Jump to content
Andrew Reid

I WILL be getting a Fuji X-T3!

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Interesting to see the xh1 will get a 2 stop upgrade to ibis when used with ois lenses too. Their upgrade program is truly great!

I feel like I've said this way too many times here, and people probably think I'm just trolling bc no one ever responds to it- when I spent a week with the X-H1, I found the ibis to be almost unusable for video, unless you are standing completely still, way to jerky otherwise. Has this changed, or is this not your experience with it? I would possibly return my X-T3 and go with the X-H1 if I thought the stabilization had improved (I'm coming from past GH5 ownership so I'm spoiled in the stabilization department and prefer good stabilization over 10bit if I had to choose), esp since, knowing Fuji, the X-H1 may get some of the X-T3's features at some point through firmware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

- when I spent a week with the X-H1, I found the ibis to be almost unusable for video, unless you are standing completely still, way to jerky otherwise. 

That is not my experience at all. Its very usable for video. Almost as good as my Panasonic G80/85. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be receiving my x-t3 wednesday. Regarding battery life, anybody can confirm you can recharge via usb, and camera if camera can actually be powered via usb?

I'm used to power my BMPCC and Pana GX80 via usb power bank so it would be cool if I could still use my power bank instead of buying lots of batteries.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

That is not my experience at all. Its very usable for video. Almost as good as my Panasonic G80/85. 

Really? You don't get jerkiness if panning or moving side to side? Walking forward or standing still I found it to be great, but any movement left or right caused the sensor to keep jerking back into position.

Well thats disappointing, I was hoping someone would say a firmware had come out to improve or was on the way, not that I'm imagining things.

I see- https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-h1-firmware-update-will-improve-ibis-in-2018/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

What lens were you using?... the 18-55 seems fine for dolly/pan type shots, especially at the wide end.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hi-jack the x-t3 topic with x-h1 comments.

I believe it was either the 23mm f2 or 35mm f2. Here is the only clip I have from my time with the camera,  around the :15 sec mark I think you can see the jerkiness when panning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuji Kaizen update news:

1. X-H1 to receive firmware update to offer dual IS (IBIS + lens OIS), which adds 1.5-2 stops of additional stablisation.

2. X-T3 (and very likely X-H1/X-T2) to receive firmware update to enable file size larger than 4GB when using SD cards formatted as exFAT (64GB+).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, androidlad said:

X-T3 10bit encoding anaylsis from Weibo:

https://www.weibo.com/KazuoHiraiSONY?is_hot=1#1538181717102

X-T3 10bit HEVC encoder has SAO (Sample Adaptive Offset) and SIS (Strong Intra Smoothing) filters enabled, which unfortunately reduces high frequency detail. 

While that might be true, both are designed to reduce artifacts like banding, blocking, ringing, and both are enabled in x265 by default, so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

While that might be true, both are designed to reduce artifacts like banding, blocking, ringing, and both are enabled in x265 by default, so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

Yes, these two filters are designed to preserve overall image quality at low bitrate, at 200/400Mbps bitrate Fuji implemented, they really should disable those filters to allow more fine detail to come through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Yes, these two filters are designed to preserve overall image quality at low bitrate, at 200/400Mbps bitrate Fuji implemented, they really should disable those filters to allow more fine detail to come through.

But do they really reduce fine detail at these high bitrates? Would love to see a comparison, maybe this is for pixel peepers only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

But do they really reduce fine detail at these high bitrates? Would love to see a comparison, maybe this is for pixel peepers only.

SAO and SIS are essentially smoothing filters and are bitrate independent. UHD BD authoring tools have these turned off.

http://iphome.hhi.de/wiegand/assets/pdfs/2012_12_IEEE-HEVC-Performance.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, androidlad said:

SAO and SIS are essentially smoothing filters and are bitrate independent. UHD BD authoring tools have these turned off.

http://iphome.hhi.de/wiegand/assets/pdfs/2012_12_IEEE-HEVC-Performance.pdf

Well, all we need is someone with an X-T3 and an external recorder to see if there's any visible difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, androidlad said:

 

8 hours ago, androidlad said:

Fuji Kaizen update news:

1. X-H1 to receive firmware update to offer dual IS (IBIS + lens OIS), which adds 1.5-2 stops of additional stablisation.

2. X-T3 (and very likely X-H1/X-T2) to receive firmware update to enable file size larger than 4GB when using SD cards formatted as exFAT (64GB+).

 

Please give us a believable source. You’re not Luke Mason in disguise are you? Back with a vengeance, dropping “knowledge” here citing no one except yourself or, in this case, some obscure Weibo account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

Please give us a believable source. You’re not Luke Mason in disguise are you? Back with a vengeance, dropping “knowledge” here citing no one except yourself or, in this case, some obscure Weibo account.

Ha I'm not that daft prick, are you?

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t3-new-firmware-will-add-exfat-file-system-support-eliminating-4gb-file-size-limit/

The Weibo lady is a well respected figure in the Japanese semiconductor industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...