Jump to content
deezid

Actually you can make the GH5 look very cinematic!

Recommended Posts

@BTM_Pix good idea using the expodisc to set exposure. I never thought of using it like that ! hmmm I wonder if we can use the expodisc to create different noise profiles at diff iso's for use with neat video noise reduction software

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@mercer @Bioskop.Inc 

Mercer, you're right about my using lenses with clicked aperture rings affecting the results, so I'm going to do a hundred more tests with my declicked Voigtlander and post them here - not! 🙂 I already confessed to maybe shooting a version of ETTR Lite. Also, as Orangenz points out, and which is plainly visible in the few non-scientific tests I did, a normal or correct exposure looks pretty damn good if you don't want to mess around pulling luminance down and having to do a lot of color correction in post. I already admitted to being a little gungho about ETTR since learning about it a couple months ago. My main takeaway is still that everyone should test for themselves and find out what works best for their style of shooting and their particular camera. 

Bioskop, Inc - I don't think anyone should dogmatically (is that the right word?) follow any one system, you've still got to be guided by your own judgement and experience. When shooting using the ETTR method, I bring zebras down until they disappear from the important highlights in the image - often, this may be no more than 1/3 stop extra exposure for the way I shoot, nothing drastic. None of my shots look as bright as the example shared by @Fredrik Lyhne from Noam Kroll's website. Much of the time the histogram is not even weighted to the right. But unless I'm shooting in a very dark environment, my waveform monitor is no longer bunched up below 25 IRE like it used to be, and I believe I see a noticeable improvement in noise. And although I've never shot RAW, I'm certain the greater the dynamic range, the greater the benefits will be, and for that reason, I don't think I would recommend shooting ETTR when using the Standard or Natural profiles with Lumix cameras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2017 at 5:52 PM, mercer said:

But has anybody watched this season of Fargo? The last couple episodes they did a beautifully desaturated look in the exteriors. I swear it was almost black and white but with color skin tones. It looked so cool.

I remember a scene, I think where Emmit Stussy goes back to his wife and is walking through the neighborhood where it is really apparent too. I love Fargo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, graphicnatured said:

I remember a scene, I think where Emmit Stussy goes back to his wife and is walking through the neighborhood where it is really apparent too. I love Fargo.

Yeah this season was great. I liked the episode where the prison transport bus crashed and they ended up in the bowling alley. Ray Wise was so great and unexplainable in this season. The nighttime woods scene looked great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

I use this:

NICalibrationTarget1600color.png

Hmm how would I use this with my cam ? I want to experiment with this asap. It would be amazing if someone made some noise profiles for the gh4,g80 and gh5. That would help bring us even closer to developing clean cinematic images with the GH series of cameras 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just white balance the camera to your monitor's white, load up the image above on your monitor and defocus slightly. Frame the shot so the chart is 50% of the image area (avoids vignetting). Start at base ISO, and expose so that the black square is near black on the histogram. Go to the next ISO setting, adjust exposure accordingly, repeat, etc..

Then use these clips to build a noise profile for each ISO setting and save it permanently.

This will give you a decent noise profile to use in the future where you there may not be anything uniform in frame for a given shot, or where you forgot to shoot a chart.

4 hours ago, hempo22 said:

I'm wondering too how to use that to create noise profiles. What advantages does it have over a regular color chart (which I've used on every camera)?

I don't know if it's actually better than a chart or not. But it's free! I guess the guys at Neat Video picked those magenta and green squares for a reason.

In my experience the ultimate way to use Neat Video to kill noise in low light situations is to hold a ColorChecker or similar in front of the lens at the beginning or end of each shot / lighting situation / change of camera settings. But it's not always entirely practical to do that.. or I forget!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2017 at 10:29 PM, mercer said:

Yeah this season was great. I liked the episode where the prison transport bus crashed and they ended up in the bowling alley. Ray Wise was so great and unexplainable in this season. The nighttime woods scene looked great. 

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:54 AM, Bioskop.Inc said:

Amazon & Netfilx are really shaping up to producing some great content - watched OJKA last night & it was amazing (on Netflix now!).

Some folks lament you can't use an ARRI Alexa on Netflix because of the 4K requirement. OKJA used the Alexa 65 as the primary camera, so 100% Alexas! (including the lower resolution XT: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3967856/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec. As long as the main camera meets the 4K requirement, other cameras can be used too). $50M budget...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-07-02 at 4:19 PM, kidzrevil said:

Hmm how would I use this with my cam ? I want to experiment with this asap. It would be amazing if someone made some noise profiles for the gh4,g80 and gh5. That would help bring us even closer to developing clean cinematic images with the GH series of cameras 

Please share your experiments, this thing with noise profiles seems very interesting! I've got neat video but never used this feature. Cool! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Emanuel said:

 

 

Great work! Love them both. It's very inspiring to see what this little camera is capable of. Does anyone know the anamorphic setup in the first video? I am very interested as the astetic look really pleasing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DBounce said:

Great work! Love them both. It's very inspiring to see what this little camera is capable of. Does anyone know the anamorphic setup in the first video? I am very interested as the astetic look really pleasing.

Yep, this videos are great! 

But, when i'm talking an thinking about film look like video, i imagine this kind of stuff

compare scene in car in my link and in "secret recipe" part of the video in car.

so, film look is good lighting, and grading in this case. (I also think that bmpcc shot in raw can do better work in low light to provide film look)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tihon84 said:

Yep, this videos are great! 

But, when i'm talking an thinking about film look like video, i imagine this kind of stuff

compare scene in car in my link and in "secret recipe" part of the video in car.

so, film look is good lighting, and grading in this case. (I also think that bmpcc shot in raw can do better work in low light to provide film look)

Well I agree, but more importantly is why do we both feel that way? What was done differently to make the one  scene feel more "cinematic" than the other? If we can nail that down we will be one step closer to pulling off the look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Okay, let me be the killjoy and party pooper... In all of the above videos, I see 'cinematic' light, framing and camera movement, but what I don't see is a 'cinematic' camera image - i.e. with rich, deep colors in subtle graduations and natural vs. artificial sharpness of the image. 

Of course, a $2000 GH5 is no $20,000 RED or $40,000 Alexa, but when comparing it to a $2000 Blackmagic Cinema Camera (to just pick a few random examples from Vimeo):

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, cantsin said:

 

Okay, let me be the killjoy and party pooper... In all of the above videos, I see 'cinematic' light, framing and camera movement, but what I don't see is a 'cinematic' camera image - i.e. with rich, deep colors in subtle graduations and natural vs. artificial sharpness of the image. 

Of course, a $2000 GH5 is no $20,000 RED or $40,000 Alexa, but when comparing it to a $2000 Blackmagic Cinema Camera (to just pick a few random examples from Vimeo):

 

 

Well that's the catch, right? For a thousand less than the GH5, one can buy a used BMPCC or BMCC and get an instant cinematic look, but you don't get the conveniences of the 5-axis, better battery life, better screen... well I guess just those 3 things really because nothing else is better.

If you need a workhouse camera for videography, the GH5 is a great camera, there's no doubt about it, but if you want a cinematic image, then get a BM camera or a Canon with ML Raw.

Obviously, great work can be filmed with any camera... it's been said a million times. I love my D5500 for its low cost, clean 1080p image at 24p and 60p, but if I am working on a project where I am looking for a purely cinematic image, I'll pick up the 5D3 every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With that being said, there is something for convenience and no budget filmmaking and for the money the GH5 is the best deal around. And with every passing month I am seeing more and more quality work done with them.

It may be just me, but I have noticed the 1080p looks better to than the 4K with highlights. But since I haven't used one, it's probably not fair for me to say for certain, just some general observations from the videos I have seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...