No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

An inverse April Fools is ingenious.

Got to love ML

Unfortunately my 5D3 is not with me at the moment... will have to go and grab it pronto.

10 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

I stopped recording after 11 minutes. It's safe to say it's continuous. So yes, there is a Santa Claus if Santa Claus = continuous 24p compressed RAW at 3168 x 1320 (max vertical resolution without going wider than 2.4:1). Here's a DNG:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8trg0exly76nx9a/m01-1531_000000.dng?dl=0

Santa Claus is yet to bring correct preview framing while recording or sound. Let's hope it doesn't take until April 1st 2018.

Is this shot at 14bit or 10bit?

First 5dmkiv is going to get a crop reduction and C-log…..now ML releases 4K in the 5dmkiii….this looks like a conspiracy perfectly orchestrated between Canon and ML to hit in the heart of the GH5……and for some reason looks like it is working as they expected…..the camera has just been released and does`t look like the best option now……my Gosh!!!!

Was it because of hackers that Panasonic began adding more and more videocentric features to their GH line and even made one hacker an ambassador (Nick Driftwood is an amabassador, isn't he?), or would they have done so anyway? As popular as ML is, it seems crazy to me that Canon wouldn't work together with them to add RAW Video to their product line.

Wow.

Only the Alexa has an image with substantially more dynamic range than the 5D RAW (11.5 stops sounds right, same as the MX, 12 stops on the CX00, 13-14 on the C300 Mk II, F55, F65 Dragon, etc., 15+ on the Alexa and Red's HDRx) and this also beats film before Vision 2 and the DI. The color and resolution and tonality should be great, too, and that's not the case with most cameras. If reliable enough to use seriously, the image should be in the same class as the absolute best of the best and in a tiny body.

And 2X stretch anamorphic on this... holy shit. For those willing to put in the work you will be rewarded. You will have no more excuses (from a camera perspective, excepting maybe reliability) for not producing world class imagery. Imo this will surpass the MX-line of Reds for subjective quality out of the box; the red/green chromasticities are too close on the MX–even on the Dragon imo–you will get richer color here and the same DR.

There's still no way the 5D IV rumor is true. But this is a nice consolation prize

9 hours ago, mercer said:

That video was actually the reason I decided to go 5D3 instead of GH5.

And this is the video that was referenced in the description of the above video...

Hurry up @mercer !!!…5dmkiii prices are going up like rockets on ebay now…..I hope you already got yours…..I already have one in my hands but is not mine…..not sure now if I should get a markiii or wait for the upgrade in the markiv…..decisions, decisions…...

anyone can make a comparison between the GH5 and the new supercharger markiii?…… @Andrew Reid this indirect is for you obviously!!!

16 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Hurry up @mercer !!!…5dmkiii prices are going up like rockets on ebay now…..I hope you already got yours…..I already have one in my hands but is not mine…..not sure now if I should get a markiii or wait for the upgrade in the markiv…..decisions, decisions…...

anyone can make a comparison between the GH5 and the new supercharger markiii?…… @Andrew Reid this indirect is for you obviously!!!

Oh I was getting one before this update was announced. Hope to have it in a week's time. 

40 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

What I don't understand is why ML does not do that for the Mk4 ?

Imagine with the better processor, DPAF and so on...

They don't have as many coders working on it as they used to. If it's possible, I'm sure A1EX will do it, but it could be a couple years before it's ready.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

What I don't understand is why ML does not do that for the Mk4 ?

Imagine with the better processor, DPAF and so on...

Same reason they haven't done it on the 1DC. They don't know how.

Canon haven't releases a firmware update file yet for them either. Without that they dont even know where to begin.

44 minutes ago, squig said:

So I've tried it. So far I can record continuous 14bit 1:1 2.3K 2.39:1 (2304x964) or 2.6K 14bit lossless, and 2.8K 1.5x anamorphic 2.39:1 (1920x1152) with a full color live view.

So you're getting almost 3K in liveview and not crop mode? Any sound, or is it MLV Lite?

Any samples?

Never mind, I just read a1ex's update. 

26 minutes ago, mercer said:

So you're getting almost 3K in liveview and not crop mode? Any sound, or is it MLV Lite?

Any samples?

Never mind, I just read a1ex's update. 

No sound. Getting 3k now with 14bit lossless :smiley: No samples yet. I'll get some anamorphic traffic shots tonight if the rain stops.

34 minutes ago, squig said:

No sound. Getting 3k now with 14bit lossless :smiley: No samples yet. I'll get some anamorphic traffic shots tonight if the rain stops.

Make it So, as Captain Jean-Luc Picard used to say.  :grin:  Cool Beans!

Here is a pretty good list of DR on Video cameras toward the bottom of the article. 5D mkIII not doing so good.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/where-cameras-stand-in-dynamic-range-film-vs-digital/

But with Raw he states 3 to 4 stop upgrade on say the Canon's.  That is a hell of a lot!! 

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/dynamic-range-comparison-of-raw-vs-video-mode-on-the-canon-550d/

32 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Make it So, as Captain Jean-Luc Picard used to say.  :grin:  Cool Beans!

Here is a pretty good list of DR on Video cameras toward the bottom of the article. 5D mkIII not doing so good. Now with Raw well??

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/where-cameras-stand-in-dynamic-range-film-vs-digital/

Lolololol at Red Dragon's claim of 18 stops. It's a great camera in many ways, but Red's gonna lose its credibility stretching the facts that far and Red needs to learn humility before the industry teaches it. Then again it's always been a high end enthusiast camera and that market couldn't care less for facts.

Remember, those are "claimed" figures. Red publicly claims (again, lolololol) 18 stops. Arri claims 14+.*  And... someone online claimed 8.7 for the 5D. Because Canon certainly didn't say anything.

And yet.... 8.7 stops sounds totally accurate! If a bit low. I would guess a little better, maybe they used Standard and not Neutral with contrast turned down. (I'd personally guess 9 or at best 10 stops with a flat setting, but I'd expect banding then, man does that codec suck.) Most of the rest of the claims seem slightly inflated. But Arri's is very very conservative, as is Kodak's.

But in RAW, I'd give the 5D mark III a guesstimate of 10.5-11.5 stops of DR at 5600k at 9.5-10.5 at 3200K. That's great. At 1080p, Magic Lantern RAW competes well with the C300. At 4k, it might still lack in DR just a bit... but overall it should easily trounce even the formidable the Epic MX and everything but the Alexa for color. Basically, C500 image quality but a little softer, less clean, and probably more "cinematic." For pure IQ, it should be untouchable at ten times the price. But the workflow isn't worth it for me personally. But yeah, I'm expecting just below C500 for quality and just above it for aesthetics.

In conclusion, this is a pretty good list... of bullshit. Then again, it specifies "claimed" and to that extent it seems perfectly accurate, if perfectly useless.

*Secretly and internally Arri now claims 15+ with an emphasis on + for latest gen Alexas, but doesn't want to raise a stink that would anger early adopters.

Ah I would not dismiss any of Reds claims. They are pretty much top of the list. 18 stops can be done. Hell Canon has hit 20 stops using 2 F65's side by side using a prism. One set for shadows, one set for highlights, and combining them in to one signal. Probably a early test of 3D output truth be known.