An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

dope ! what lens ? 

The orignal Lumix L1 kit lens, which I bought in 2008: Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14–50mm f/2.8–3.5

(I got the L1 + lens for 750 euro instead of the "new" price of 2000 euro a year before. The L1 was outdated when it came out. Which is strange, because I still take still pictures with it ! Less now since I have the GX80)

with the Panasonic 43 to m43 adapter.

Works great on manual focus, AF takes about 1 second ...

The above shot is probably on 50mm f3.5, sharpness -5, NR -5.

Here's a low budget music video I made with the GX85 and a cheap toy 25mm 1.7 cctv lens. The look is meant to be dirty but what was great was that the GX85, with it's great IBIS, enabled me to get the movement I was wanting. We tried with a Canon C100 and it just wasn't the same. It's an incredibly versatile little camera.

Here is my first 4K-based adventure with the GX80. I am suprised I didnt really miss the slow-mo at all. Although rendering takes ages on my Macbook Pro 2011 (3min video took 3:45h for rendering!), editing with proxy files works without any hickup. I am amazed by the quality and I think I will continue using 4K from now on. Lenses used: Sigma 18-35, but mostly the Panasonic 20mm. I already sold the Speedbooster XL and the Sigma, it is just too huge and even with the 4K crop one sees the vignette when the stabilization kicks in.

12 minutes ago, jase said:

Here is my first 4K-based adventure with the GX80. I am suprised I didnt really miss the slow-mo at all. Although rendering takes ages on my Macbook Pro 2011 (3min video took 3:45h for rendering!), editing with proxy files works without any hickup. I am amazed by the quality and I think I will continue using 4K from now on. Lenses used: Sigma 18-35, but mostly the Panasonic 20mm. I already sold the Speedbooster XL and the Sigma, it is just too huge and even with the 4K crop one sees the vignette when the stabilization kicks in.

Beautiful work, Jase, and well worth the wait (I've been waiting for this anyway). I'm through with speed boosters for the time being as well, for the very same reason.

50 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Why were there pigs on the beach? :lol:

Did you use the UC filter?

The Bahamas are quite famous for their swimming pigs - no one really knows where they came from, yet they are there :) We really wanted to see them, so thats the reason why they have such a big feature in my edit ;)

And no, no UC filter this time. I think that I will only use it when there is no sun at all, because with sunlight (or any other bright light sources) the thing gets quite annoying.

3 hours ago, jase said:

nice work ! are you just going to stick with native lenses from now on ? 

2 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

nice work ! are you just going to stick with native lenses from now on ? 

Yes, I think so. Having AF is very convenient if you are on the run or simply cant really see the peaking on the screen / evf. Now with the Summilux 15, it seems i got the perfect allrounder - good fov, fast AF and a decent focus ring - all in a small package!

5 minutes ago, jase said:

Yes, I think so. Having AF is very convenient if you are on the run or simply cant really see the peaking on the screen / evf. Now with the Summilux 15, it seems i got the perfect allrounder - good fov, fast AF and a decent focus ring - all in a small package!

yeah I was thinking about the leica 15mm and the 25mm and eventually work my way up the 42.5mm f1.2

I may keep those at rental suggestions because I am getting good results using nikkor ais lenses. They are full frame so I don't see any vignette but ocassionally the ibis does reveal some weird corner distortion but thats rare

8 hours ago, jase said:

Nice. 

Here's a video I shot with the GX80. 

The interview was shot with a Pentax Tokina 28mm f2.8.

Exteriors were mostly shot with the kit 12-32mm kit lens. I was planning on using my old Pentax 28mm, 50mm and 135mm lenses with a newly bought Camdiox/Roxsen focal reducer, but found the middle of the image was cloudy. I ended up using the kit 12-32mm without an ND filter, so have a lot of overexposed footage.

Edit - A small error near the end of the video. I'll need to reupload a fixed version.

On 5.3.2017 at 8:00 PM, jase said:

Great video Jase! Happy to hear you like the 15mm. I always though it would be a great option for what you do. If I could just choose one lens for a trip it would be the 15mm hands down. Didn't think you would get the Panny since you got the Oly 17mm though. How to they compare?