The new Blackmagic RAW Codec

Anaconda_

Wait.  How could it be more processor intensive?  The camera already has to de-mosaic fully in order to create a video file.   DNG was just skipping that process altogether.  Blackmagic raw is supposed to do most of the heavy lifting of the de-mosaic but not fully.  (not sure how that works exactly).  So I cant see it being any more processor intensive than just regular video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
50 minutes ago, DBounce said:

How would this be revolutionary? My C200 can shoot 4K raw for more than an hour? Or can BMD cameras not do this?

I didn't know that, I shoot mainly 1080 DNXHD 145 mbit 8bit with my Ninja and it must be about  60 GB per hour. I don't know if they have 1080p version of the raw, but it would be less than 8bit prores/dnxhd. I could be shooting RAW and save space, I am stunned. So what are the RAW bitrate in the C200.

39 minutes ago, MattH said:

Wait.  How could it be more processor intensive?  The camera already has to de-mosaic fully in order to create a video file.   DNG was just skipping that process altogether.  Blackmagic raw is supposed to do most of the heavy lifting of the de-mosaic but not fully.  (not sure how that works exactly).  So I cant see it being any more processor intensive than just regular video.

Compression is always very processor intensive, Raw uncompressed is really easy because the camera is already reading from the sensor, compression is another processing, you have to  take that data and run a bunch of algorithm in real time to compress that. Its like when you render your timeline and it is compressed to some format and the amount of processor and GPU we use to speed it up.

21 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I didn't know that, I shoot mainly 1080 DNXHD 145 mbit 8bit with my Ninja and it must be about  60 GB per hour. I don't know if they have 1080p version of the raw, but it would be less than 8bit prores/dnxhd. I could be shooting RAW and save space, I am stunned. So what are the RAW bitrate in the C200.

Cinema Raw Light, which apparently results in a 12bit recording at a rate of about 1 Gbps, giving you about 15 minutes on a 128 GB Cfast 2.0 card.

So an hour takes a 512gb card. The new BM Raw can do an hour on a 128gb card.

51 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Here is some info from Canon's website. The C200 records in Canon RawLite format.

16 minutes ago, Lenscamera said:

Because it's licence free other manufacturers should be able to implement it on their current or future cameras? If it's licence free and open source so other NLE will be able to implement it, what does BM stand to gain? 

They will sell more BM cameras and more copies of BM Davinci Resolve.

So is this only available on the Ursa Pro right now? I’d love for the Mini 4K to get it, that camera is getting to no brainer price levels on the used market. 

1 hour ago, SR said:

12:1 compression

Looks great, thanks for finding it. Love the the thickness and detail on the older man’s face. 

11 minutes ago, Lenscamera said:

Yah, but if it will be able to be implement on different manufactures cameras and other NLEs, how's that going to help with that?

Well if you have followed Blackmagic from the start, Grant Petty the Founder of BMD, has always had a idea, a dream of giving the little guy the same opportunity as the big guys have. So I think in the long run money is not Blackmagic's top priority. Well they Have to make money, but not at the expense, pun, of ripping off people.

That is part of the reason very little that BM sells is Priority stuff like say Red does. Yo can use off the shelf stuff.

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’m not so sure it will be implemented in other manufacturer’s cameras. It seems the support and development kit is available for post software.

Well it is an open source code. So I would think Anyone Could use it if they wanted. I think as much as anything it is a stick in the eye of Apple to be honest.

And obliviously it benefits them, BMD, on their cameras, and Davinci Resolve which is a stick in the eye to Adobe..

34 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Cinema Raw Light, which apparently results in a 12bit recording at a rate of about 1 Gbps, giving you about 15 minutes on a 128 GB Cfast 2.0 card.

So an hour takes a 512gb card. The new BM Raw can do an hour on a 128gb card.

Exactly, it can record an hour plus... but you need pocket to support it's appetite for storage... And that storage had better be fast. I have had lesser "bargain" CFast card produce errors as they could not manage the data rate. There are SSD solutions for the C200 also. Granted, with the collection of CFast cards I acquired, I would have no difficulty feeding the P4k. I want to see the camera in the hands of independent reviewers. I'm going to get one... it's so cheap that it would be silly not to have one on hand. That said, I think many will get this camera, only to sell if shortly thereafter. It will not be for the casual shooter. Don't be fooled, in the right hands almost any of the usual suspect could produce amazing footage. 

This reminds me of something that happened to me when I was 4 years old. I was walking in London with my father. Then a short distance away something caught my attention. There in the hustle and bustle of down town London stood a man. Floating above him was a replica of an Airship. I marveled at the attention to detail. I was captivated by how realistic it looked. I begged my father to purchase one of the replicas that the man was selling. He looked at me and patted me on the head after paying the stranger and handing me a small envelope containing the wondrous replica. I recall pondering, how it was possible to fit such a magnificent model into such a small package?

Later that day we arrived safely back home. I was eager to open the package to see this incredible work of art. Upon opening the envelope my heart sank.... the package contained nothing more than a gray ballon. It looked nothing like the amazing model that the man was holding. I  sadly realized there was no way I would be able to make it look like the model the man had shown me. I learned something that day... And it has stuck with me ever since. I supposed what I'm saying is  that I believe some are really looking for Hollywood in a box... Any camera can produce compelling stories... but first you need a compelling story... and all the other element to tell it. The camera is only one part of the puzzle. 

Well @Oliver Daniel proved that with his Show Reel thread. Look at all the cameras he used. Most are cameras you can buy for peanuts right now. It is talent and skill more than camera for sure. I venture to say maybe the editing skills now might outweigh shooting skills in the mix of things with cameras as good as they are now.

15 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well it is an open source code. So I would think Anyone Could use it if they wanted. I think as much as anything it is a stick in the eye of Apple to be honest.

Grant said they have patents on it.

But that doesn't mean others can't use it.

Also, I don't think it's a middle finger to Apple. They work closely as proven by the now obsolete  BMD e CPU

6 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Grant said they have patents on it. But that doesn't mean others can't use it.

Also, I don't think it's a middle finger to Apple. They work closely as proven by the now obsolete  BMD e CPU

Oh I think it is. BMD I doubt Never has Any intention of using, ergo, paying for Raw Light to Apple. It was evident in the rollout of the PK4.  I think BM is even hinting in that new video of their Raw of getting rid of ProRes, another Apple money sink. Apple has just gotten Way to greedy as of late.

I have all kinds of Apple stuff, even their Stainless Steel Apple watch. But god damn they are a company you love and hate at the same time. Sort of like an EX LoL.