whole rig looks breathtaking, now it's time to see some footage ;) . You've gone the Vintage Minolta route, nice one! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bad! Should've made clear that this is somebody else's rig. It just impressed me; that's all. It does show though how useful the EOS M has become for serious hobbyists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually when people argue about camera sale statistics from Japan they show lists that is excluding crop sensor cameras and DSLRs (in order to make the Z6, EOS-R, A7iii look better, because DSLRs still outsell them all). And when one looks at a list that at least shows all the mirrorless cameras, crop sensors included, It is an EOS-M model at the top.

Pretty interesting imo. Goes to show that our "old" views doesn't apply to the generation that will run the world in 10-15 years.
My tip from a business stand point is to stop brushing "millennial", "vloggers" and "kids" under the rug. Because it will be your doom.
Adapt or disappear.

(This is June only so it doesn't represent the whole truth. Should go without saying but Ive learned to stop overestimating the internet ;) )

201907181211_2.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Usually when people argue about camera sale statistics from Japan they show lists that is excluding crop sensor cameras and DSLRs (in order to make the Z6, EOS-R, A7iii look better, because DSLRs still outsell them all). And when one looks at a list that at least shows all the mirrorless cameras, crop sensors included, It is an EOS-M model at the top.

Pretty interesting imo. Goes to show that our "old" views doesn't apply to the generation that will run the world in 10-15 years.
My tip from a business stand point is to stop brushing "millennial", "vloggers" and "kids" under the rug. Because it will be your doom.
Adapt or disappear.

(This is June only so it doesn't represent the whole truth. Should go without saying but Ive learned to stop overestimating the internet ;) )

201907181211_2.jpg

 

Oh I will be dead thank God by the time those silly bastards take over. If you are younger than me than you Are doomed.

And your list is silly as hell. Naturally cheaper cameras are going to sell a shit pot more than cameras that cost 3 to 5 times more. Crazy people. Aren't you a "millennial"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckily there are many business men and women in your age that does not roll over and give up. Instead they see the potential for something different, which unlike what many believe, isn't the same as worse. Will be fun to follow which camera companies that gets it and doesn't die.

Trying to make the this century a copy paste of the last is a first class ticket to marginalization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 10:38 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Luckily there are many business men and women in your age that does not roll over and give up. Instead they see the potential for something different, which unlike what many believe, isn't the same as worse. Will be fun to follow which camera companies that gets it and doesn't die.

Trying to make the this century a copy paste of the last is a first class ticket to marginalization.

You don't know much about politics then. Any radical change is suicide. They might know they are wrong, but money and power is stronger than common sense. That is why it is so screwed up now. And the trend now for young people wanting everything for free is Socialism. We see how well that has worked out around the world. A middle ground well sure. Not extremes.

Every 4 to 8 years here in the USA the pengelium swings the complete opposite way. Republicans versus the Democrats. Sort of kept it in balance in the past. Now all I see is hatred toward the other side. No good end in the near future for that kind of belief. Radical beliefs lead to Very bad outcomes.

In this day and age 3 to 4 top economies can change the entire world. Not like it was years ago. Everyone is vulnerable now. Times have changed, probably for the worse. Too little, too late now. The Oh My God moment was several years ago. To me the EU put a heck of a lot of countries in harms way more than they have helped them down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shell64 said:

Canon eos m raw w/ experimental builds vs canon 50d. What is better and more stable for raw video?

I find the Eos M more stable. Canon 50D wasn't really made for video and will overheat. And not sure the 50D is actively supported at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like ML development on the EOS M is actively ongoing. There are new experimental builds available every week or two. It has a great (small) form factor, accepts a speedbooster, and thereby allows you to film with a 1.14X field of view crop. It upscales to 4K decently.

The weakness is the low light performance and lack of autofocus but compared to the 50D, I can't imagine you'll fare worse.

If you need any conviction about the potential of the EOS M, search "Zeek magic lantern" on Youtube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...