Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Does anyone have any advice about using Focus Peaking on the GH5 with vintage lenses?

If I set it to Low then it isn't accurate enough, and if I set it to High then I think the lens is too soft for it to think anything is in focus, so it's not much help.

Any other focus assists I can use in-camera?  I know this is something that a good external display would help with, but it would make my setup too big so I'm stuck with the in-camera features.

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

Monochrome Live View perhaps?

That helps a little, but I think it's the Peaking algorithm itself.

For instance, if I set the Peaking to High and put two objects the same distance from the lens, one with higher contrast edges and one without, and focus on them, I get the contrasty object with focus highlights and the softer one without.  If I was just trying to focus on the softer object without anything else nearby then the peaking wouldn't be any help.

If I set it to Low, then the peaking shows edges on the softer object, but unfortunately it will also show peaking on high contrast objects that aren't in focus as well, in the background perhaps.  Yesterday I went out and shot some test clips with my 14mm F2.5 and the peaking showed that the trees were in focus as well as the background but the footage shows the trees as being quite blurry and the background nicely in focus.

I suspect that it simply highlights if there is a difference between two pixels above a certain threshold, which will be true if a contrasty object is in focus, true if a very contrasty object is out of focus but has a blur that goes from light to dark, and isn't true if you have a soft object in focus (like skin).  Hmm...  I need faster lenses so the focal plane is shallower and therefore it's more obvious!

46 minutes ago, kye said:

That helps a little, but I think it's the Peaking algorithm itself.

I discussed this at length about this a few months ago, and came to the same conclusion. Because even with my [insert brand here] 😂, which has a lower resolution screen, peaking is easier for me to see. 

Another question.

I just got my 256Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I card and the GH5 stops recording in the 400Mbit mode saying the card can't keep up.  I tested the card in my computer and it gets a continuous 80+MB/s write speed with 5Gb files in the BM Speed Test program, so it should work fine in the camera (400Mbps is only ~50MB/s write, not even close to the 80MB/s it tests at).

I've read a bunch of websites and done some testing there's no indication it's a fake.

Anyone else had card speed issues?

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Is the card v60? I read somewhere that if the card doesn’t have a v30, v60 or v90 rating, it can’t guarantee sustained read and write speeds. I could be mistaken though.

Edit: just looked it up. v30.

Yeah, it's the V30 one, with the 95MB/s speed.  

I just finished copying 190Gb of images onto it and then looked at a bunch of images to compare the card copy to the HDD and they all check out.  I'm satisfied it's not a fake.

I'm going into town today so will call past the camera place I bought it from and see if they have another high-speed card to try out.  Unfortunately that's the only fast card I have so I can't narrow down if it's the camera or that card, although the computer says it tests fine so that points to the camera.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Another question.

I just got my 256Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I card and the GH5 stops recording in the 400Mbit mode saying the card can't keep up.  I tested the card in my computer and it gets a continuous 80+MB/s write speed with 5Gb files in the BM Speed Test program, so it should work fine in the camera (400Mbps is only ~50MB/s write, not even close to the 80MB/s it tests at).

I've read a bunch of websites and done some testing there's no indication it's a fake.

Anyone else had card speed issues?

Had lots of write speed errors with Sandisk Extreme cards that I used. Went with Freetail Evoke and Prograde instead and never had that kind of problems.

1 hour ago, TurboRat said:

Had lots of write speed errors with Sandisk Extreme cards that I used. Went with Freetail Evoke and Prograde instead and never had that kind of problems.

Damn.. I spoke to the guy in the shop and the critical part is UHS-II, the SanDisk card I have is only UHS-I.

I think that it's probably a case of the card being able to sustain that speed on average but the video probably doesn't get generated at a constant speed and if the camera buffer fills up then it will cause the error.

I've recorded a bunch of test clips at 400Mbps and 150Mbps and the 150 looks pretty amazing actually. I haven't compared them directly but I've heard that they're very similar, so I might just use that mode with the cards I have.

Apparently UHS-II cards are really expensive.

3 hours ago, kye said:

Damn.. I spoke to the guy in the shop and the critical part is UHS-II, the SanDisk card I have is only UHS-I.

I think that it's probably a case of the card being able to sustain that speed on average but the video probably doesn't get generated at a constant speed and if the camera buffer fills up then it will cause the error.

I've recorded a bunch of test clips at 400Mbps and 150Mbps and the 150 looks pretty amazing actually. I haven't compared them directly but I've heard that they're very similar, so I might just use that mode with the cards I have.

Apparently UHS-II cards are really expensive.

Yes they are. Ain't cheap to own a PK4 in the short run. And that card is on sale! You can pay more money for the media you Need than you paid for the damn camera. That is why I can't afford to buy it. 😬

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090746-REG/lexar_lsd256crbna10002_pro_1000x_uhs_2.html?sts=pi

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yes they are. Ain't cheap to own a PK4 is the short run. And that card is on sale!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090746-REG/lexar_lsd256crbna10002_pro_1000x_uhs_2.html?sts=pi

Cheaper than the cards for my XC10.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1067863-REG/transcend_ts256gcfx650_cfast_2_0_cfx650_flash.html

and that was just to get 305Mbps 4K!

10 hours ago, kye said:

Yeah, it's the V30 one, with the 95MB/s speed.  

I just finished copying 190Gb of images onto it and then looked at a bunch of images to compare the card copy to the HDD and they all check out.  I'm satisfied it's not a fake.

I'm going into town today so will call past the camera place I bought it from and see if they have another high-speed card to try out.  Unfortunately that's the only fast card I have so I can't narrow down if it's the camera or that card, although the computer says it tests fine so that points to the camera.

I can't find the source, but I have read that the GH5's internal bus has a limit a lot lower than 95MB/s for UHS-l. For UHD-II, the internal bandwidth is doubled. A hypothetical 80MB/s UHS-II might therefore have a higher write speed in the GH5 than a 95MB/s UHS-I card

That makes sense @UncleBobsPhotography and would explain why I'm not getting 50MBps in the GH5 on a card that gives 80MBps in the computer :)

I must say though, I went out again today and took some random test shots and the 150Mbps modes just floor me.  Even the FHD 180fps mode looks great.

The phrase "digital film" keeps coming into my head when I look at a clip, either fullscreen which looks soft and with wonderful colour subtlety or zoomed in hugely where it just looks like film grain.  My vintage lenses will be helping with this, but even the 14mm F2.5 still gives that impression too.  It's a mile away from the brittle and digital look most 4K mirrorless cameras shoot these days.

9 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Is your C Fast card Fast enough for Raw in the PK4? All 10 seconds of it.

Ironically, if I bought the BMPCC4K instead of GH5 then I'd already have the expensive media!!

I don't think they're fast enough for 1:1 RAW at 60fps, but they're usable for every sensible mode.  See below - they test about the same as a SSD HDD.

591965462_ScreenShot2018-07-23at11_42_23am.thumb.png.c02b8f4a5c13ce04c75eb58f00f4f589.png

@jonpais This might have been covered already, but I don’t remember I read it. What color space should I use in Resolve for Input, Timeline and Output when I work with HLG footage?

For Output I should use Rec.709 as that’s the delivery Gamut, but what about Input and Timeline, does it matter?

PS I don’t have HDR monitor.

Thanks

1 hour ago, mirekti said:

@jonpais This might have been covered already, but I don’t remember I read it. What color space should I use in Resolve for Input, Timeline and Output when I work with HLG footage?

For Output I should use Rec.709 as that’s the delivery Gamut, but what about Input and Timeline, does it matter?

PS I don’t have HDR monitor.

Thanks

I use the following:

- In Project Settings, under Color Management, Change to Davinci Color Managed
- Under Color Management select:
-- Rec 2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Input Color Space
-- Rec 2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Timeline Color Space
-- Rec 709 HLG ARIB STD-B67 for Output Color Space

13 minutes ago, buggz said:

I use the following:

Thanks. Once this is set I simply apply Lemmings LUT i.e. there is no some kind of collision between the these two actions (ColorSpace setting and Lemming LUT)?