Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

Just now, CyclingBen said:

@jonpais we get it, you don’t like Fuji, and love Sony. I love Sony too, their broadcast cameras are awesome, if I still worked in broadcast I wouldn’t want anything else. To be fair, if I had your prior poor experience with Fuji I wouldn’t like them either moving forward. I feel the same way about Panasonic for hybrid cameras (really like their broadcast offerings though).

In response:

First, obviously look at both camera bodies. The specs are what I was talking about.

Second, no one thought Panasonic would go full frame, yet here we are. I agree, Fuji will stay with apsc until smartphones catch up and their medium format might always be a niche product, sorry for being hyperbolic.

Sensor wise, it’s different than any other Fuji sensor. So either:

1. Sony completely changed their design

2. Fuji redid their X-trans color array (although the GFX50 R and S don’t have X-trans and are almost the same as the X-H1, X-T2, etc when it comes to colors and expected performance for noise and ISO)

3. Samsung made the sensor and Fuji mirrored the specs of the NX1

4. BSI makes way more of a difference than we (me at least) thought

5. Canon made the sensor and accidentally sent them to Fuji instead of putting it in the R. (Note this is sarcasm)

I’ll leave these frame exports here, from the X-T3, NX1 and A73.

33027116-00F6-4D96-8B1C-DFC5D09B537D.jpeg

B29BD81B-7903-44F9-B8A6-63D42DFF71AC.jpeg

9F8BFA0B-EDB4-4E10-A826-C703345B3294.jpeg

Great pictures!

You're right about #1, it's a completely new generation of sensor, 3.76um photosite architecture that's also used in the 100MP sensor in GFX100.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 'mini medium format' of Fuji GFX is a bit of a dead end or very niche (it is mostly attractive to photographers who like to shoot a 1:1 aspect ratio.)

The reason is fairly simple - the sensor size is simply too 'small' to make a meaningful difference relative to full frame.

mini medium format = 44 x 33mm

FF = 36 x 24mm

For people who shoot landscape the horizantal, the difference between the two sensors is a little over 20% (44 v 36). So the light gathering difference is less than half a stop and the resolution difference 20%. This is much less than FF v APSC and APSC v M43. (And is virtually a rounding error in the greater scheme of things.)

16 minutes ago, CyclingBen said:

@jonpais we get it, you don’t like Fuji, and love Sony. I love Sony too, their broadcast cameras are awesome, if I still worked in broadcast I wouldn’t want anything else. To be fair, if I had your prior poor experience with Fuji I wouldn’t like them either moving forward. I feel the same way about Panasonic for hybrid cameras (really like their broadcast offerings though).

In response:

First, obviously look at both camera bodies. The specs are what I was talking about.

Second, no one thought Panasonic would go full frame, yet here we are. I agree, Fuji will stay with apsc until smartphones catch up and their medium format might always be a niche product, sorry for being hyperbolic.

Sensor wise, it’s different than any other Fuji sensor. So either:

1. Sony completely changed their design

2. Fuji redid their X-trans color array (although the GFX50 R and S don’t have X-trans and are almost the same as the X-H1, X-T2, etc when it comes to colors and expected performance for noise and ISO)

3. Samsung made the sensor and Fuji mirrored the specs of the NX1

4. BSI makes way more of a difference than we (me at least) thought

5. Canon made the sensor and accidentally sent them to Fuji instead of putting it in the R. (Note this is sarcasm)

I’ll leave these frame exports here, from the X-T3, NX1 and A73.

33027116-00F6-4D96-8B1C-DFC5D09B537D.jpeg

B29BD81B-7903-44F9-B8A6-63D42DFF71AC.jpeg

9F8BFA0B-EDB4-4E10-A826-C703345B3294.jpeg

No, you don’t get it. Samsung is a dead system. Your claims of Fuji eventually abandoning APS-C for medium format are utterly absurd, as is your speculation about Fuji even considering the NX1 when designing the X-T3. Fuji have their own unique vision for where they are headed. And you have zero basis for asserting that Samsung made the sensor. 

7 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

How does the rolling shutter, 10-bit, 4k60p, log profile and lens selection with the NX1 compare to the XT3? Are you really focusing on the 120p crop and not looking at the entire package? You can shoot 30 raw still images per second with the XT3 and 4k 10-bit internal with a true log profile, come on.

The NX1 was a nice camera, but the XT3 is a NX1 that goes to 11, with a much better ecosystem.

Chris

Isn't 4k60p cropped also?  I was just saying that I was expecting in 2018 to drop these freaking crop factors for >1.5k cameras that clearly shows they just can't handle the data.

So did you check the ISO?

I have to agree with @jonpais I don't think Fuji was looking at the Samsung. Fuji has been iterating their cameras pretty predictable, so the X-T3 became what was expected. There are a lot of nice things there. Their optics and colors are some of the best in the industry. 

And with the MK lenses they clearly showed, that they are also committed to video shooters. Personally I prefer the handling of the X-H1, but the image quality out of the X-T3 is just better. It might be one of the best cameras to get for video - and that for 1500$! 

Just for historical reasons, I remember reading interviews from Fuji execs (one was in DPR I believe) that they were following what Samsung was doing and they were humbled by the processing power and technological solutions of NX system.

I believe that Fuji were most happy after Samsung abandoned the market.

X-T3 is a huge leap forward since the X-T2, not even close.

What lenses are you guys buying? Anyone done any AF testing on the various options?

On a side note, I just shot a beach wedding in Portugal on the XH1... I knew the venue had alot of space as the ceremony was on the beach and the party was around a pool ... so shot the whole thing on the 90mm.... just looking through the shots now, looks absolutely stunning and worth some of the complications on the day. Some shots lost to AF though, so the XT3 or XH2 will certainly be added to next year's kit. 

FXH14141.thumb.png.60d73efc9b0e9e85339870f34f6e519d.png

On 9/27/2018 at 12:54 PM, Ingerson said:

Rolling shutter tests here:

4k 24p: https://vimeo.com/292103456/f01f36ff9b
4k 60p: https://vimeo.com/292103784/bae8f67cef
1080p24: https://vimeo.com/292104075/3cca0aa757
1080p60: https://vimeo.com/292104319/73eacbf42b
1080p120 (24fps playback): https://vimeo.com/292104581/7488279a51

what lens was used?

12 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Would you guys consider the XF16-55 over the XF18-55 for video? Does the IQ difference translate into video as well? Is the XF16-55 smoother in video AF? I know the big guy doesn't have OIS, but I'm on tripod/gimbal most of the time.

Get the 18-55. You’ll appreciate the  form factor and OIS. If you can’t get sharp images with it, you won’t get sharp images with anything else either. Your wallet will thank you.

23 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Would you guys consider the XF16-55 over the XF18-55 for video? Does the IQ difference translate into video as well? Is the XF16-55 smoother in video AF? I know the big guy doesn't have OIS, but I'm on tripod/gimbal most of the time.

The 18-55 is what it is, a small, cheap, above average kit lens, the AF is good and smooth. I've yet to try the 16-55, so can't give a direct comparison, but the 18-55 doesn't have the soul of the prime lens, which is to be expected.