Jump to content

Sharp's new 8K M43 camera


ntblowz
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 1/14/2019 at 12:55 PM, etudiant said:

Canon's frantic '8K is in our road map' comment suggests they recognize the challenge.

When they don't even put 4K into their products (hello C100, still stuck with merely a mk2 1080 one!) or "barely" do so (any product from Canon), then you can color me very skeptic when it comes to Canon and 8K

On 1/15/2019 at 1:22 AM, kye said:

Just ask yourself WWCD? (what would Canon do?) and then do the opposite!!

Hahaha!

On 1/15/2019 at 8:45 AM, webrunner5 said:

Photo stuff is all about super good AF and Tons of lens choices.

Sigma and Leica will together ensure there are plenty of quality lens choices in the near future for the Panasonic S1/S1R!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2019 at 1:32 AM, kye said:

I agree about using a fisheye and reframing, and also that the 180 shutter is less of a rule than perhaps it used to be.  In fact, I have been watching the latest season of Peaky Blinders (great show BTW - fantastic in pretty much every way) but there was a scene where a ceiling fan was operating and the fan blades were appearing about every 90 degrees of their rotation with no visible motion blur, so even that level of production seems like it didn't stick to the 180 shutter, for one shot at least, which I thought was interesting :)

Kinda odd, why didn't they whack in an ND filter? They're indoors, so it is not like the light is so strong they'd run out of NDs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Kinda odd, why didn't they whack in an ND filter? They're indoors, so it is not like the light is so strong they'd run out of NDs.

I have no idea - the level of production design on the show is exceptional, unless they had an accident and broke their only ND, or a logistics error of some kind.  Probably one of those 'X happened and we thought no-one would notice' kind of things..  Strange though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kye said:

I have no idea - the level of production design on the show is exceptional, unless they had an accident and broke their only ND, or a logistics error of some kind.  Probably one of those 'X happened and we thought no-one would notice' kind of things..  Strange though!

I do not remember the scene, but they could just took an artistic decision. Not everything has to be technical and I do not believe anything random allowed to be broadcasted from that show. It is too good for that.

Which episode is that you said?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I do not remember the scene, but they could just took an artistic decision. Not everything has to be technical and I do not believe anything random allowed to be broadcasted from that show. It is too good for that.

Which episode is that you said?

Maybe it was an artistic decision.  When I was investigating using video as a way to grab still frames as photos I did a bunch of reading about different shutter angles, and there was a great explanation about how one of those war movies (Saving Private Ryan IIRC) used 90 degree and 45 degree angles to make the horror seem less stylised and kind of blurred over.  They spoke about how in 180 degree angle explosions are just big blurs, whereas if you shorten the shutter time then you can see the bits of things (and people) flying and it makes it much more visceral.  

In a sense the cinematic look is a pleasant style, and they didn't want it to be pleasant, they wanted it to be graphic and awful.  Maybe Peaky Blinders make similar choices, it would certainly fit with their subject matter and storylines!

The one I noticed was S4E2 at the 48 minute mark, with the shot looking up at a balcony with a ceiling fan above that.  Just looking at it now the shutter angle is very short indeed, but it's not a graphic moment in itself, so who knows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, kye said:

For example if you have a cooking show you can have a wide angle lens, and turn that into a wide, a medium of you, and various close-ups of what you're doing on the bench.  Anyone presenting anything like this would benefit.  If you had a 16mm lens you could have a 16mm wide, a 35mm mid of you, and up to a 70mm FOV for details and still be in 1080, 100mm if you're willing to rescale a bit.

Your sound department will HATE you

https://www.facebook.com/groups/moviesetmemes/permalink/2217668191636156/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More and more I see evolution of m43 and comparative possibility of format especially for video/moviemaking, I am more firmly in bizarre opinion that in the future matter of question will be - does the FF mirrorless will be dead :) Big FF fish will eat each other market autistically looking at their Bokeh, desperately trying to catch speedy  little m43 fish with sharp or cinematic teeth... (Medium format Orka's bokeh are also coming.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

No, boom mic exists to captured dialogue. 

ok.  my completely unscientific impression of these types of YT videos is that there's often a lav visible, or invisible but audible if they move too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on what you mean by "these types of videos"?

Yes a visible lav is likely for many casual YouTubers to be the most foolproof approach for usable decent audio under difficult locations (such as while shopping, or at the beach, or on a busy road, etc) with no sound crew. 

But if it is a film with a bit of a budget and a crew? Then the boom mic should be for dialogue, and lavs just exist for when the DoP/producer/director are screwing you over with no other option without resorting to ADR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Depends on what you mean by "these types of videos"?

Yes a visible lav is likely for many casual YouTubers to be the most foolproof approach for usable decent audio under difficult locations (such as while shopping, or at the beach, or on a busy road, etc) with no sound crew. 

But if it is a film with a bit of a budget and a crew? Then the boom mic should be for dialogue, and lavs just exist for when the DoP/producer/director are screwing you over with no other option without resorting to ADR

I've found lavs are often better than inexperienced boom operators (for example, hey I got my friend here to do handle the boom?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I've found lavs are often better than inexperienced boom operators (for example, hey I got my friend here to do handle the boom?)

Sadly this is very true if they're a clueless brand new n00b

But a little bit of gentle guidance and understanding can go a long way. Often had to do this when being DoP on my very small shoots and using someone random to boom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Depends on what you mean by "these types of videos"?

Yes a visible lav is likely for many casual YouTubers to be the most foolproof approach for usable decent audio under difficult locations (such as while shopping, or at the beach, or on a busy road, etc) with no sound crew. 

But if it is a film with a bit of a budget and a crew? Then the boom mic should be for dialogue, and lavs just exist for when the DoP/producer/director are screwing you over with no other option without resorting to ADR

The kind where the talent is a solo-operator who films themselves on a set and might benefit from a wide-angle lens with 8K and cropping in to make virtual camera angles.  You said that the wide angle is the enemy of the sound person and boom mics, and I said that these types of videos might use a lav and the boom could be off-screen and only for ambient sounds of them doing things.

It's a very specific use-case for 8K, but one that I think might be quite popular on YT as it simulates a much more complex setup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kye said:

It's a very specific use-case for 8K, but one that I think might be quite popular on YT as it simulates a much more complex setup.

Yeah you see so so many massive crop ins to 320P in a 4K upload by YouTubers that I bet an 8K source would be loved by them for this. But you'd have to be super sure about your focus!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, Kisaha said:

Great Dave! do not know about the dance, but yeah, pretty cool in general!

Do you have any sense about over heating, or not, and recording times?

a camera that great, on such an early production cycle it's just brilliant.

If it is close to 1.999$ and has some sort of Insta One X stabilization (in 4 or 6K) and 10bit log, then it can be something!

I love the form factor!

So literally everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt. This camera was SOOOO beta it was ridiculous. Totally a prototype...not even a demo unit. 

 

The camera got hot after shooting with it but never overheated.

No idea on recording times...never ran into a cutoff but we didnt run it past 5 minutes to save on file size. 

No IBIS or stabilization to come that I know of....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

No IBIS or stabilization to come that I know of....

Have you heard of any chatter that maybe they'll add this? 

As I reckon when shooting with such high resolutions then IBIS is handy

But also IBIS might be tricky with the massive amount of cooling I'm sure that 8K sensor needs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Have you heard of any chatter that maybe they'll add this? 

As I reckon when shooting with such high resolutions then IBIS is handy

But also IBIS might be tricky with the massive amount of cooling I'm sure that 8K sensor needs!

Have you seen the unbelievable software stabilization that Insta X one (5.7K) and other such cameras have?

With 8K, it would be a lot easier to offer you 6K with incredible stabilization, and 8K without.

I believe the advantages of these cameras (8K prosumer) will be that they will be offering a few tricks, and deliver in 4K or something, such stabilization, various crop modes, and some automation and "editing" tricks on the fly (like face recognition, and choose where to zoom or pan, or whatever) e.t.c

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...