Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

42 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Agreed...but he's shooting in fairly bright light so he's probably stopped down quite a bit...if memory serves correctly he's shooting on a 25mm 1.7...he mentions this as an anamorphic handheld travel rig...to get shallow DOF he'd have to use a strong ND..and open up the lens..when  DOF gets that shallow, shooting slows down considerably....my takeaway from these clips is that this little 1.33 40 adapter could actually work in a narrative environment where you can then lock the camera off and get shallow depth of field, when needed, to advance the storyline...good reason DPs prefer to shoot full features around 5.8 though!...they get things in focus...I find this adapter impressive for $500 though!

So he is cropping in? At 25mm I think he would have vignette? Plus his edge sharpness looks pretty clean if not cropped in.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Agreed...but he's shooting in fairly bright light so he's probably stopped down quite a bit...if memory serves correctly he's shooting on a 25mm 1.7...he mentions this as an anamorphic handheld travel rig...to get shallow DOF he'd have to use a strong ND..and open up the lens..when  DOF gets that shallow, shooting slows down considerably....my takeaway from these clips is that this little 1.33 40 adapter could actually work in a narrative environment where you can then lock the camera off and get shallow depth of field, when needed, to advance the storyline...good reason DPs prefer to shoot full features around 5.8 though!...they get things in focus...I find this adapter impressive for $500 though!

Thanks Fritz. Video author here. As you've pointed out, I was shooting in an environment that didn't lend itself to "cinematic" shots, which require a little more setup. I was constantly on the move and working with a very new-to-me lens combination. But with the necessary preparation the lens and adapter can absolutely be used for narrative work, delivering a nice shallow depth of field when needed, and it also flares very pleasantly. All for $500. I'm impressed too.... ;-)

9 hours ago, DBounce said:

So he is cropping in? At 25mm I think he would have vignette? Plus his edge sharpness looks pretty clean if not cropped in.

There is no major cropping. There is a tiny amount applied when using FCP X stabilization to moderate some of the handheld drifting, but the GH5 sensor stabilization is excellent in that regard. The lens combination is very sharp edge to edge, with no vignetting.

3 hours ago, stoneinapond said:

Thanks Fritz. Video author here. As you've pointed out, I was shooting in an environment that didn't lend itself to "cinematic" shots, which require a little more setup. I was constantly on the move and working with a very new-to-me lens combination. But with the necessary preparation the lens and adapter can absolutely be used for narrative work, delivering a nice shallow depth of field when needed, and it also flares very pleasantly. All for $500. I'm impressed too.... ;-)

Great footage!...and in "Painters Garden" [email protected] also has the 1.33 40 and has posted some great footage...this is an intriguing adapter!...

7 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Great footage!...and in "Painters Garden" [email protected] also has the 1.33 40 and has posted some great footage...this is an intriguing adapter!...

I'm very happy with it. The anamorphot compact has really added something special to my productions. The tiffen diopters are great to have also.

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

@Emanuel you are the man of many links. Just buy a GH5 already, will ya? ?

Not yet Glenn, I have so many cameras over my desk, I can't decide to quit from any of them yet. But, I surely will ;-)

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

Not yet Glenn, I have so many cameras over my desk, I can't decide to quit from any of them yet. But, I surely will ;-)

Isn't that what they say, the best camera is the one you have with you, or the one you already own. What do you shoot with now? Actually, I'm unsure if I ever asked you, what kind of work do you do... corporate, music videos, documentaries, narratives?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Isn't that what they say, the best camera is the one you have with you, or the one you already own. What do you shoot with now? Actually, I'm unsure if I ever asked you, what kind of work do you do... corporate, music videos, documentaries, narratives?

Yes, it's true : ) Funny question... I've just posted a new thread on topic:

I have enrolled myself in some productions (mostly narrative, aside a few docs or experimental stuff when happens) of other people, although in sabbatical retirement these last two years. When and where I've practically dedicated myself to photography as personal path of my own or funding new projects to come next year or to luckily start in the end of this year. Let's see what happens... :-)

5DII, earlier GH series' offer and G7 by this chronological order with or another exception aside, as shooter.

19 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Yes, it's true : ) Funny question... I've just posted a new thread on topic:

I have enrolled myself in some productions (mostly narrative, aside a few docs or experimental stuff when happens) of other people, although in sabbatical retirement these last two years. When and where I've practically dedicated myself to photography as personal path of my own or funding new projects to come next year or to luckily start in the end of this year. Let's see what happens :-)

5DII, GH1 and G7 by this chronological order with or another exception aside, as shooter.

I love the 5D2 and ML Raw... some people like that look more than the 5D3. Honestly, what more do you NEED than that?

43 minutes ago, mercer said:

I love the 5D2 and ML Raw... some people like that look more than the 5D3. Honestly, what more do you NEED than that?

Indeed. That's my point exactly. If you're happy with, why to move along? : )

I have to be pretty sincere on here. I normally resist to trade in my tools for the newest promise to keep up the vibe. To me the secret is always on combos. That's just my weak point :-D

Speaking of devil, 5D2 only had two flaws: DSLR form factor (I did the move to the GH series to begin with the GH1 and never looked back in any way other than as when ML RAW popped up) and aliasing/moiré. The latter one much prone to overcome with the proper handy skillful workarounds. We did a feature film with (even before ML hack) becoming a web series too later, at least:

1 hour ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

And what's your initial impressions? 

Loving the GH5. Not nearly as difficult to cc V-Log as I thought. Tricky to gauge exposure with V-Log the first time 'round though. 

41 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Loving the GH5. Not nearly as difficult to cc V-Log as I thought. Tricky to gauge exposure with V-Log the first time 'round though. 

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. If you nail exposure with v-log it's not that hard to get it to look better than the other profiles, but it's a little tricky. I need to practice more on that. 

I thought your Veydra test looked better than this which is why I asked. They looked really nice btw, and I'm not jealous at all...

I'm currently just on my 2014 MBP, so I don't exactly have the best monitor to judge things. Sold my LG 5K and will be ordering a new iMac next month.

Can't believe how 'robust' the 4.2.2 10bit files are - even in V-LOG they are virtually unbreakable (Blue skies remain banding free) even with very heavy adjustments. Coming from a Sony A7s and A7r2 where skies band without any processing this is nothing short of a miracle how Panasonic have done this with a 150mbs codec. Still prefer Cinelike-D for most scenes unless they contain huge contrast ranges as the highlight roll-off is smoother and light shades have more tonal detail.

I'm about to buy gh5. Can anyone tell me what the rolling shutter is like compared to gx85. I've found those files hard to wrap stabilse with some micro wobbles. Ends up all warpy and wobbly. Also how big a deal is vlog? Can I start with cinelike or do I need it from the get go?  and what's the 1080 like? The gx85 is a bit gnarly

@gethin Congratulations! You'll love the camera, even if setting it up is a bit cumbersome at first. Hopefully, Andrew will release his manual soon. V-Log Lite is supposed to offer twelve stops of dynamic range compared to the 10 stops of Cinelike D, but I don't think it's always absolutely necessary. Being able to load LUTs into the camera for previewing your image is also a definite plus. The Cinelike D of the GH5 already seems to have greater tonality compared to that of the G85. 

thanks @jonpais. So OK, will get my head round vlog after I've had a tinker for a few weeks.   So that rolling shutter: I know its supposed to be pretty good on the GH5, is it better than gx85?