GH5 Prototype

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Michael Ma said:

Best thing about this holiday season, GH5 leaks!

Also, 2 different lenses are pictured.  One is the Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4.0, and the other is Lumix 12-60 f/3.5-5.6.  Neither all that terribly exciting.  Would love to see a surprise announcement of a Leica 25mm f/1.2 with an dedicated aperture ring.

I agree about the lens choices too.

Can't figure Why the M43 makers don't concentrate on Faster Lenses. Like maybe a few f1.8 zooms or f.95 primes

Even if it means collaborating with Voigtlander or Sigma. Leica is great but their prices aren't.  

11 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I agree about the lens choices too.

Can't figure Why the M43 makers don't concentrate on Faster Lenses. Like maybe a few f1.8 zooms or f.95 primes

Even if it means collaborating with Voigtlander or Sigma. Leica is great but their prices aren't.  

In all fairness though the 5x zoom range of the Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 is great!  

5 hours ago, aldolega said:

Yea, a super FS5 is more of what I was picturing- still m4/3, real video camera shape, but very small for such, and bigger than the GHs... just big enough to have real controls, ergos, XLR, ND, etc. Although then you're not a whole lot bigger than the GH5 with the XLR box, so maybe it's just not worth it at that point. And the GH5/XLR combo is pretty similar to the C100 shape and layout. Just needs a rotating grip and a tilting EVF.

People speak of XLR as the end of it all but in my view XLR itself is nothing but a chunky connector standard that should have never left the studio. If anything, it's the mini XLR that should be used on the field cameras.

But then there's really no need for balanced inputs if the cable run is not very long and prone to interference -- and also phantom power is not something that is necessary with every good mic to be found, e.g. Ambient TinyMike is great and it doesn't require phantom power neither a battery. Feed from commonly used wireless receivers such as Sennheiser G3 also doesn't need phantom power; neither it is balanced, so a 3.5mm jack is totally fine. All you need is a decent preamp/ADC.

NDs and good AF have also been implemented in the mirrorless form factor -- and so if the heat isn't a problem, I really don't see any reason going for a bigger body. The ergonomics of GH4 with a few programmable buttons and touchscreen works great for me for the run and gun type of work.

11 minutes ago, zetty said:

People speak of XLR as the end of it all but in my view XLR itself is nothing but a chunky connector standard that should have never left the studio. If anything, it's the mini XLR that should be used on the field cameras.

But then there's really no need for balanced inputs if the cable run is not very long and prone to interference -- and also phantom power is not something that is necessary with every good mic to be found, e.g. Ambient TinyMike is great and it doesn't require phantom power neither a battery. Feed from commonly used wireless receivers such as Sennheiser G3 also doesn't need phantom power; neither it is balanced, so a 3.5mm jack is totally fine. All you need is a decent preamp/ADC.

You can't be less than just 100% right ; ) One of my instructors at film school was used to say the same since my early days at film school 2 decades ago... 

13 minutes ago, zetty said:

NDs and good AF have also been implemented in the mirrorless form factor -- and so if the heat isn't a problem, I really don't see any reason going for a bigger body. The ergonomics of GH4 with a few programmable buttons and touchscreen works great for me for the run and gun type of work.

Like button on twice mode :-)

For different jobs you need different tools. For you a GH4 with a mini jack input is just right, 95% of the times it is not for me.

GH4 isn't a C100 with a rotating handle, at all.

XLR package is a part of a whole system, with different ergonomics, handles, ND filters, various inputs/outputs, usually much better and much bigger batteries, etc. Usually all these adds to a much more productive tool for SOME video professionals. If you are not one of them, obviously you don't need any of these, usually producers are pushing fornthese setups, as they believe it is easier and much cheaper. In the series I am working now the producers were pushing for dSLR video, but we added the LS300 to that, and speeded up our production speed a lot.

Most of the times, I just want to take the camera out of the bag and start recording. Even with my biggest bag, I still have to add some things before I use my mirrorless setup.

Obviously, the forum here is called EOSHD, started as a dSLR forum or something, so it has a certain direction, Inunderstand that.

I have 3 mirrorless cameras at the moment. I just need a better video camera now. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

6K setting on the top-left dial.

Joystick on the back, nice touch.

Redesigned d-pad / click wheel but I'll be using joystick instead.

Full size HDMI port rumoured.

I hope Speed Booster XL still fits the mount, and ridge above it seems lower?

I prefer the compact size of the G85; it's not a stunning looking body or anything, but it's way easier on the eyes than either the GH4 or GH5. I'm so glad there's no click wheel, too. Yuck! WB, ISO are both easier to see and depress on the G85. And having the playback button on the right side instead of the left -what a brilliant idea! . And the shutter speed and aperture wheels on the lower priced camera are an improvement over the GH4 as well. The grip feels more secure in my hands. So ergonomically, I much prefer the layout of the G85 to the GH4 or GH5. 

8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

And having the playback button on the right side instead of the left -what a brilliant idea! .

GH2 had it in right side. Why they moved it to left in GH3 and GH4 ??

I hope the playback is at least a FN-button option in GH5. I hope also that video button and useless EV-button will be programmable.

AE-lock button seems to bee much closer to thumb in GH5 than in GH4. It is good because it is difficult to use back button focusing in GH4. It needs too much thumb movement and the video shakes easily. I hope is will be possible to program separate AF and AE lock and maybe even WB lock.

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

6K setting on the top-left dial.

Joystick on the back, nice touch.

Redesigned d-pad / click wheel but I'll be using joystick instead.

Full size HDMI port rumoured.

I hope Speed Booster XL still fits the mount, and ridge above it seems lower?

I hope an speedbooster is released to take full advantage of cropless 4K....I think a lot of people are expecting too much from the 6K branding.  That icon looks exactly like the 4K Photo Mode icon already present in the GX85 and G85.  Not terribly useful unless you shoot action sports that you want stills for, and you're hoping to nail the lighting.

2 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

I hope an speedbooster is released to take full advantage of cropless 4K....I think a lot of people are expecting too much from the 6K branding.  That icon looks exactly like the 4K Photo Mode icon already present in the GX85 and G85.  Not terribly useful unless you shoot action sports that you want stills for, and you're hoping to nail the lighting.

As Panasonic already wrote, 6K photo will be available in 3:2 and 4:3 only and not in 16:9 as 4K photo is.

14 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Too bad that no rumors are coming up about the anamorphic mode, live stretch or the REC709 preview in VLOG... I strongly hope that these features will be improved. 

Also, can anybody tell me, why is panasonic setting time 29m59s time limit for a recording in europe?!

Fat cat laws on the definition of a camcorder. When Brexit happens in about 100 years, things will change on that front.