Jump to content

GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 internal?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once went to Stockholm in person to pick up the Panasonic G7 and saved me 230 or so bucks (had to be there anyways, but still, http://www.prisjakt.nu proved helpful). I ordered the G80 from UK and f

Love it.  FT4 rating...  That's like changing your relationship status on FB, so you know it's legit.  No crop in 4K.     http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-first-panasonic-gh5-spec-4k-422-10-bits-

New info I am told they are indeed using a multi-aspect sensor. It measures 18.9mm x 13mm in approx. 3:2 aspect ratio 20MP stills but the total resolution of the chip is 24MP 24MP

Posted Images

panasonic came with a uhd premium certified flatscreen tv earlier this year, looking at the specs needed for the certification 10 bit color up to 12 bit, wide color gamut rec2020, HDR etc.. and with the rumored early 2017 release, a GH5 with10 bit 422 internal seems more plausible. I think Panasonic wants to sell these tv screens more than they want to protect their high end cine line imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cantsin said:

The camera industry is currently fighting its crisis with steep price increases - in a dramatically shrinking market, profits can no longer be made through sheer volume, but through profit margins per sold unit. 

Some indicators: The official price for a Sony a6000 body official price was $650 when it was released in 2014, the price for a Sony a6300 body climbed to $1000 in 2016. The Sony A7s was released in 2014 for $2500, the A7s II in 2015 for $3000. Nikon has increased the prices for its lenses by 18% this year.

So:

  • the GH5 promises be an as substantial update to the GH4 as the a6300 was to the a6000;
  • the price increase from the a6000 to the a6300 was 54%.
  • comparing Panasonic to Sony makes sense since both consumer electronics giants generally compete in the same markets, and are major competitors in the mirrorless camera market like Nikon and Canon compete in the DSLR market; 
  • the GH4 body cost $1700 when it was released in 2014, an initial price of up to $2600 (53% increase) for the GH5 body could be possible, and wouldn't be excessive. 

 

still they wont go above 2k... that´s APSC and FF territory...

 

They don´t compete with Sony as much as with Olympus... They positioned themselves as a long run contender for highest quality video features in a DSLR style camera.. you know, a horse/system you can bet on... this feature set challenges every camera manufacturer, with every price tag, out there.. which makes absolutly sense because, every single one of the competitions lenses can be adapted.. but their immediate pricing is based on what the immediate competition, aka Olympus, has to offer..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm a still shooter that how likes to do a bit of video nowadays.

My main camera is the M9 - and by the way I think Leica will have some surprises in regards to video at this years photokina.

Anyway. I use also the m4/3 and the 4/3 system before and I'm in favor of the Olympus Cameras ( still have the E1!!!) and their stunningly good lenses. However I switched from the Em1 to the GH4. And I also know the Olympus community quite good and some user groups. What I can say for shure when it comes time flagship/ pro bodies for stills no one really considers the GH4, everyone accepts that's capable of very good stills but everyone knows it's for its very very good Video with pro features for very little money.  So, therefore Panay could really beat up the still side but it wouldn't be recognized as munched as they hope. Video however would be a no brainier!

Actually, now that I've used the GH4 for stills, even with lenses like the 300mm F4 I have to say that perception is a little bit unfair. Focus is definitely not up to EM1 but in actual usage it handles nicer, it has a very responsive interface and the IQ is basically the same. Would even say, ISO is better. And it colorewise it suits my Leica workflow better.

Now, what would I expect for GH5? I think this one would be considered a millstone and will have a go on everyone in  mirrorless and DSLR world in view of videographers - not necessary by specs but by usability!

New 16MP Sensor 

Inbody 5-IS

Internal 4k 60Fps 10bit 4:2:2: 200mbs and no crop

Dual SD which utilizes the new 300mb/s SD cards

Tweaked interface with more setups items in video mode

V-log with customs

Anamorphic with desqueeze 

Clean HDMI output as usual

improved focus, but probably still behind Olympus.

 

Maybes:

New improved external interface with one or two surprises 

Even better "output"when used with HDMI 

 

Price? Not less than 2000,- USD, probably slightly more. Delivery January 17

B

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Huuow said:

They don´t compete with Sony as much as with Olympus... They positioned themselves as a long run contender for highest quality video features in a DSLR style camera.. you know, a horse/system you can bet on... this feature set challenges every camera manufacturer, with every price tag, out there.. which makes absolutly sense because, every single one of the competitions lenses can be adapted.. but their immediate pricing is based on what the immediate competition, aka Olympus, has to offer..

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Panasonic collaborates with Olympus, both companies jointly created the Micro Four Thirds system. And both have divided the M4/3rds market with Panasonic focusing on video hybrid cameras and Olympus on traditional stills cameras. Sony has more market share in mirrorless cameras than Panasonic and Olympus combined. Olympus even makes losses with its cameras that it only compensates with its medical imaging revenue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cantsin said:

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Panasonic collaborates with Olympus, both companies jointly created the Micro Four Thirds system. And both have divided the M4/3rds market with Panasonic focusing on video hybrid cameras and Olympus on traditional stills cameras. Sony has more market share in mirrorless cameras than Panasonic and Olympus combined. Olympus even makes losses with its cameras that it only compensates with its medical imaging revenue.

Collaborate in creating a system... yes.. because one alone wouldn´t have had a chance... and they surely have set guidelines... but you still buy either a panasonic lens/camera or an Olympus.. or do they share their earnings?

Of course they don´t want the other to fail and retreat... but you cannot just divide a market like moses and everyone gets 50%... of course they are also competing with each other while creating new collaborations... see panasonic/fuji or olympus/sony

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnnymossville said:

I'm not sure jpg has a 10bit mode, but what I do is grab sills from video,  if the video is 10bit than the stills can be 10 bit.  

JPEG can even be 12 bit if you have a look at the standard. But seeing how most displays are blah, I see why we're stuck with the 8bit implementations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2016 at 4:49 PM, mercer said:

God, I hope it's not h.265. Sure you save card space, but transcoding times take forever, especially if you're downscaling to 1080p ProRes. 

I would expect that Adobe and FCPX are on the ball this time. Most of those converters for h.265 when the NX1 came out were software variants of a Chinese spam company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, photographer-at-large said:

fake:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-images-new-panasonic-gh5-full-specs/

20mp, 
4k 4:2:2 10bit… 
Dual SD slots… 
no crop 4k…. 
4k photo stills 60fps, 
6k 30fps… 
ISO 1 stop better…

Absolutely fake, and if true, it would certainly cost the same as an FS5 minimum. Besides, how can it be 20mp and output 6k ? Wouldnt it have to be at least 28mpx?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Absolutely fake, and if true, it would certainly cost the same as an FS5 minimum. Besides, how can it be 20mp and output 6k ? Wouldnt it have to be at least 28mpx?

If it is 6K DCI aspect ratio 6144x3240=19906560, if 16:9 5760x3240=18662400. So 20MP would be needed for the video cropped part of the sensor and I believe that the whole sensor in 4/3 ratio should actually have more MP in that case (something like 6144x4620=28385280, so 28MP).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Sony RX100 IV sensor has been doing 20MP 6K output for a while.

If Panasonic can take their new 20MP sensor and back it onto some very good image processing I can believe the GH5 shoots 6K. which will make it absolutely unique for the price and in the form factor it is in.

VERY exciting specs if true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

That is IF the specs are true.

The 20 megapixel Panasonic GX8 sensor was 5184 pixels wide

How are they getting 6K from a 5K sensor?

34 minutes ago, sudopera said:

If it is 6K DCI aspect ratio 6144x3240=19906560, if 16:9 5760x3240=18662400. So 20MP would be needed for the video cropped part of the sensor and I believe that the whole sensor in 4/3 ratio should actually have more MP in that case (something like 6144x4620=28385280, so 28MP).

Correct!

Maybe their sensor is a new 16:9 aspect ratio chip, 5760 pixels wide but I can't ever see that in a 4:3 Micro Four Thirds cam

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

That is IF the specs are true.

The 20 megapixel Panasonic GX8 sensor was 5184 pixels wide

How are they getting 6K from a 5K sensor?

Correct!

Who knows, maybe they decided to upscale the video internally a bit, but frankly I don't see the logic there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

So Micro Four Thirds has a 4:3 aspect ratio for stills

But in the past Panasonic have had multi-aspect sensors

Maybe this is another multi-aspect sensor

That would explain 20MP stills in 4:3

But in 16:9 or DCI 6K mode it could use a wider area close to 6K wide?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So Micro Four Thirds has a 4:3 aspect ratio for stills

But in the past Panasonic have had multi-aspect sensors

Maybe this is another multi-aspect sensor

That would explain 20MP stills in 4:3

But in 16:9 or DCI 6K mode it could use a wider area close to 6K wide?

It makes sense, but I wonder how will that work with IBIS and also does that mean that in video it would have less of a crop than 2X in FF terms and do their lenses cover such scenario.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...