Jump to content
Mark Romero 2

Key Light (Bowens Mount) Less Expensive Than Apurture?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any experiences with the Godox SL and SLB lights? I have seen some reviews, that (same) lights do not match well together.

These are the ones I can find in my country that most interest me.

@Teemu Great job! Music and video was a bit like Tool !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/1/2018 at 9:32 AM, scotchtape said:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?353611-Mini-review-Godox-SL-60W-and-SL-200W-(kind-of-compared-to-Nanguang-CN-30F)

Has specific fans I used.

 

If you don't need the firepower but only need soft light, 2x FL-3060 gets you about 3,000lux @ 1M when using diffuser panels and are about $300, but much lighter and smaller.  Only draws 100W.  Benefit is it's also bicolor and can be battery powered with additional adapters ($50) or DIY.

I have the 150w how difficult is it to install the fans? Is it simply remove some screws and connect a adapter cable? Do you have photos of how to disassemble and install fan without breaking light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not contributing much to the conversation, but I also wanted the Aputure lights, but not only were they expensive, they also required soft boxes, AC power and turned out to be far more output than I needed, even with the GH5. So I ended up getting some Chinese LED lights similar to the Fotodiox Flapjacks, which not only accomodate batteries, but are much less expensive, softer, run silently and cooler, require virtually no setup and are ridiculously portable. I haven’t looked back since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jonpais said:

Probably not contributing much to the conversation, but I also wanted the Aputure lights, but not only were they expensive, they also required soft boxes, AC power and turned out to be far more output than I needed, even with the GH5. So I ended up getting some Chinese LED lights similar to the Fotodiox Flapjacks, which not only accomodate batteries, but are much less expensive, softer, run silently and cooler, require virtually no setup and are ridiculously portable. I haven’t looked back since.

Thanks for the input.

I was looking for something that would work with softboxes / bowens mount modifiers since I mostly shoot stills and have a bunch of strobes with Bowens mount.

Right now I just have a couple of Yongnuo LEDs (two 600 panels and a smaller accent light). They seem to be ok. I figured getting a light which can take a softbox would save me the hassle of bringing along an extra light stand and boom arm to hang a scrim in front of the LED panels.

On the other hand, I think I can mount the panels on to some heavy duty umbrella holders so that I can use them with some umbrellas instead of having to hang a scrim from a separate stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2018 at 4:55 AM, jonpais said:

Probably not contributing much to the conversation, but I also wanted the Aputure lights, but not only were they expensive, they also required soft boxes, AC power and turned out to be far more output than I needed, even with the GH5. So I ended up getting some Chinese LED lights similar to the Fotodiox Flapjacks, which not only accomodate batteries, but are much less expensive, softer, run silently and cooler, require virtually no setup and are ridiculously portable. I haven’t looked back since.

Jon, thanks for mentioning these. I’ve spent so many years in search of cameras and lenses, in the near future I’m going to shift my focus and wallet towards lighting and audio.

Although the Fotodiox versions are a little pricey (did they invent flapjacks?) they seem so well built and get really good reviews.

I think I’m going to pick up the 5x8 or 7” on camera light in the coming months and if I’m as pleased with it as I suspect I’ll be, I may pick up one or two of the studio lights next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mercer said:

Jon, thanks for mentioning these. I’ve spent so many years in search of cameras and lenses, in the near future I’m going to shift my focus and wallet towards lighting and audio.

Get yourself a F8n with a Sanken CS3e and Schoeps CMC6/mk41! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

I only understood 6 words in that sentence... lol.

Ha! I actually went and counted up which are the six words to check if it is six, not five or seven.

 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

What’s the street value of all that ear porn?

Here you go:

US$1,450 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/406096-REG/Sanken_CS_3E_CS_3E_Short_Shotgun_Microphone.html

US$1K https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1411499-REG/zoom_zf8n_zoom_f8n_multi_track_recorder.html (crazy cheap! I'm using it on tomorrow's shoot, only a few years ago I'd have needed a Sound Devices 688 instead which costs $6K!)

US$1,655 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/377424-REG/Schoeps_CMC641_SET_Colette_Series_Microphone_Set.html

I own the first two, but not the Scheops, I own instead 2x AKG C460B/CK63 (and a CK61 capsule as well, plus heaps and heaps more mics: Audix SX-HC1 / AKG C393 / Oktava / etc). B&H doesn't sell it now, but basically I own two of these (so around US$1K each):

https://web.archive.org/web/20150729001911/https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/350573-REG/AKG_C480BCK63_Ultra_Linear.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just got myself a JINBEI EFII-60 from Ali which costs as much as Godox sl60w around 160$, has same 60w power output.. but lighter, quieter and does.. 11000 lux at 1 meter vs 4100 on Godox. And it works from Sony NP-F batteries out of the box ? Waiting for my softbox to arrive to conduct some actual tests. They have 100, 150, 200 watt models as well but they dont support np-f batteries.

Seems like a new value king for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Godox SL-150 light. Great light output (f/5.6-8 on my S1H at ISO-400 for a two up shot with a 3x3 thick film diffusion at 100%), Bowens mount and is excellent for music videos, but It's louder than the fan on my Ninja V and S1H combined and then tripled! 

Listen, you cannot use this for most indie film or ANY interview style production because the light is just too fucking loud!!! I ran this for an interview in a double baffled softbox around 4 feet from the subject. The subject had a wireless lav on, and it sounds like a hair drier is running the whole interview!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 6:25 PM, Amazeballs said:

I've just got myself a JINBEI EFII-60 from Ali which costs as much as Godox sl60w around 160$, has same 60w power output.. but lighter, quieter and does.. 11000 lux at 1 meter vs 4100 on Godox. And it works from Sony NP-F batteries out of the box ? Waiting for my softbox to arrive to conduct some actual tests. They have 100, 150, 200 watt models as well but they dont support np-f batteries.

Seems like a new value king for me.

Please, keep us updated!

I can't find any reliable opinion about this light, but have to admit it seems like a great choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, heart0less said:

Please, keep us updated!

I can't find any reliable opinion about this light, but have to admit it seems like a great choice.

Yeah, especially the ability to use NPF battery is a huge bonus vs sl60W which is wall plug only..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah, especially the ability to use NPF battery is a huge bonus vs sl60W which is wall plug only..

There is SLB-60W that uses Li-On battery, but:
- it costs 299$,
- the battery itself (if you wanted to have some spares) costs 159 freaking US dollars,
- it lasts for ~60 minutes.

Whereas NP-F batteries can power almost anything (external monitors - check, small LED panels - check, some extra juice for your camera - check) and are easy to obtain (I bet most people in the industry have at least a few NP-Fs in their storage).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, heart0less said:

There is SLB-60W that uses Li-On battery, but:
- it costs 299$,
- the battery itself (if you wanted to have some spares) costs 159 freaking US dollars,
- it lasts for ~60 minutes.

Whereas NP-F batteries can power almost anything (external monitors - check, small LED panels - check, some extra juice for your camera - check) and are easy to obtain (I bet most people in the industry have at least a few NP-Fs in their storage).

And it cost another $100 just for the power adapter if you decide to use main power.. which is almost the same price as SL-60W, that is pretty dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

I have a Godox SL-150 light. Great light output (f/5.6-8 on my S1H at ISO-400 for a two up shot with a 3x3 thick film diffusion at 100%), Bowens mount and is excellent for music videos, but It's louder than the fan on my Ninja V and S1H combined and then tripled! 

Listen, you cannot use this for most indie film or ANY interview style production because the light is just too fucking loud!!! I ran this for an interview in a double baffled softbox around 4 feet from the subject. The subject had a wireless lav on, and it sounds like a hair drier is running the whole interview!

Thanks for the feecback on this light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, Amazeballs said:

I've just got myself a JINBEI EFII-60 from Ali which costs as much as Godox sl60w around 160$, has same 60w power output.. but lighter, quieter and does.. 11000 lux at 1 meter vs 4100 on Godox. And it works from Sony NP-F batteries out of the box ? Waiting for my softbox to arrive to conduct some actual tests. They have 100, 150, 200 watt models as well but they dont support np-f batteries.

Seems like a new value king for me.

Curious about the noise level with this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wronzoff said:

Curious about the noise level with this one.

Here you go. How is it compared to Godox and Aputure? The light was at 100% power.

ZOOM0044_TrLR.WAV

Another nice thing about Jinbei is that they send it to you via DHL in 5-7 days and its free. So no need to wait for 1 month as usual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been really getting into CLAR brand lights from adorama. CLAR seems to be a house brand they're using to sell various Chinese lighting products.

They have the Ilumi Max 120 and 300, which I've gotten one of each.

The 120 is bicolor and my 300 is 5600k Daylight balanced.

The 300 has a pretty big power brick/ballast with fans and stuff, but the output is incredible.

The 120 seems great too.

I haven't put these through long term tests, more just unboxing and initial impressions, but they're absolutely awesome.

For the price of an aperture 300d mkII, I've gotten the 120, the 300, a 31" china ball bowens modifier, a 38" parabolic bowens softbox, and a fresnel lens attachment. 

The softboxes both seem awesome and are both easy set up models. The fresnel lens I'm not sure of. It's not a glass fresnel lens up front, but the Lenticular Lens that is there is nice and the unit is pretty good, especially for the price.

The fresnel is an area I may buy the aperture brand modifier, but I'm very very happy with everything else I've bought from them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, homestar_kevin said:

I've been really getting into CLAR brand lights from adorama. CLAR seems to be a house brand they're using to sell various Chinese lighting products.

They have the Ilumi Max 120 and 300, which I've gotten one of each.

The 120 is bicolor and my 300 is 5600k Daylight balanced.

The 300 has a pretty big power brick/ballast with fans and stuff, but the output is incredible.

The 120 seems great too.

I haven't put these through long term tests, more just unboxing and initial impressions, but they're absolutely awesome.

For the price of an aperture 300d mkII, I've gotten the 120, the 300, a 31" china ball bowens modifier, a 38" parabolic bowens softbox, and a fresnel lens attachment. 

The softboxes both seem awesome and are both easy set up models. The fresnel lens I'm not sure of. It's not a glass fresnel lens up front, but the Lenticular Lens that is there is nice and the unit is pretty good, especially for the price.

The fresnel is an area I may buy the aperture brand modifier, but I'm very very happy with everything else I've bought from them. 

This brand looks very interesting. Though from reviews it seems the 300 light is closer to a aperture 120d rather than the 300

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...