Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

23 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Of course no one can pick a camera for anyone, but I can tell you from my experience....GH2, GH4 & now in a month GH5, that these cameras grow on one with use...they really are a pleasure to shoot with.... and the image you want...well that will be up to you...the camera will produce...of course the biggest problem with these cameras are the lenses (you will never be able to pass a pawn shop or yard sale again without browsing)...I think I'm at 26 lenses now not counting anamorphic adapters...I've stopped counting...anyway...if I see one image I love out of a camera, it's enough...I ¬†don't need easy....I need capable...robust and easy to operate....the rest is up to me...and yes...the clip of the motorcycle is greatūüėéūüėéūüėéalways things to lure us in life!

Honestly if I was only concerned with IQ, the 5D3 would be enough, but the post workflow is a little long and it lacks some of the simple, or should I say, easy features of the GH5... mostly 60p in 4K and the variable frame rates conformed in camera. So for me, the 5D3 would be the camera I'd use for my more thoughtful shorts and the GH5 would be for my Micro shorts.

Sorry for some reason I cannot get rid of this post. 

So, earlier in this post I mentioned some features in the FZ2500 that I really enjoyed and looked forward to possibly using with the GH5 but now after looking for them in the manual, I cannot find them. So can someone please confirm if the GH5 has Slow and Quick like the FZ2500 has? Basically you push a button and the video will go from normal motion into slow motion for as long as you hold the button? Please tell me the GH5 has this and please tell me it works in 4K 60p? There was also a Dolly Zoom function. Also can someone please confirm if you can shoot 4K up to 60p in variable frame rate mode so the camera conforms it to 24p?

Thanks!!!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, mercer said:

So, earlier in this post I mentioned some features in the FZ2500 that I really enjoyed and looked forward to possibly using with the GH5 but now after looking for them in the manual, I cannot find them. So can someone please confirm if the GH5 has Slow and Quick like the FZ2500 has? Basically you push a button and the video will go from normal motion into slow motion for as long as you hold the button? Please tell me the GH5 has this and please tell me it works in 4K 60p? There was also a Dolly Zoom function. Also can someone please confirm if you can shoot 4K up to 60p in variable frame rate mode so the camera conforms it to 24p?

Thanks!!!

I haven't got a GH5 buy, yeah, looking at the manual and online videos of the VFR it doesn't appear to be variable within recording like it is on the FZ2500 and their consumer camcorders that have that function.

The Dolly Zoom would be out because its a combination of the optical lens zooming in/out and image scaling that requires an integral lens for the software to pull off. It *could* be possible on the few MFT powered zooms that Panasonic do I guess but it doesn't appear to be part of the feature set as yet.

Its some camera that FZ2500 isn't it? 

33 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I haven't got a GH5 buy, yeah, looking at the manual and online videos of the VFR it doesn't appear to be variable within recording like it is on the FZ2500 and their consumer camcorders that have that function.

The Dolly Zoom would be out because its a combination of the optical lens zooming in/out and image scaling that requires an integral lens for the software to pull off. It *could* be possible on the few MFT powered zooms that Panasonic do I guess but it doesn't appear to be part of the feature set as yet.

Its some camera that FZ2500 isn't it? 

Thank you for double checking for me. Yeah the FZ2500 is awesome and to be honest with you, without the slow and quick function, the GH5 seems a little less intriguing to me... as silly as I'm sure that sounds. I think I will definitely wait to see how the summer firmware is before I buy one. D7500 here I come... and maybe another FZ2500... or maybe I should follow your lead and go with the LS300...

I never used the dolly zoom, but I figured it was entirely some kind of digital scaling... or some shit... oh well that's easy enough to do with my slider. 

Just now, mercer said:

Thank you for double checking for me. Yeah the FZ2500 is awesome and to be honest with you, without the slow and quick function, the GH5 seems a little less intriguing to me... as silly as I'm sure that sounds. I think I will definitely wait to see how the summer firmware is before I buy one. D7500 here I come... and maybe another FZ2500... or maybe I should follow your lead and go with the LS300...

Get all three. Its the only logical option here!

Add the Ninja Inferno while you're at it and get ProRes and pristine monitoring for all three for only $300 per camera!

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Get all three. Its the only logical option here!

Add the Ninja Inferno while you're at it and get ProRes and pristine monitoring for all three for only $300 per camera!

Now you're talking. But seriously, it's funny how quickly I can go from hot to cold on equipment. In reality, I am really completely happy with the 5D3, but am looking for something I can get slow motion with a quicker post workflow and cheaper cards. The siren call of 10 bit 4K, 4K 60p, and IBIS had me there for a minute or two. Still a cool camera, but I definitely have to weigh my options a little more now. The 60p from my D5500 looks great to me, so without the in camera normal to slow motion function, then... ehh... I may as well just get an FZ2500. 

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

Now you're talking. But seriously, it's funny how quickly I can go from hot to cold on equipment. In reality, I am really completely happy with the 5D3, but am looking for something I can get slow motion with a quicker post workflow and cheaper cards. The siren call of 10 bit 4K, 4K 60p, and IBIS had me there for a minute or two. Still a cool camera, but I definitely have to weigh my options a little more now. The 60p from my D5500 looks great to me, so without the in camera normal to slow motion function, then... ehh... I may as well just get an FZ2500. 

With the 4K60p of the LS300 once you get over the pain of the purchase price of the Ninja Inferno it does actually work out cheaper per gig to record on SSD (about £4.60 per mb for SD versus £2.30 for SSD) but you do need more space because its recording ProRes but then again that gives you a faster workflow. As my very tedious spreadsheet the other week showed!

I use the D500 for work but for stills rather than video and if that D7500 is the same internals then you'll be getting a fine camera.

I'l just throw a curveball in though and suggest you take a peak at the XT-20. I got one as a cheaper second XT-2 for work. It has plenty going for it.

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

With the 4K60p of the LS300 once you get over the pain of the purchase price of the Ninja Inferno it does actually work out cheaper per gig to record on SSD (about £4.60 per mb for SD versus £2.30 for SSD) but you do need more space because its recording ProRes but then again that gives you a faster workflow. As my very tedious spreadsheet the other week showed!

I use the D500 for work but for stills rather than video and if that D7500 is the same internals then you'll be getting a fine camera.

I'l just throw a curveball in though and suggest you take a peak at the XT-20. I got one as a cheaper second XT-2 for work. It has plenty going for it.

Actually I think the LS300 may have the nicest 4K image under $3000. And some of the coolest features, but I shoot almost entirely guerilla style and I would be afraid the form factor may draw too much attention. But the idea of different sensor sizes sounds so cool. My c-mounts would love it and then to be able to use a Kern prime as a zoom... too effing cool. 

I have tested so many cameras over the past year and the images I come back to and really like are from 5D3 ML Raw, the D5500 and the CineLikeD with the FZ2500. So I should probably just stick to those. Although I did go through a Fuji phase and the color OOC really is spectacular. 

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

but I shoot almost entirely guerilla style and I would be afraid the form factor may draw too much attention

That's why I don't care when people praise the big boobies as the best when not the only girls in town. No Alexa will give you the mini-Varicam can.

Once again, the best camera is that one in your hands when you're able to push the trigger.

Don't impress too much on some opinions you read over here. I've read a few nonsense apparently even not from the usual suspects. They just want to justify their own choices. Dictated by their own circumstances, not yours :-)

I just came back from a wedding shoot with the GH5 and there is one thing that I'm not too happy about. With the GH3 and GH4, I could use the internal mics for the party in the evening. The loud music was picked up pretty well and I didn't disort at all so was useable.

Now, the GH5. I had the audio-input at -12 db which is the lowest setting the camera does and it records fucking LOUD. All clips from the party are heavily distorted like the camera was taped onto the speakers.

Now, other than turning the limiter on (which i do not like), would there be another setting that lowers the input of the audio?

2 hours ago, Stab said:

I just came back from a wedding shoot with the GH5 and there is one thing that I'm not too happy about. With the GH3 and GH4, I could use the internal mics for the party in the evening. The loud music was picked up pretty well and I didn't disort at all so was useable.

Now, the GH5. I had the audio-input at -12 db which is the lowest setting the camera does and it records fucking LOUD. All clips from the party are heavily distorted like the camera was taped onto the speakers.

Now, other than turning the limiter on (which i do not like), would there be another setting that lowers the input of the audio?

Duct tape. I'd leave the limiter on though. I think I'm agreeing with you but I've only done very subjective observations, nothing concrete. It seems to me that -12dB should be the default 0 and that you should be able to decrease another 12db from there. This is because with things set to -12 the average normal audio level seems to center around -12 on the scale which is marked as being the optimal recording level with maximum dynamic range. The 0 setting means peaking all the way up to 0 and averages closer to -5 or so. Which is way too high for optimal results. If I was doing a wedding no way would I use on camera mics, I'd use (at the least) the Tascam TM-2X which has a low sensitivity setting. Great sounding mics on it. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009303-REG/tascam_tm_2x_x_y_directional_stereo_condenser.html 

Some 12 firmware updates Fstoppers wishes Panasonic would implement. It seems to me that some of his complaints are perfectly reasonable, like wanting to know what ISO the camera is at when on Auto ISO, or wishing that the camera would show the in-camera battery life when the battery grip is attached, but many readers mock him anyway. 1/3 million subscribers, but it appears that half the comments for every video he makes are negative. Another example is, he'd like to have sound recording while recording VFR, and some viewers will say something like, other manufacturers don't offer that. Well, other cameras in this price range don't offer half the features Panasonic stuffs into this marvel of a camera, is that any reason not to wish for more? For what it's worth, they purchased 5 GH5 bodies and he praises the camera no end, but haters will be haters.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Some 12 firmware updates Fstoppers wishes Panasonic would implement. It seems to me that some of his complaints are perfectly reasonable, like wanting to know what ISO the camera is at when on Auto ISO, or wishing that the camera would show the in-camera battery life when the battery grip is attached, but many readers mock him anyway. 1/3 million subscribers, but it appears that half the comments for every video he makes are negative. Another example is, he'd like to have sound recording while recording VFR, and some viewers will say something like, other manufacturers don't offer that. Well, other cameras in this price range don't offer half the features Panasonic stuffs into this marvel of a camera, is that any reason not to wish for more? For what it's worth, they purchased 5 GH5 bodies and he praises the camera no end, but haters will be haters.

Honestly its the Only companny that gave us tools for filmmaking for 2k

i do agree about some aspects 

but honestly Fstopers asking alot 

11 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Looks like better DR on the GH5 and lots more in-camera sharpening on the NX1. I owned the NX1 and it still really holds up well today. Samsung was way ahead of its time with this camera. It's too bad they abandoned this market.

7 minutes ago, zetty said:

Something for @mercer ;)

EDIT: apparently has its own topic here: http://eoshd.com/comments/topic/24803-improving-gh5-colour-comparison-with-5d3-raw/

I can barely make 5D3 look good let alone trying to match GH5... I wish I was a good enough colorist for that.  It is cool it can be done, though. 

On 06.05.2017 at 10:15 PM, mercer said:

I can barely make 5D3 look good let alone trying to match GH5... I wish I was a good enough colorist for that.  It is cool it can be done, though. 

I can send you ae project with gh5 matching 5d3 from this video

7 hours ago, tihon84 said:

I can send you ae project with gh5 matching 5d3 from this video

Thanks but I don't use AE and to be honest I decided against the GH5 for the time being. I actually just bought another FZ2500 on the cheap. The 5D3 already fills most of what I need in a camera and then for anything quick and dirty, I'll use the high bitrate, all-i, 1080p from the FZ2500.

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks but I don't use AE and to be honest I decided against the GH5 for the time being. I actually just bought another FZ2500 on the cheap. The 5D3 already fills most of what I need in a camera and then for anything quick and dirty, I'll use the high bitrate, all-i, 1080p from the FZ2500.

Ok. I have bmpcc, gh2 and Sony rx10ii. But after i saw files from gh5 i decide to sell all of my cameras. 

RX10ii - really good camera, but i can`t get good colors and it makes me crazy.

bmpcc- IQ is superb but no HFR, bad battery life and monitor. No stab

GH2 - is my old friend. But too old for now :)

GH5 is my next camera i think