An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, jase said:

I wish I could have liked it twice!!! Really nice work. There is a hauntingly, romantic feel to the entire piece. The music works great, nice edit, good color. I believe this is just a hobby for you, but you should think about doing some music videos. You have a really good eye. Also, I loved that you only added the voices when your friends were standing around looking at the map. Was this with the Sigma 18-35mm? All handheld, or did you use a slider in some shots?

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

I wish I could have liked it twice!!! Really nice work. There is a hauntingly, romantic feel to the entire piece. The music works great, nice edit, good color. I believe this is just a hobby for you, but you should think about doing some music videos. You have a really good eye. Also, I loved that you only added the voices when your friends were standing around looking at the map. Was this with the Sigma 18-35mm? All handheld, or did you use a slider in some shots?

Thanks for your kind words, mercer! This was shot with the Olympus 17mm 1.8 - all handheld, just holding the GX80 with my right hand while cycling. Lovely lens.

4 minutes ago, jase said:

Thanks for your kind words, mercer! This was shot with the Olympus 17mm 1.8 - all handheld, just holding the GX80 with my right hand while cycling. Lovely lens.

Yeah nice lens. I read Mattias singing Olympus lens's praises but I'm not sure I ever saw anything from any of their lenses. One note that could be a cool effect... maybe take the audio of you and your friends laughing and talking and place it over the entire track, not as in sync audio but as a low background track. If you mix it with the sound of rustling leaves, the pedaling bikes and wind... almost as an echo... it may add a little more of a nostalgic memory feeling to the piece. I don't think it's necessary but it could be nice. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

One note that could be a cool effect... maybe take the audio of you and your friends laughing and talking and place it over the entire track, not as in sync audio but as a low background track. If you mix it with the sound of rustling leaves, the pedaling bikes and wind... almost as an echo... it may add a little more of a nostalgic memory feeling to the piece. I don't think it's necessary but it could be nice. 

Great idea! I tried it immediately, however since I only recorded with the built-in mic there are too many wind noises. Instead, i took several fragments and put them at different places during the clip. Tell me what you think (PW is mercer):

37 minutes ago, jase said:

Great idea! I tried it immediately, however since I only recorded with the built-in mic there are too many wind noises. Instead, i took several fragments and put them at different places during the clip. Tell me what you think (PW is mercer):

Yeah, that is great! It adds that little touch that makes the piece feel like an old postcard of a memory or dream... if that makes sense? Really nice work!!! Btw, is that curly haired blonde your girlfriend?

Your work inspires me to stop messing around with stupid camera tests and go film finished pieces. If only I had friends... LOL.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah, that is great! It adds that little touch that makes the piece feel like an old postcard of a memory or dream... if that makes sense? Really nice work!!! Btw, is that curly haired blonde your girlfriend?

Your work inspires me to stop messing around with stupid camera tests and go film finished pieces. If only I had friends... LOL.

Thanks again! I really like it, too. Awesome suggestion (which you btw have quite often, maybe you should become a creative thinkthank lol). And no, the curly blonde is a very good friend, my girlfriend is the other blonde :)

btw: replaced the original video.

3 hours ago, jase said:

Thanks again! I really like it, too. Awesome suggestion (which you btw have quite often, maybe you should become a creative thinkthank lol). And no, the curly blonde is a very good friend, my girlfriend is the other blonde :)

btw: replaced the original video.

Thanks, I wish that were a real job. I'm not really short on ideas, I just lack the skills and money to make them... I guess that's why I write more than I film. 

You do a good job of showing off your friends' and girlfriend's good qualities... part of that is knowing them and partly because you have a really good eye.

So my choice between the gx85 and g85 is coming down to really odd considerations one of which is durability. I have an old c mount lense that I love, but it's giant. I'm afraid that putting it on a cheaper camera could bend and damage the lense mount. Does anyone have insight on the differences in build quality between the two cameras? Does anyone use the gx85 with large heavy lenses?

2 hours ago, Nathan Gabriel said:

So my choice between the gx85 and g85 is coming down to really odd considerations one of which is durability. I have an old c mount lense that I love, but it's giant. I'm afraid that putting it on a cheaper camera could bend and damage the lense mount. Does anyone have insight on the differences in build quality between the two cameras? Does anyone use the gx85 with large heavy lenses?

Well, the G85 has a larger body, so it will be easier to handhold a larger lens. It is also half magnesium alloy, whereas the GX is plastic. Here's a shot of the diminutive GM1 with an Olympus zoom that weighs twice as much as the body.

highres-Panasonic-Lumix-GM1-with-Olympus-75-300mm-II-lens_1384187330.jpg