Andrew Reid

Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?

12 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I think you will enjoy it immensely with the new firmware. 

From some brief testing it's really nice with the old firmware. I can't believe how effective the 5-axis IBIS is now. I thought what they created with the original OM-D E-M5 was good but this is astonishing. The EVF is lovely too. The 4K video is very good & it has the lovely Olympus colour.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The cable arrived & I've updated the firmware.

The C-AF is freakishly good. At least the equal of any proper camcorder that I have used over the years.

Initially I was horrified at the severe crop mode in both HD & 4K video but then realised that this is only when you have sensor shift & digital IS engaged & when you switch to sensor shift only there is no crop.

I bought a cheap Vitrox speed booster to enable me to use my Nikon lenses but having tried then I don't think that this is going to be useful as the camera is hideously unbalanced when you put a heavyweight FF lens plus speed booster on the front of the camera. I'll just live with the 25mm F/1.7 which gives me 50mm FF equivalent view & can always use the lossless 2x digital teleconverter when shooting video to give a 100mm view.

20 hours ago, Ingerson said:

Anyone have some clips to share of the improved AF? :)

Sorry I'm busy with regular work stuff at the moment & not had much time to shoot any video. TBH I jumped in & bought the camera as I saw one at a good price & I was expecting prices of used cameras would rise once others spotted how good the firmware update is. It's a lovely camera & feels just right in your hands.

20 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Just made a video showing the amazing advancements of the V3 firmware!

I'm attracted to Olympus and have shot lots on a EM5II.  Looking to jump back into the brand.  Do you have any experience with the EM10III?  Since I shoot manual lenses and don't dabble much with LOG, might be a good fit.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

I'm attracted to Olympus and have shot lots on a EM5II.  Looking to jump back into the brand.  Do you have any experience with the EM10III?  Since I shoot manual lenses and don't dabble much with LOG, might be a good fit.  Thoughts?

The E-M5iii is expected to get announced in late September. You could wait to see what Olympus introduces. 

4 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I have the 8-18 f2.8-4 and it is great! Wish it was constant but 2.8 on the wide end is good for me

I was thinking about it since its a pretty small and fun lens but then having f2 in the whole range is hard to leave :D 

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Since E-M10 III is so cheap but doesn't have great AF or any form of LOG, you could save a bit of money and not bother waiting for E-M5 III.

Put a Speed Booster on E-M10 III instead

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Since E-M10 III is so cheap but doesn't have great AF or any form of LOG, you could save a bit of money and not bother waiting for E-M5 III.

Put a Speed Booster on E-M10 III instead

Yeah, I got Voight primes and like them a lot.  I feel I don’t need a higher end camera since my concern is shooting video. 

I like the GH5, but don’t love it - as I know I’m only utilizing about half of its capability the way I do things. Downgrading gear seems counterintuitive, but sort of makes sense.

The 60p 4K would be hard to let go of, however. 

17 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Bumping this thread! Just made a video showing the amazing advancements of the V3 firmware! I love using this camera. Colors are great. Ibis is amazing and now autofocus is totally reliable 

Thanks Dave! I wonder why the colors aren’t as nice on the OMLog? Hopefully you slap the 10-25 f1.7 and share the experience. I’ve been thinking about picking up an Olympus camera. Either the new EM5 or the the next EM1.

I know Olympus has had a lot of feedback on their EM1X with regards to video from their initial beta field testers. The testers see value in it as a video camera as well now. I hope they take that and run with it.

When I was buying my GH5 I was evaluating options and word was that Olympus had slightly better IBIS than Panasonic.  Not sure what model that was, but they're not to be sneezed at.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:47 PM, DaveAltizer said:

Bumping this thread! Just made a video showing the amazing advancements of the V3 firmware! I love using this camera. Colors are great. Ibis is amazing and now autofocus is totally reliable 

a tad offtopic, but I have to admit that the VLOGs of @DaveAltizer are one of the very few hat I really enjoy watching until the (suprisingly not so bitter VLOG) end. Top notch content!