Jump to content

Sony a7 III discussion


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

I've had the 24-105 for almost 6 months. Where it is particularly good for video is that the 'OIS' of the lens works very well with IBIS for handheld (particularly useful at the long end.) For some reason ibis alone doesnt seem to work as well for video (with Sony). So that is a plus relative to the 24-70 GM (not that I have tried it) which doesnt have OIS. After getting the 24-105 I sold my 24-70 Zony f4 which doesnt really compare.

I'm actually selling my rarely used Sony 24-105 after deciding to invest in a C200. If you're in Europe/Germany give me a shout. It's a great lens, but I want to up my game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Don! It's an exciting time for Chris and I!

With all due respect, this is very wrong. The 400 f2.8 issue which you continue to reference and described as prattle earlier on was actually my prattle about the A9 rather than the A7 but I thou

Testing the A7iii in anamorphic setup in exterior condition, some quick run and gun test shoots but I m very happy with the result . A7iii ( full frame mode ) + Ninja V + Cinelux ES + Rectilux HC

Posted Images

17 hours ago, jonpais said:

@kye Max Yuryev just uploaded a video recommending the 24-105mm f/4 to those who can only afford one lens, and Chris Niccolls also speaks highly of it in his review of the Tamron 28-75mm. Ken Rockwell loves it too, calling it "the world's best midrange zoom" for its great optical performance, build quality, price, weather resistance, extra zoom range and optical stabilization. It's hard to argue with him, since his picture gallery shot with the lens is pretty spectacular, especially his aerial view from the Las Vegas Strip at sunset shot wide open. 

The review by Ken Rockwell is pretty amazing - he's not afraid to say what he thinks and doesn't pull punches but that is basically a rave review.  Any those images!!

What a spectacular looking lens ????

16 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I've had the 24-105 for almost 6 months. Where it is particularly good for video is that the 'OIS' of the lens works very well with IBIS for handheld (particularly useful at the long end.) For some reason ibis alone doesnt seem to work as well for video (with Sony). So that is a plus relative to the 24-70 GM (not that I have tried it) which doesnt have OIS. After getting the 24-105 I sold my 24-70 Zony f4 which doesnt really compare.

Thanks Robert - that's interesting feedback.  I've heard that IBIS and OIS (and gimbals) can sometimes work against each other so it seems like it's a bit of a mine-field in a way.

What camera body are you using?  Having a combination that works really well would be fantastic for me :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kye said:

The review by Ken Rockwell is pretty amazing - he's not afraid to say what he thinks and doesn't pull punches but that is basically a rave review.  Any those images!!

What a spectacular looking lens ????

 

 

Looks like Ken knows where the Saturation dial is on his Photo Editor!! ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Looks like Ken knows where the Saturation dial is on his Photo Editor!! ?

Actually, it's more likely to be the one in the camera...  if you compare the original images to his edited ones they're not much different!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2018 at 8:58 AM, kye said:

Thanks Robert - that's interesting feedback.  I've heard that IBIS and OIS (and gimbals) can sometimes work against each other so it seems like it's a bit of a mine-field in a way.

What camera body are you using?  Having a combination that works really well would be fantastic for me :)

I think it works a bit like Panasonic. IBIS alone is good (But Sony's is obviously not in the same league as Panasonic) but dual IS (ibis + ois) is better. It is certainly noticeable that my Batis 85 (with OIS) is better for video than the GM 85 hand held. I havent used it on a gimbal and the 24-105 is both reasonably heavy and front heavy. There is a button to switch off OIS on the lens.

I have a couple of A7riiis (just bought a second) because I like the high mp for stills. Little reason to justify it otherwise against the A7iii. I suspect that the 3 series models are all pretty similar for ibis and the like (and a good step up from the 2 series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

I love the look of this lens, gorgeous!

This was all handheld? If it is, then the IBIS is pretty damn good!

Yes, it’s handheld (before my first cup of the morning). I’d actually ordered the 55mm f/1.8 but couldn’t wait any longer and picked up the 50mm f/1.4 from another shop. It’s pretty gargantuan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonpais said:

A brief AF-C test with face detect.

 

Comment not about AF which I don't use but about comparison of your two system examples... maybe this one from some reason is not so representative, but for my eyes, sample shots with Veydra and Panasonic are very very noticeable richer/more precise in colors/texture rendition and far better in achieving real-life suggestion and presence... Panasonic/Veydra look almost palpable, this one I find directing little bit to  cartoonish (please take this word just as loose impression) side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, anonim said:

Comment not about AF which I don't use but about comparison of your two system examples... maybe this one from some reason is not so representative, but for my eyes, sample shots with Veydra and Panasonic are very very noticeable richer/more precise in colors/texture rendition and far better in achieving real-life suggestion and presence.

True enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kye said:

@jonpais cool video, with AF much improved!

Out of interest, you seem to film quite a bit in public and it looks like no one minds.  Is there a technique you use?  Do you ask permission beforehand?  Does no one really care?

Thanks, Kye. The AF is like magic coming from Panasonic all these years.

The first Sony lens I tried out in the shop, the 24-240mm, is insanely fast, accurate and silent, which is what made me decide to return the Sigma and stick with Sony/Zeiss. I'm not overly fond of zooms, so aside from the 16-35mm f/2.8, I got the 50mm f/1.4, the 35mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.8. I just hope the cat's eye bokeh of the 85mm doesn't drive me nuts. 

I've been doing this for years and nobody's ever said anything. They're probably just cursing me under their breath. :) 

I don't do anything special or ask for permission. If I did, they'd probably smile at the camera, which would ruin the shot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I've been doing this for years and nobody's ever said anything. They're probably just cursing me under their breath. :) 

I don't do anything special or ask for permission. If I did, they'd probably smile at the camera, which would ruin the shot. 

Hah, this is really impressive. I'm a sucker for getting nervous, or feeling overly intrusive when filming or photographing people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Hah, this is really impressive. I'm a sucker for getting nervous, or feeling overly intrusive when filming or photographing people. 

Me too.  I did street photography for a while as training for holiday snaps (as both are improvisational) but it's a lot of work to put yourself out there, especially when people hassle you in the street.

"You can't take my photo - I know my rights!"

"Isn't that a security camera in that shop over there pointing at the street?"

"uh, I guess"

"It's taking photos constantly, all the shops have them.  If it was illegal then all those shop owners would go to jail"

"Uh, errr,...     you can't take my photo - I know my rights!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick update on my experience with the sigma mc-11. Some of the lenses I only had a few minutes to try

Yongnuo 35mm f2: Doesn't autofocus at all. That 35mm f2 look is awesome though. 

Canon 50mm f1.8 stm: AF-S works well. Didn't have enough time to compare it against the Sony 50mm f1.8 Fe. The size of the adapter and lens is just slightly bigger than the Sony lens. 

Sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4: I've been using the Nikon mount version of this lens for a couple years on Nikon, panasonic, canon and now Sony cameras.  One of my faves. The canon mount version on the sigma mc-11 does seem to attempt to autofocus but there's a big problem - the aperture stays locked at the smallest opening. Not sure if it was a fault of the particular lens. 

Canon 24-85mm f3.5-4.5: af-s and c works well in stills. Continuous doesn't work in video. The focus ring is not smooth and has some play, making manual focus quite difficult. Other than that, it's a great lens with plenty of character (flaring, slight distortion, slight chromatic aberration). I'm not sure if I'm keeping it yet because of the manual focus problems. It would be perfect otherwise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...