An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

I made a quick test with all the recommendations listed in the EOSHD Procolor pdf with the exception of NR (which I set to -5). Here are some results as to what it does to my daughter's skin color in front of window light:

1) The original:

01-EOSHD-PROCOLOR-TEST-ORIGINAL.jpg

2) EOSHD Procolor applied

02-EOSHD-PROCOLOR-TEST-PROCOLOR.jpg

3) Just for fun, EOSHD Procolor and FilmConvert FJ Velv 100

03-EOSHD-PROCOLOR-TEST-PROCOLOR-AND-FILMCONVERT-FJ_VELVE_100.jpg
Let me know what you think. I like it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
37 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I made a quick test with all the recommendations listed in the EOSHD Procolor pdf with the exception of NR (which I set to -5). Here are some results as to what it does to my daughter's skin color in front of window light:

1) The original:

I like the EOSHD Procolor applied. In the 3rd pic the green colour tint returns with clipping of the dynamic range too. 

1 minute ago, sanveer said:

I like the EOSHD Procolor applied. In the 3rd pic the green colour tint returns with clipping of the dynamic range too. 

Where do you see it clipping? Her face? Maybe my monitor is out of wack... I can see the that the red skintone is significantly reduced between pictures 2 and 3, but I don't see a major increase in the green in picture 3... at least not to the point I say to myself- "it's green!" Anyway, I like both better than the first one.

5 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

Where do you see it clipping? Her face? Maybe my monitor is out of wack... I can see the that the red skintone is significantly reduced between pictures 2 and 3, but I don't see a major increase in the green in picture 3... at least not to the point I say to myself- "it's green!" Anyway, I like both better than the first one.

Actually I saw and compared all the pics again. I stand corrected about dynamic range in the 3rd pic. But there is a return to the green tint. Not as much as the 1st pic, but it does return a little. Maybe you could use a warm grade with more orange or yellow while reducing for red grade. 

3 minutes ago, dantheman said:

I don't see any clipping either or green tint, the 3rd picture has less chroma and lifted blacks.

I'm not 100% sure, but to my eye, EOSHD Procolor has fixed something that has bothered me about Film Convert for some time- the tendency to turn skintones rather white. Also, you seemingly don't need to WB anymore... just leave it in Auto WB and that's it! Now my only major "problem" with Procolor or Film Convert is the time to render. Granted, I don't have a video card, only a Ivy Bridge i7, but it took about an hour to convert 2.30 of video this way... too long IMO. :fearful:

1 minute ago, dantheman said:

Are you sure about that? a LUT doesn't fix a wrong whitebalance as far as I know.

Good point. I think the reasoning is that AWB gets it close enough for the LUT to work. I'm sure you could dial it in as well. IMO the GX80's AWB is pretty good and I rarely have issues. Therefore, I'll do it for simple ease-of-use.

12 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Are you sure about that? a LUT doesn't fix a wrong whitebalance as far as I know.

LUTs are great for things like converting Log to Rec207 or Rec2020 but I am not a fan at all of LUTs to color grade so I am definitely biased. 

But nevertheless some of the claims that are made about LUTs on some sites border absurdity, I am surprised some don't claim a LUT can cure the common cold!

26 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

LUTs are great for things like converting Log to Rec207 or Rec2020 but I am not a fan at all of LUTs to color grade so I am definitely biased. 

But nevertheless some of the claims that are made about LUTs on some sites border absurdity, I am surprised some don't claim a LUT can cure the common cold!

According to @Andrew Reid, it cures not only the common cold, but death itself! ...bringing those zombies back to life! I have to say it works rather well for me! Sometimes, the red channel seems to overshoot a little, but Film Convert brings everything back to normalcy.

@John Matthews 

Hey John, I like the Procolor plus Filmconvert version the best. So did you shoot that in standard or natural?

Here is an example filmed by deezid I had to post, regarding beautiful Panny skin tones and rich overall colors.

8bit Vlog, lookin great! It also has a 4K version on ytube for inspection. Really finding it to be one of the best Panny color examples.

7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

[..]

Someone posted a video shot with the GX80 on 43rumors, thought that turned out pretty nice too. People are doing great stuff with Panas.

10 hours ago, John Matthews said:

1) The original:

Difficult image with that lighting. But how bout...

cgyrhkr.jpg

Hey everybody! I don't know if anyone would be interested in trying this but I just wanted to make sure I'm not seeing things.Ok I decided to experiment with 4k cropping mode but instead of using it for panning or zooms I used it to shoot 1080 30p video,meaning I set the start and end points of the mode to cover the full area of the lcd screen "images below". 

MMq8NTJ.jpg?1

ZdHr4HF.jpg

As I understand it in this mode 1080 30p is scaled from 4k in camera which gave me the idea to compare it to regular avhd 30p.First of all when shooting in 4k cropping mode you're limited to 20 or 40 secs and of course it's 30p. Long story short I have found the 1080 30p from the 4k crop to be visually superior to regular avhd 30p with the down side of a slight crop. I don't know if this would be of any use to anyone but I found it to be very interesting if someone wanted better 30p sotc. It would have been great if this mode allowed shooting in 24p to give a better 1080 image but considering the modes intent I get why the framerate was left out. Lastly I would be interested in those with 25p cameras to do the same test to see if you get similar results. 

This is an example of the Avchd 30p vs 30p from 4k cropping mode. I think it's even clear through vimeo compression that 30p from 4k cropping clearly has a more detailed,color rich image. If you can't see the difference please do download the video. I'm not saying it's a night and day difference but it reminds me of the image you get when scaling 4k to1080p in post. Why do I even care? I guess because it would be nice to have better 1080p straight out the camera and by all indications it's quite possible. Downscaling 4k to 1080p in post is not a big deal but I found it interesting that the camera puts out better 1080p in some miscellaneous mode. Understand my stance though, I'm one of those guys who thought 1080p never reached its zenith before the bombardment of 4k. Everyone be safe...

17 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

AVCHD? I haven't used that since... like... GH2.

Well if you're wanting to shoot 1080 24p straight out of the camera that's your only option. All I'm saying is it would be nice to have 1080 24p cropped from 4k in camera to achieve better results. I know it's probably a processor limitation or something but we can dream right.

I did some tests today with different settings and Andrew's Procolor mode. Forgive me my awesome hangover look - 4K screencaps

This is the OOC Standard Profile with 0/-5/0/-5:

std 0505 org.jpg

And this is with Procolor applied:

std 0505 procolor.jpg

To be honest, I dont really like it. My skin looks as if I had sex with an orange.

This is my own quick grade with Filmconvert:

std 0505 fc.jpg

And since I am using normally Standard with -5/-5/-5/-5, here are the same shots again.

First OOC:

std 5555 org.jpg

Procolor:

std 5555 procolor.jpg

Own grade:

std 5555 fc.jpg

To my eyes, there are no real differences between -5 on all and -5/0/-5/0. Yet, maybe I didnt recover totally.