An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

30 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Yeah, later on this week I'll be sure to try it out. 

I work in FCP, what do you think of color finale? wolf33d seems to like it.

I have Color Finale and it is a great tool with a lot of support from the maker at Color Grading Central... Denver Riddle is his name and he sends a shit ton of emails. Hah. What is really great about it is that it is the simplest layout for pro color tools. I used that before I ever tried Resolve and Color Finale spoiled me because it's so simple. I probably should have watched all of his tutorials, but I tend to lack patience and prefer to tinker... probably a big reason my coloring skills are lacking. But seriously, Color Finale is great and well worth the price. I think there's a pro version now as well and the newer version has an X-Rite color checker tool that is supposed to work great. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, mercer said:

I have Color Finale and it is a great tool with a lot of support from the maker at Color Grading Central... Denver Riddle is his name and he sends a shit ton of emails. Hah. What is really great about it is that it is the simplest layout for pro color tools. I used that before I ever tried Resolve and Color Finale spoiled me because it's so simple. I probably should have watched all of his tutorials, but I tend to lack patience and prefer to tinker... probably a big reason my coloring skills are lacking. But seriously, Color Finale is great and well worth the price. I think there's a pro version now as well and the newer version has an X-Rite color checker tool that is supposed to work great. 

I got a lot of emails after purchasing some of his LUTs. I unsubscribed, no more emails. I'm going to get Color Finale tonight, maybe X-Rite in the future.

24 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I got a lot of emails after purchasing some of his LUTs. I unsubscribed, no more emails. I'm going to get Color Finale tonight, maybe X-Rite in the future.

You should like it. Everything you need is right there and it runs real smooth with even an entry level Mac. 

8 hours ago, Vesku said:

The aperture is not moving in photo mode until you take the final image. It stays fully open for focusing. If you use manual photo mode (M) and "Constant preview" from custom menu the aperture changes when composing an image. The "Constant preview" is always ON in video mode.

Can this be your issue?

Oh boy, I think you might be right.. Just run a quick test and it looks like that was it. Embarassing...

41 minutes ago, jase said:

Oh boy, I think you might be right.. Just run a quick test and it looks like that was it. Embarassing...

Funny. :) This has happened to me too with constant preview... took me awhile to figure it out as well, but I remembered that I had changed it. This is how we learn...

1 hour ago, jase said:

Now I only need to find out why in P mode i still only get the largest aperture, also when pointing it into a very bright light source. But maybe there is just another option I forgot about this one as well :)

You can use program shift.

Half press the shutter and then dial front or back wheel. The relation of S and A changes.

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Have you guys tried "Lawn Road Color Precision" from FXFactory ... it's a super quick (slider based plugin) way to do a heap of minor corrections. I really like it. I just use this all the time now when correcting footage. It has almost everything I need in 1 plugin :) $50. Only for Final Cut. Cheers. 

15 hours ago, Dean said:

Have you guys tried "Lawn Road Color Precision" from FXFactory ... it's a super quick (slider based plugin) way to do a heap of minor corrections. I really like it. I just use this all the time now when correcting footage. It has almost everything I need in 1 plugin :) $50. Only for Final Cut. Cheers. 

Do you think being able to use X-Rite with Color Finale is worth the extra dough? I am really looking for something that helps get white balance so I at least have a starting point for light grading. Has anyone here used a color meter for video? I'm sure Don must have...

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Do you think being able to use X-Rite with Color Finale is worth the extra dough? I am really looking for something that helps get white balance so I at least have a starting point for light grading. Has anyone here used a color meter for video? I'm sure Don must have...

I really don't know. Sorry. I have used Color Finale but never really liked it much. I've used X-rite for stills but never used the video based one. I'm not a pro ... just like shooting video as a hobby. My friend however here in HK is a Pro videographer and does use both with his Sony cams (A7Sii and FS5) and was pretty impressed. 

Just got a response from FilmConvert regarding whether they will be doing profiles for the GX85 and G85 ... good news !! Here's their response ...

"Hi Dean, thanks for your email - yes to both questions :) the GX/85 is definitely on our list, we're actually about to survey our users to help set our camera profiling priorities for the next few months, so don't forget to submit your request. The GH4 profile is probably a good first bet.

Best Regards

The FilmConvert Team

www.filmconvert.com"

On 1/8/2017 at 1:46 PM, Vesku said:

The aperture is not moving in photo mode until you take the final image. It stays fully open for focusing. If you use manual photo mode (M) and "Constant preview" from custom menu the aperture changes when composing an image. The "Constant preview" is always ON in video mode.

Does anyone know if any other Panasonic mirrorless cameras (G7, G85, GH5, etc.) can also keep the aperture open when focusing for stills?

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Just got a response from FilmConvert regarding whether they will be doing profiles for the GX85 and G85 ... good news !! Here's their response ...

"Hi Dean, thanks for your email - yes to both questions :) the GX/85 is definitely on our list, we're actually about to survey our users to help set our camera profiling priorities for the next few months, so don't forget to submit your request. The GH4 profile is probably a good first bet.

Best Regards

The FilmConvert Team

www.filmconvert.com"

Thanks for that piece of information, I contacted them as well :)

@jase, here's a fast comparison between GH3 and GH4 profiles from FilmConvert applied to GX85 files, in case anyone's interested.

• Film: Fuji 8543VD
  • Film Color: 80
  • Curve: 40
  • Grain: 0

Not that much of a difference but I see less green/magenta shifting with the GH3 profile.

GH3 NAT

GH3 NAT.jpg

GH3 STD

GH3 STD.jpg

GH4 NAT

GH4 NAT.jpg

GH4 STD

GH4 STD.jpg

ORIGINAL

ORIGINAL.jpg

41 minutes ago, Ronnie Amighetti said:

@jase, here's a fast comparison between GH3 and GH4 profiles from FilmConvert applied to GX85 files, in case anyone's interested.

• Film: Fuji 8543VD
  • Film Color: 80
  • Curve: 40
  • Grain: 0

Not that much of a difference but I see less green/magenta shifting with the GH3 profile.

GH3 NAT

GH3 NAT.jpg

GH3 STD

GH3 STD.jpg

GH4 NAT

GH4 NAT.jpg

GH4 STD

GH4 STD.jpg

ORIGINAL

ORIGINAL.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Ronnie.

On 1/10/2017 at 11:43 PM, Vesku said:
On 1/10/2017 at 8:17 PM, tupp said:

Does anyone know if any other Panasonic mirrorless cameras (G7, G85, GH5, etc.) can also keep the aperture open when focusing for stills?

All of them :)

Thanks!

Are the Panasonic cameras actually keeping the aperture physically open, or are they just boosting gain/iso?