Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

Tomorrow I did work on event with GUI mod vrs1.30 (that one with EV button) and shoot like 110GB of videos in pretty dark enviroment and shoot very fast dancers/performancers in smoke clouds, lights and strobos, It went absolutely perfect. As you know one of my sd cards not so fast, it holds 150 mbps at max with previous implementations of hack. Second one usually run with 180, but in complicated scenes I tend to decrease bitrate a little to 170. But not this time, yesterday I just install Kino Seed's pack 1.30 on both of my cards, setup 180 mbps on both (remember that for one it tops and another never works with this EVER, always give me error message with any more than 150 mbps) - and shoot everything. I need to run from one side of the club to another, from left side of the scene to right, get up on second floor to shoot from balcony, you know, usual stuff - so, I don't need to camera to shoot all the time, mostly 4-8 minutes long and run to another corner. But it all goes well, and I don't have any of luxury cards, it's just Trascend and Sandisk. So, for me 180 with ISO 800 went perfect, and I'm sure that Sandisk can hold more, but I decide to stop at 180 since Transcend give me 180-190 at home test, so - 180 it is.

In my test video about 200 mbps that I've posted here I exclude some scenes with close-ups of cars running fast, because this scenes I just didn't like in eastetic terms, you know, shitty footage - AF goes wrong when I touch unintentionally led-screen, my steadycam goes crazy and so on, so on. But in terms of bitrate hack and error messages - it all goes absolutely like any other video that I shoot that morning to test 200 mbps, actually with steadycam it's more complicated to NOT get error message, as steadicam when you don't give it enough attention, can go crazy exactly in "motion cadense' terms, it's exactly about this, because basically crazy steadycam - it just very smooth but chaotic panning at huge speeds and velocities )))

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If I may present to you: screengrab of 240 mbps test footage.

duck.MP4_snapshot_00.03_[2016.04.30_19.13.35].jpg

26 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Getting great results with this hack so far, but I have found an error. If you use the viewfinder instead of rear screen while the hack loads the whole camera freezes, only fix is a battery pull.

Yep. Did try this and seconded your result - camera need to battery pull off. I'm using 1.30 version and get this bug, Which version you use?

10 minutes ago, outerbeat said:

If I may present to you: screengrab of 240 mbps test footage.

duck.MP4_snapshot_00.03_[2016.04.30_19.13.35].jpg

Yep. Did try this and seconded your result - camera need to battery pull off. I'm using 1.30 version and get this bug, Which version you use?

He he, I don't think it's a bug, it's a feature :-)

Otto could not check whether the LCD is on or off in his programs without access to a NX1 to find out how - NX500 has no VF - :-) so he did his best under the circumstances...

Just make sure you do any stuff which pops messages on the screen, while the screen is on and not while using the viewfinder.

Currently I am still using the nx-bitrate-v3 hack at 160mbps. Beautiful image at these high bitrates I can only imagine what you guys are getting at 200 mbps ! I was able to record at 200 mbps for like 4 seconds but ultimately stability is what I am after so 160 is good enough for me. 

At what point does the bitrate stop benefiting the image as far as motion cadence and macroblocking is concerned ? 

I am also curious to see how the camera handles scenes with -5 to 0 sharpening with these high bitrates. I really feel like the sharpnening algorithim somehow plays a role in the noise reduction algorithim. Anyone willing to help test my theory out ? All you have to do is shoot with -5 sharpening and beyond

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Wow ! Super detailed, look at the smoke !

Yeah, exactly! thanks, man! I think we all win here with bitrate hack, it's obvious for me, Results may vary (he-he, LB here) but overall anyone can find exact right way to treate bitrate as he (or she) wants and needs. Of course it is not about exact numers at all, many of scenes works fine even in 100-120 mbps, bot for me there is always bugging me idea - how it really works and how exactly it impoves quality of my work, despite the opinion of others and even myself, you know, like blind test, but not "blind" exactly ))

37 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

At what point does the bitrate stop benefiting the image as far as motion cadence and macroblocking is concerned ? 

I think it's never, but at some point there is price/quality question, like hmm I can get 100 minutes of pretty much FINE footage or 40 minutes of superb, and also it about keeping  footages after you acquired it and so on. Maybe the price is high for one and nothing to other, well it's just it

As for me, here the deal - I can easily say that I don't see any dfference in some scenes between 80 and 180, and in some scenes I can spot the difference between 160 and 180, and can predict that there is scenes, where 250 mbps isn't enough. It's really just question about how much is enough and how rare is not

26 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@outerbeat that makes perfect sense ! I probably should reinstall your mod and aim for 180 since I primarily shoot handheld. Have you tested the bitrate limit for 1080 60p ?

It's not my mod, I just NX1 volunteer tester for guys ))

Yea, I did some test for 1080@120. Basically it holds bitrate better, doesn't crash with 210 and can do 220, from 230 there is crashes after 20-30 seconds. As for quality - I just can't say yet, didn't do proper test for quality, you know, nothing specific, just night view from the window, can't see much quality difference from this

4 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Getting great results with this hack so far, but I have found an error. If you use the viewfinder instead of rear screen while the hack loads the whole camera freezes, only fix is a battery pull.

So, if you using one of the Kino Seed's packs, here is the one, which didn't freezes the camera if mod boots with EVF, version 1.37 (and following I think)

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to follow along with this, but I may have gotten lost a little. Do I have the hack steps correct?:

1. Running telnet server on camera. Downloading and extracting the busy box is taking forever.

2. Running Files From SD Card Without Entering the Factory Mode by Starting Bluetooth

3. Then download and load the latest (1.37)  mod

Is that it?

8 minutes ago, Herb said:

1. Running telnet server on camera. Downloading and extracting the busy box is taking forever.

2. Running Files From SD Card Without Entering the Factory Mode by Starting Bluetooth

3. Then download and load the latest (1.37)  mod

Is that it?

No-no-no, you don't need to run telnet )) sorry for such unpleasure )) I know about busybox it's really such a pain in the

You just need to install bt-mod, so it can automatically runs scrips from the sdcard when BT is on. Then you just put files from pack to sdcard, put sdcard in camera and power up, when BT is on - manually or automatically - the scripts do all the work, shows you the message like "complete" or "version number" and you good to go

The actual link, installation guide and core features of mod pack for NX1 and nx500

Download: link to package always updates, so you get last one for the time of downloading

Thanks to Vasile, Otto and Kino Seed

Key-combinations:
EV+...
AEL: immediate hibernation
UP: load UP profile
DOWN: load DOWN profile
Half-Press-Shutter: focus pull
mobile: telnet
EV: Main Menu  (NX500)
OK: Main Menu (NX1)

#############

Main Menu
- video birtates
- custom functions
- profiles
- settings
- hibernate
- sleep

Video Bitrates
lists all set bitrates, and allows for changing them persistently
(that means settings are kept even after camera restart)

Custom Functions
- focus stacking
- focus buttons
- batch recording (continuous recording)|
- Kill switch (removes keyscan and gui from memory)

Profiles
save/load UP or DOWN profile
save/load FullBackup (all camera settings)

Settings
- Silent Shutter (nx500 only)
- VGA to 2.5K (nx500 only)
- No Rec Limit
- Uninstall Mod

How to install:
1) start with a clean memory card (no files)
2) unzip the contents of the zip into the root of the sdcard
3) put card in camera, and restart
x) to uninstall mod - from custom menu> settings> Uninstall Mod

1 hour ago, outerbeat said:

The actual link, installation guide and core features of mod pack for NX1 and nx500

Download: link to package always updates, so you get last one for the time of downloading

Thanks to Vasile, Otto and Kino Seed

Key-combinations:
EV+...
AEL: immediate hibernation
UP: load UP profile
DOWN: load DOWN profile
Half-Press-Shutter: focus pull
mobile: telnet
EV: Main Menu  (NX500)
OK: Main Menu (NX1)

#############

Main Menu
- video birtates
- custom functions
- profiles
- settings
- hibernate
- sleep

Video Bitrates
lists all set bitrates, and allows for changing them persistently
(that means settings are kept even after camera restart)

Custom Functions
- focus stacking
- focus buttons
- batch recording (continuous recording)|
- Kill switch (removes keyscan and gui from memory)

Profiles
save/load UP or DOWN profile
save/load FullBackup (all camera settings)

Settings
- Silent Shutter (nx500 only)
- VGA to 2.5K (nx500 only)
- No Rec Limit
- Uninstall Mod

How to install:
1) start with a clean memory card (no files)
2) unzip the contents of the zip into the root of the sdcard
3) put card in camera, and restart
x) to uninstall mod - from custom menu> settings> Uninstall Mod

nice summery, why there is no silent shutter for the NX1, sounds as a nice feature