Jump to content

Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just received my EM1 Mkii from B&H used department and immediately loaded V3 on it.  I am using the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 and the autofocus performs flawlessly. As good as Canon Dual Pixel

I got to play with the new Olympus E-M1 II today, a pro Micro Four Thirds camera they hope will sell for $2000. It certainly pulls out all the stops to imitate a miniature 1D X Mark II. This came

Already ordered an EM1 Mkii from B&H....gonna do a vid about it! I think this is now going to be a way better option for people than the EM1X...WAY cheaper. Paid $1,100 for it used. If the AF

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Ingerson said:

Anyone have some clips to share of the improved AF? :)

Sorry I'm busy with regular work stuff at the moment & not had much time to shoot any video. TBH I jumped in & bought the camera as I saw one at a good price & I was expecting prices of used cameras would rise once others spotted how good the firmware update is. It's a lovely camera & feels just right in your hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Just made a video showing the amazing advancements of the V3 firmware!

I'm attracted to Olympus and have shot lots on a EM5II.  Looking to jump back into the brand.  Do you have any experience with the EM10III?  Since I shoot manual lenses and don't dabble much with LOG, might be a good fit.  Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

I'm attracted to Olympus and have shot lots on a EM5II.  Looking to jump back into the brand.  Do you have any experience with the EM10III?  Since I shoot manual lenses and don't dabble much with LOG, might be a good fit.  Thoughts?

The E-M5iii is expected to get announced in late September. You could wait to see what Olympus introduces. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I'm attracted to Olympus and have shot lots on a EM5II.  Looking to jump back into the brand.  Do you have any experience with the EM10III?  Since I shoot manual lenses and don't dabble much with LOG, might be a good fit.  Thoughts?

Since E-M10 III is so cheap but doesn't have great AF or any form of LOG, you could save a bit of money and not bother waiting for E-M5 III.

Put a Speed Booster on E-M10 III instead

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Since E-M10 III is so cheap but doesn't have great AF or any form of LOG, you could save a bit of money and not bother waiting for E-M5 III.

Put a Speed Booster on E-M10 III instead

Yeah, I got Voight primes and like them a lot.  I feel I don’t need a higher end camera since my concern is shooting video. 

I like the GH5, but don’t love it - as I know I’m only utilizing about half of its capability the way I do things. Downgrading gear seems counterintuitive, but sort of makes sense.

The 60p 4K would be hard to let go of, however. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Bumping this thread! Just made a video showing the amazing advancements of the V3 firmware! I love using this camera. Colors are great. Ibis is amazing and now autofocus is totally reliable 

Thanks Dave! I wonder why the colors aren’t as nice on the OMLog? Hopefully you slap the 10-25 f1.7 and share the experience. I’ve been thinking about picking up an Olympus camera. Either the new EM5 or the the next EM1.

I know Olympus has had a lot of feedback on their EM1X with regards to video from their initial beta field testers. The testers see value in it as a video camera as well now. I hope they take that and run with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 7:47 PM, DaveAltizer said:

Bumping this thread! Just made a video showing the amazing advancements of the V3 firmware! I love using this camera. Colors are great. Ibis is amazing and now autofocus is totally reliable 

 

a tad offtopic, but I have to admit that the VLOGs of @DaveAltizer are one of the very few hat I really enjoy watching until the (suprisingly not so bitter VLOG) end. Top notch content!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 10:39 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah, I got Voight primes and like them a lot.  I feel I don’t need a higher end camera since my concern is shooting video. 

I like the GH5, but don’t love it - as I know I’m only utilizing about half of its capability the way I do things. Downgrading gear seems counterintuitive, but sort of makes sense.

The 60p 4K would be hard to let go of, however. 

I feel the same way with my GH5.  I've been flirting with Panasonic since the GX80 got IBIS (for the better video codec) and also picked up a GH5 with the 12-60/2.8-4 Leica which I do almost everything with.  I'm still not liking the colours as well as the old Olympus (spend more time in post colour correcting) and the size/weight of the GH5 is more noticeable compared to my old EM5-ii.

I'm considering moving back once I see what the EM5-iii is about, or just grabbing two refurbished EM10-iii and selling my panasonic lenses and relying on the Olympus 12-100/4 for outdoor events and my 17 and 42 Voigtlanders on two cameras for indoors.

I agree, the 60p 4k is great for getting better shutter speeds with less ND and the digital crop is handy for more reach.  However I use the HLG a lot these days for the better file compression and the 10-bit, although more work with LUTs/corrections in post...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...