Jump to content
Sage

GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Found this on YouTube, nice to hear the voice of the project. 

@Sage, I will admittedly say that since using GHa, I’ve ditched every other LUT I’ve bought and stopped using those made by myself. 

The conversion turns the GH5 into almost a different camera, it’s just simply beautiful work. 

The EVA1 and GH5S is on the way to cement my Panasonic production trio. Worth trying the conversion on these too, and sharing the results? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

 

@Sage, I will admittedly say that since using GHa, I’ve ditched every other LUT I’ve bought and stopped using those made by myself. 

The conversion turns the GH5 into almost a different camera, it’s just simply beautiful work. 

The EVA1 and GH5S is on the way to cement my Panasonic production trio. Worth trying the conversion on these too, and sharing the results? 

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

With the 'Definitive Update', it has finally arrived, so to speak, and its been an honor.

Feel free to do that - I'm always asked how it looks on EVA and the S, and they're a black box to me (though the S is fairly close)

The Intro video is still at V1 😮 V3 is so much better than V1, and V2, that it decidedly needs an update (now that I can take a breather from the technical)

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah that is super good!

Right on!

@katlis Any chance for a V3 version? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Oliver Daniel Thanks Oliver. Looking at his previous posts, I think he might be referring to luts for LogC, and was confused about what you meant

I hope people will find it worth it, and consider my own personal investment to get it to where it is today. I believe in doing free updates and personal service because I want people to have the best, and to do right by the people who put their faith in me (no matter what or how long it takes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sage said:

@Oliver Daniel Thanks Oliver. Looking at his previous posts, I think he might be referring to luts for LogC, and was confused about what you meant

I hope people will find it worth it, and consider my own personal investment to get it to where it is today. I believe in doing free updates and personal service because I want people to have the best, and to do right by the people who put their faith in me (no matter what or how long it takes)

Yes, a little bit of confuse 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, katlis said:

@Sage Re-graded with V3! I decided to try out Linear (GHa3-L 😁), and tweaked the luma to compliment. Otherwise, the rest of my same grade from the 1st video is on top of GHa. I like the added contrast in this version!

 

Thank you Katlis, there are some simply incredible shots in there. For dramatic works on projection I love the 'Sicario ceiling' of Main and Soft:

9.thumb.jpg.c13f35906eaf335cb56a0d8853c83403.jpg

Now, 'Tree of Life' really is an incredible testament to 90s IRE sun highlights (though, they had film):

10.thumb.jpg.2fc7c2b9d94ae10c234bd65e3199f0dd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sage said:

For dramatic works on projection I love the 'Sicario ceiling' of Main and Soft:

I agree, while I've been getting acclimated with grading GH5 footage and following your advice I've always kept it under 75. Loving the results. Now I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and experiment with new looks, so adding this Linear option to V3 is a nice push. :) Hoping to shoot my first real dramatic short next month. From the grade I'm imagining in my head, I'll probably stick with <75, but either way I'll be using GHa!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sage said:

Now, 'Tree of Life' really is an incredible testament to 90s IRE sun highlights (though, they had film):

Yeah, i like the lower highlights but film, back in the day, when processed had a very bright punch and higher ceiling. Love that punch with film, which with this LogC conversion is more achievable. 

Different looks from different eras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

@Sage i wanna tell you, if next year everything goes great, i'm gonna be shooting my next feature and i'm really considering using the Gh5 with your lut, a really portable and cheap Alexa!

Likewise - and when it comes time to shoot, it'll be the GH5 (and P4K @Téodor Spencer) for me. Your feature will be amazing, I have no doubt.

16 minutes ago, katlis said:

I agree, while I've been getting acclimated with grading GH5 footage and following your advice I've always kept it under 75. Loving the results. Now I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and experiment with new looks, so adding this Linear option to V3 is a nice push. :) Hoping to shoot my first real dramatic short next month. From the grade I'm imagining in my head, I'll probably stick with <75, but either way I'll be using GHa!

Ah, I can't wait to see it! Yea Linear adds that bit of flexibility, which I think was a needed option.

I'll be shooting trees in the sun today, just for fun lol (first chance to breathe)

5 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

Yeah, i like the lower highlights but film, back in the day, when processed had a very bright punch and higher ceiling. Love that punch with film, which with this LogC conversion is more achievable. 

Different looks from different eras.

Indeed, that is that the higher ceiling really 'clicks' with film, I think due to the nature of the color sci, and the halation. Whereas the Sicario ceiling plays to the GH5's strengths, so to speak (btw, try linear ;) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sage said:

Likewise - and when it comes time to shoot, it'll be the GH5 (and P4K @Téodor Spencer) for me. Your feature will be amazing, I have no doubt.

Ah, I can't wait to see it! Yea Linear adds that bit of flexibility, which I think was a needed option.

I'll be shooting trees in the sun today, just for fun lol (first chance to breathe)

Indeed, that is that the higher ceiling really 'clicks' with film, I think due to the nature of the color sci, and the halation. Whereas the Sicario ceiling plays to the GH5's strengths, so to speak (btw, try linear ;) )

What are you referring to about keeping under 75 and about the Sicario ceiling?

But I agree with the better contrast in the V3 lut looks much better :). I always add contrast when I use the previous version of the GHa lut. Glad to see it's already added :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TurboRat said:

What are you referring to about keeping under 75 and about the Sicario ceiling?

But I agree with the better contrast in the V3 lut looks much better :). I always add contrast when I use the previous version of the GHa lut. Glad to see it's already added :)

The new 'in Post: Cinematic Luminance' section on page 2 of the new PDF is critical, in addition to the new supplemental waveforms

Essentially, the top third of the waveform is where extreme highlights place when conforming to cinema standard luminance. The GH5 is missing the three stops on top, and EC Main/Soft really encourage correct placement of luma for the cinema when exposing for them (moderately), and have beautiful handling of harsh skin detail

843543523_0-WaveformGuide.thumb.jpg.6d6cd7e80b77d949fd75badbc6428a49.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some screen grabs from a music video teaser I'm making. Shot with GH5, old ENG lens, and the Atomos NInja V in ProRes 422 with the Tungsten LogC LUT baked into the footage. It gave me a really good starting point to add different LUT's and start grading. Also added the 4:3 border and film grain.

 

vlcsnap-2018-10-26-12h45m41s223.thumb.png.70bdf8ee2d154522a37338c80fb8c94c.pngvlcsnap-2018-10-26-12h45m15s58.thumb.png.d5439ed3650ca593dc2c5c2f0722d57c.pngvlcsnap-2018-10-26-12h44m26s187.thumb.png.aad9131c10caf457b0576732bdf606bd.pngvlcsnap-2018-10-26-12h44m03s139.thumb.png.8dea465142bc2e7936d068b210784069.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ryley K said:

Some screen grabs from a music video teaser I'm making. Shot with GH5, old ENG lens, and the Atomos NInja V in ProRes 422 with the Tungsten LogC LUT baked into the footage. It gave me a really good starting point to add different LUT's and start grading. Also added the 4:3 border and film grain.

I love the cinematic grime you've got going on there. I really want to do something like that (styled like 'Black Swan')

If I may, I'd actually like to recommend avoiding baking in, especially in mixed lighting scenarios. The reason for this is because dialing in the WB correction ahead of the conversion can be a bit of a fiddly thing in these situations, and there is a lot less stress to get the WB perfect in cam (even under halogen)

A side note - the lut on top is causing 'hyper-saturation' in the reds. The EC variations (Main/Soft/Linear) won't do this. Especially now with V3, they are generally the way to go, as they provide the color back-end that is the hallmark of post houses like Technicolor and FotoKem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 2:18 AM, katlis said:

I'm limited in resolution with the free version of Resolve, but I may just have to make the switch and get the full version!

I'd highly recommend it.

If nothing else, the ability to do localised adjustments as well as global adjustments is completely night and day with what results you can achieve.  The free version of Resolve is like Photoshop without layers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...