Jump to content
Eduardo Granadsztejn

Canon 6d mark 2 it´s official

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

We've waited 5 years and have got...

Swivel screen

Dual Pixel AF

....

....

Probably no moire fix.

Erm, that's it!

It will take pretty pictures, but....

How relevant will this camera be by 2022? 

I like Canon products and their lovely colours, and this has NEVER been said,but I find them extremely frustrating at the same time. ;)

They purposefully leave stuff out like it's funny or something. 

No CLOG n the 1DX II, but it's in the 5D IV. 

Hilarious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could go on about how Canon base their decisions on what actually sells, what makes money and what still shooters actually want, what the 6Di was all about in the first place... but there is no point.

I might go bash a Sony thread about not being a DSLR or Instant film camera instead. Makes about as much sense ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photography has got to move forward.

We have been using the same shit for decades.

Mirrorless is a step in the right direction of course.

Samsung tried a very brave thing with a huge touch screen on the Galaxy NX, the only Android based Super 35mm interchangeable lens camera on the planet and customers didn't buy it.

So perhaps Canon's customers are to blame for Canon.

If all they want in 10 years of technological innovation is the addition of a swivel screen, then so be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

If all they want in 10 years of technological innovation is the addition of a swivel screen, then so be it.

I understand what you mean, your point and why you are upset. But to many still photographers the above line simply isn't true.

What they got is,

  • New 26.2-megapixel CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC 7 image processor
  • ISO 40,000 from 32,000
  • Dual Pixel autofocusing system
  • 45 cross-type autofocus points at its disposal, a step up from the 6D’s paltry 11.
  • 6.5 frames per second, but there’s a short runway there: the maximum burst is 21 frames for RAW photos, and 150 for JPEGs.
  • Touchscreen
  • Swivel
  • Weather resistant
  • Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth, and GPS radios.
  • And Canon’s done all this while only adding a few grams to the original weight of the 6D.

I can name 5 pro photographers just among my closest friends that would choose a simple thing as weather sealing over 4K any day of the week.
This isn't the next video marvel. It never was. It never wanted to.
The 6D wasn't anything to write home about regarding video, so why would this?
Its like being upset about the lack of video features in a X100f or Leica M9.
Its not supposed to have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The apathy is astounding out there... We even have Anthony Dod Mantle shooting an Oliver Stone docu with moire and aliasing 1080p on a 5D Mark II in 2017, broadcast on Sky Atlantic as if quality doesn't matter.

FFS.

Either it's an artistic choice to be this shit or it is just fucking laziness.

I am sure the 6D II will turn up on our screens in some form or another for years to come, condemning us to the same eye sores.

----

Those specs for stills are great, no denying that.

But this camera is sold to the same people (enthusiasts) who are all excited about 4K this and 4K that.

They have 4K on YouTube, 4K TVs, 5K retina displays on their iMac... You name it, they've got it.

And Canon have unnecessarily sullied the brand by creating a perception of being behind in terms of the specs.

If people didn't care about specs, Sony's sales wouldn't be so good.

A lot of photographers may not care about video but you could equally turn that statement around and say a LOT DO, especially if their clients are now asking for 4K video.

So they can buy a Cinema EOS camera and a lot of pros do.... but again you can turn that statement around, especially here, because we are talking about the enthusiast market where $2000 is a stretch and $8000 for a C200 is completely fucking out of the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well aren't still photographers more interested in burst speed, focus speed, weather sealing, articulated screen and ISO performance, etc...? 

The 6D Mark ii is a big improvement over the 6D with lots of upgrades just not for video. Of course I think it's ridiculous that in 2017 Canon is releasing a $2000 camera body that doesn't have 4K, but shrug... that's Canon.

In a lot of ways it really pisses me off because after using the 5D3 for the past two months, and witnessing the build quality and design of the controls, I was really hoping the 6D was going to be the 4K camera I am looking for... unfortunately it will not be.

Hopefully, the rumored FF mirrorless will be released by year's end and it will be priced for less than the 5D4.

 If not, I am going to just save up for  a 1DC because in all honesty, I have not seen a more cinematic 4K image from any other manufacturer that looks as good. However, I am interested to see if the 5D4 has the same mojo as the 1DC once it gets Canon LOG, because I would love DPAF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure all those things are important for photographers.

And the 6D Mark II is nice ergonomically.

But there's no getting away from the fact that the 6D came out in 2012, the 6D 2 in 2017, and in between 5 years passed, Canon added Dual Pixel AF, which they have had lying around in the cupboard since 2013 with the 70D, a tilt screen, which the original 6D should have had in the first place, but they said "nah" it wouldn't be possible due to weather sealing, so now they have it on there with weather sealing anyway, so chalk that down to another fib, and as for the improvement in low light, you expect that as a given after 5 years of sensor development, it's probably not really very different from a Nikon D750 and I am sure 5D Mark IV owners are really over the moon about having worse low light performance than the 6D Mark II and no articulated screen for their extra $1500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I understand what you mean, your point and why you are upset. But to many still photographers the above line simply isn't true.

What they got is,

  • New 26.2-megapixel CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC 7 image processor
  • ISO 40,000 from 32,000
  • Dual Pixel autofocusing system
  • 45 cross-type autofocus points at its disposal, a step up from the 6D’s paltry 11.
  • 6.5 frames per second, but there’s a short runway there: the maximum burst is 21 frames for RAW photos, and 150 for JPEGs.
  • Touchscreen
  • Swivel
  • Weather resistant
  • Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth, and GPS radios.
  • And Canon’s done all this while only adding a few grams to the original weight of the 6D.

I can name 5 pro photographers just among my closest friends that would choose a simple thing as weather sealing over 4K any day of the week.
This isn't the next video marvel. It never was. It never wanted to.
The 6D wasn't anything to write home about regarding video, so why would this?
Its like being upset about the lack of video features in a X100f or Leica M9.
Its not supposed to have that.

 

My wife started photography 6 months ago on a 700d and a "nifty 50" - she's absolutely smashing it and has the 6d II on her shopping list. 

I think a lot of people get upset about Canon because we all love the quality of their products and the images they are capable of producing, but for some business reason, they won't give video shooters what they want. 

I love the video images coming out the 1DX II. It is a sports journalists camera, however the omission of CLOG is rather ignorant, since the inferior 5D IV gets it. 

Even the Cinema EOS line is riddled with frustrating choices, such as no 4k 60p in the C300 II and a pretty bad 120fps mode. 

That's not saying Canon don't know what they're doing, or make bad products... if they just gave a teeny weeny bit more on their releases, the competition would barely stand a chance right across the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

Great....

 

^ I love how this never gets old.

As for Canon, sure there will be a rational, clinical, business explanation for their choices. I also believe that the negative vibes people get from them are going to hurt them in the longer run.

No fullframe 4k option without crop, no 4k over hdmi on the 5d4, no 4k on the 6d2, no c-log on flagship 1dxii, no basic video functions as peaking, 45 AF points on the 6d2 but all in the center, no middle codec on the c200, only 9 AF points on the 200d... All this considering Canon pricing. And that it is 2017.

It just feels like pure calculation and/or cynicism. I don't like that. Now why would you make potential customers feel this way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not all about 4K @Andrew Reid. The sad aspect is, Canon doesn't even want buyers to get an acceptable/clean 1080p in 2017. Instead of this, the mushy 720p again and again.

Quote

5D Mark IV owners are really over the moon about having worse low light performance than the 6D Mark II and no articulated screen for their extra $1500.

The 5d m4 is the most overrated AND overprized Canon - even the 1DX II might be expensive, but it''s not overprized. The 6D is - from photographic point of view - a real bargain, even nowadays. I think, this will be similar to the 6D II, it will turn out as a great photographic offer at FF level.

I (my whole family) leaved Canon last year, selling dozens of lenses and cameras, keeping only 12 Canon lenses. I've separated photography from film/video, now heavily buying in the Nikon ecosystem for photography. Never looked back, Canon became for me completely irrelevant at the moment (for stills). In film/video cameras, I will consider their offers for sure (C200).

I know, Canon is (for volume) the #1 camera manufacturer in the world and it will consistently rank quite well, even if people like me jump on the Nikon ship. My gear is probably next to nothing in Canons arrogant eyes, but at the end of the day, it will be about 30.000 till end of this year. Plus the fact, we always serviced our gear very regurarly and invested a nice amount of money at this level. Now it's NPS making the business.

I loved their ergonomics, built quality, reliability and service. Nearly perfect - not the Sony E-Mount plastic garbage (excepting A9). BUT...dealing with a ultraconservative brigade with a post WW 2 attitude, is not funny or inspiring. And I didn't even ask for 4K, but only for a contemporary, clean 1080p...It's a shame, but hey, that's life...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Samsung tried a very brave thing with a huge touch screen on the Galaxy NX, the only Android based Super 35mm interchangeable lens camera on the planet and customers didn't buy it.

So perhaps Canon's customers are to blame for Canon.

If all they want in 10 years of technological innovation is the addition of a swivel screen, then so be it.

 

You are true. The thing is that if you look at 100 random photographers, the majority of them are not geeks. They are the contrary of geeks most of the time. Artistic people, anti technology guys and so on. That is why they buy Canon and not an NX with Android. 

Just look at your forum, I commented a topic the other day where everyone was saying how 8K is pointless and wont ever be needed. I was commenting how much we heard that for 4K before and for high mega pixels stills camera. 
And guess what, those same people on the forum are probably the most geek video/photographers out there. That says a lot....


Because of the type of people that are in video and photography today, companies like Canon serving the same old tech for years while every other single electronic product is more advanced for a tenth of the price are doing so because this is what customers want. Because those customers are anti tech guys. 

And that kills it for the few like me, who are geeks and want the latest tech while still being into photo and video from an artistic point of view. 

Damn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there is one thread bashing pro video cameras and celebrating David Lynch.

And one where we bash the use of a 5D because of moire...

Im confused.

And to be honest, I love cheap cameras and being creative with lowend gear. For sure..

..But every time Michael Mann cuts from the film camera to some DV-cam in Public Enemies it totally rips me out of the story and makes me very aware that Im watching something fake. 

He loved it and said it made the movie better.. imo it made it suck ass.

There are times when the creativity of a DSLR can help you. And times when you should go all in.

A good story can handle a little moire (Hurt Locker slowmo scenes) and a weak story (Public Enemies) need all the help it can get.

Imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a nice competent stills camera for its target market and many of those will be happy with the video it does have.

That it isn't a camera for this forum is fine and the issue with Canon to me is that they don't target video (4k in particular now) in any "affordable" cameras (IE not in cameras below what will be semi pro or higher for most people).

This camera is Canon's A7ii and that isn't a camera for this forum really is it?  (I am sure many will use it but with Sony there are other choices and pretty much everything now has 4k and other video specs).

As a stills camera it looks like a nice lower level FF camera and I think it will get a lot of sales from those who still love mirrors.      It will sell very well and be used by wedding photographers who want FF but can not quite reach a 5D4 or as a back up for many pros.

Not for me and I think that a 1/4000 max shutter speed in a camera at this level still is a bit odd and the same with the flash sync of 1/180 (even the little SL2 has 1/200!).

All in all a nice stills camera but only a bit relevant for video and nothing for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, noone said:

Seems like a nice competent stills camera for its target market and many of those will be happy with the video it does have.

That it isn't a camera for this forum is fine and the issue with Canon to me is that they don't target video (4k in particular now) in any "affordable" cameras (IE not in cameras below what will be semi pro or higher for most people).

This camera is Canon's A7ii and that isn't a camera for this forum really is it?  (I am sure many will use it but with Sony there are other choices and pretty much everything now has 4k and other video specs).

As a stills camera it looks like a nice lower level FF camera and I think it will get a lot of sales from those who still love mirrors.      It will sell very well and be used by wedding photographers who want FF but can not quite reach a 5D4 or as a back up for many pros.

Not for me and I think that a 1/4000 max shutter speed in a camera at this level still is a bit odd and the same with the flash sync of 1/180 (even the little SL2 has 1/200!).

All in all a nice stills camera but only a bit relevant for video and nothing for me.

 

Haha, I was thinking about buying an A7ii. I am so yesterday with this stuff. I am holding out for the Canon FF mirrorless but may buy a D7500 in the fall for the right price as an interim. If the FF Canon mirrorless doesn't occur or isn't up to spec, I will probably sell the D7500 and put that money go back in time again and buy a 1DC. By next spring, they should be selling for around $2500 on the used market. And to be honest, 4 years later I don't think there's a better 4K image in that price range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...