Jump to content

An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not that it's important or that anyone's counting, but this thread has just passed the threshold of becoming the most popular thread on EOSHD in terms of posts (over 1400) and views (over 142,000 and climbing) just overtaking the previous top dog "Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement." :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if there is difference in "4k Photo" video quality vs normal 4k video. I figured that also in normal 4k video mode there is an option to use "4k photo creative video mode". (in GH4 but I think the GX85 has the same 4k photo features)

Does anyone know what is the difference between 4k video and 4k photo?

The camera says: "Change the video quality settings used for 4k still images?" when selecting "4k photo creative video mode" feature in normal video mode.

How the video stream is different for photos and video? NR, autofocusing... ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone done a good comparison between the gx85 and g85? I want to get one, and I'm not sure if the g85 is worth the cost. The only real benefits I see to the g85 is the weather sealing and cinelike D. However I'm not sure if cinelike D really gets me that much more than -5 contrast on Natural. I'm not even sure how much I need the extra dynamic range, I've been shooting on the gh3 for the past few years and the Natural profile typically works fine for me. Opinions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nathan Gabriel said:

Has anyone done a good comparison between the gx85 and g85? I want to get one, and I'm not sure if the g85 is worth the cost. The only real benefits I see to the g85 is the weather sealing and cinelike D. However I'm not sure if cinelike D really gets me that much more than -5 contrast on Natural. I'm not even sure how much I need the extra dynamic range, I've been shooting on the gh3 for the past few years and the Natural profile typically works fine for me. Opinions?

and external mic input if you like putting a fluffy shotty on the top. 

Shot this on GX85, 25mm 1.4, and 42.5 1.7 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

and external mic input if you like putting a fluffy shotty on the top. 

Shot this on GX85, 25mm 1.4, and 42.5 1.7 

 

Looks like cineD. Horrible orange skin tones. Highlights and colors are clipping badly. Is the G85 dyn range so bad?.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Albert ( @Brother ) traded in the G7 for the GX80! Of course he had to go and get one of the sickest lenses out there for it. :grin:

Indeed i did! I thought that the GX80 would make a perfect B-cam for the GH5. But who knows, the GH5 might be the worst camera ever, in that case i'll keep my GX80 and be happy with it :) Oh, the Olympus 25/1.2 is amazing by the way!

22 minutes ago, Goose said:

really impressive stuff

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16.12.2016 at 11:59 AM, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Cool! Can you post a picture of the setup? Excited to hear your thoughts on image quality compared to your other lenses. 

Here you go:

Datei 18.12.16, 16 41 10.jpeg

Excuse the bad quality, but my phone is the only other camera I have :) I also took your recommendation for the Smallrig Grip - awesome stuff! Yet i am thinking about whether I should add a metalwire or sth like that to the grip and the camera straps, just in case the pressure on the hotshoe is too big... For now it feels pretty rock solid, but I dont know whether I dare to trust this in the long run.

During christmas I will make a small example video. Up until now I am just running around here at home and loving the lowlight as well as the focus ring, feels like Voigtländer! 

I think this GX80+ SB XL + Sigma 18-35 combo is kind of unmatched, there isnt another stabilized system out there that gives me the DOF of f2.2 (FF equiv) with such a wide angle zoom. Loving it! Now if the GX80 would have a mic in an 4k60p I probably would ban myself from this forum to not get caught by the GAS again. Have to admit, this camera is really nailing it for me. Paired with the Pana 20mm, I have a very stealthy kit when I need it, with the Sigma I am now ready for my next backpacking trip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am getting a GX85 because the GH5 arrives in march and I go to Patagonia in February.. 

For those who have info or tried, does the Dual IS vs just the IBIS make a big difference in video? 
I would like a Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 or the Oly 12-40mm f2.8 which is better but with no IS (therefore no Dual IS possible with the GX85). For video, is Dual IS clearly better than using the IBIS + let's say the 12-40mm Olympus? 

If dual IS makes a big difference, my combo will be the 12-35mm f/2.8 + maybe the 42.5mm f/1.2 IS

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I am getting a GX85 because the GH5 arrives in march and I go to Patagonia in February.. 

For those who have info or tried, does the Dual IS vs just the IBIS make a big difference in video? 
I would like a Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 or the Oly 12-40mm f2.8 which is better but with no IS (therefore no Dual IS possible with the GX85). For video, is Dual IS clearly better than using the IBIS + let's say the 12-40mm Olympus? 

If dual IS makes a big difference, my combo will be the 12-35mm f/2.8 + maybe the 42.5mm f/1.2 IS

It is hard to qualify objectively what is "big" in this case. 

I think IBIS is great even with lenses that do not have IS.  Another great lens is the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7, that one works great in conjunction with IBIS.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I am getting a GX85 because the GH5 arrives in march and I go to Patagonia in February.. 

For those who have info or tried, does the Dual IS vs just the IBIS make a big difference in video? 
I would like a Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 or the Oly 12-40mm f2.8 which is better but with no IS (therefore no Dual IS possible with the GX85). For video, is Dual IS clearly better than using the IBIS + let's say the 12-40mm Olympus? 

If dual IS makes a big difference, my combo will be the 12-35mm f/2.8 + maybe the 42.5mm f/1.2 IS

 

Thanks

I have the same question, actually even opened a thread asking that. I have a G80 and a Gx80 and now I have to decide between the Oly and the Pana, the Oly has a slight advantage due to the extra range and closer focus but if the Dual IS really makes a difference I would choose the 12-35. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

It is hard to qualify objectively what is "big" in this case. 

I think IBIS is great even with lenses that do not have IS.  Another great lens is the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7, that one works great in conjunction with IBIS.

 

Thanks. I have looked and will get the 1.7 over the 1.2, such a good deal for the price

for the 12-35 vs the Oly I don't know though..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...