Camera "mojo" - where does it come from?

kye

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

The only thing I'll be doing "immediately" and with "brilliant logic" is completely disregarding this and any other orders you might feel like giving me altogether.

"You can" is not order - accept maybe in English contract law is written something else.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

In my experience, the most significant part of the mojo of most cameras still resides within the circuitry of whoever is operating it.

I've made enough bad images with good cameras to recognise it.

7 minutes ago, anonim said:

"You can" is not order - accept maybe in English contract law is written something else.

Prefix it with "Then"  and it will be interpreted as such but honestly I'm just not going to engage any more with this.

Its no coincidence that every thread that I open that you are involved in might as well start auto playing the theme tune from Rocky.

English may not be your first language but antagonism might well be.

8 minutes ago, sam said:

No.  good straight out of camera color yes.  but not mojo

Maybe, but @DaveAltizer just above suggest that, although mojo is subjective, it exists? He quoted 1DC, Fuji JPEGs, and the digital Bolex.

Does he reveal something different Ebrahim Sadaawi?

8 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its no coincidence that every thread that I open that you are involved in might as well start auto playing the theme tune from Rocky.

I agree... for every topic which involved very smart men who answer to simple human question quoting, with heart full of humor and enjoy, English contract law or pop-reincarnation - yes, chances are great that will be some antagonism.

Funny how this is a hot topic, with almost no information at all!

I put C100mkII and NX1 there, and just in memory of the camera that started it all, I will put the 5DmkII as well, but I had to use it a few times the last couple of years, and I hated the experience.

Mojo for me is not only the picture you take, but to feel confident while in hard working hours, and to feel that everything is right in place (I know a lot of people will spell simply "ergonomics", but it's not even that, it's the mojo on that!) and that you will do the job, whatever the circumstances and the difficulties. These cameras haven't failed me repeatedly, for many years now, and while I am working with a lot of brands and models per year, these are my workhorses, and favorite ones to work with.

3 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Mojo for me is...

I started to think that it is impossible to read something like this.

1 minute ago, Don Kotlos said:

For me mojo would mean...

... the same as above. I'm started to think that I'm as appropriate as ES in English contract low trying to ask or even beg for effort in, at least little bit closely, or more accurate, describing quality of image that somebody like.

6 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I will put the 5DmkII as well, but I had to use it a few times the last couple of years, and I hated the experience.

I'm confused here. So the 5D2 has mojo or not?

Also, you hated the 5D2 because of the ergonomics?

I feel that you will hate the 1DC for the same reason... almost same ergonomics as the 5D2.... no touch screen, no DPAF, everything is manual.

chefs table is beautiful!!  very nicely done.    The above list isn't my list of favorite cams, just those cams discussed in terms of having some sort of indefinable characteristic.  (sort of like the reputation vintage speakers or amps have for coloring sound) .  Red is maybe like the studio reference monitor, if that makes sense. 

okay....now we're redefining mojo?  ?

ease of operation, ergonomics, etc...?

some of us need to watch Austin Powers.

(for anonim:  Austin Powers = mojo)

1 minute ago, sam said:

...in terms of having some sort of indefinable characteristic.

I've tried in thread about GH5s to explain what I distinctly like in some footage of this camera and, I think, one picture from Canon by DaveAltizer. But my English is very awkward and I hardly could succeed.

What would be of great help to me, maybe to someone else also, and regarding terms such as "mojo" or "cinematic", is: if there is some unassailable agreement between really competent DP's about that what are (approximаtely) image qualities to search for in standard theater movie, it will be so nice to fixed them (approximаtely) in the words and show in paralel favorite examples.

What ratio of sharpness and smoothness prefer any of us? What level of contrast and why? What is pleasant degree of saturation? Etc. It will be so great, I think, not to hide our knowledge and taste behind in-general words/therms/phrases, and help each other with favorite results and comments of reasons for our individual estimating.

1 minute ago, anonim said:

I've tried in thread about GH5s to explain what I distinctly like in some footage of this camera and, I think, one picture from Canon by DaveAltizer. But my English is very awkward and I hardly could succeed.

What would be of great help to me, maybe to someone else also, and regarding terms such as "mojo" or "cinematic", is: if there is some unassailable agreement between really competent DP's about that what are (approximаtely) image qualities to search for in standard theater movie, it will be so nice to fixed them (approximаtely) in the words and show in paralel favorite examples.

What ratio of sharpness and smoothness prefer any of us? What level of contrast and why? What is pleasant degree of saturation? Etc. It will be so great, I think, not to hide our knowledge and taste behind in-general words/therms/phrases, and help each other with favorite results and comments of reasons for our individual estimating.

Alright, for me it's low rolling shutter (motion) combined with great color (which comes down to taste a lot of the time). Saturation depends on the camera and project. Really do not care that much about sharpness as long as it's above 1080p.

This is a fascinating conversation.

One of the most interesting bits was @jonpais mentioning Red - which I don't recall anyone mentioning as having mojo, however Chefs Table is absolutely gorgeous and definitely a stand-out production (visually and in potentially every other way).  This leads neatly into the idea that perhaps considering the wide DR and huge data files coming out of it that the magic was added in post?

In terms of some mojo coming from the operator - I too suffer from creating bad output from good cameras, but it can't be that all the people that bought a 1DC or BMPCC were good operators!