Why the DJI Osmo is actually a 4K raw Micro Four Thirds camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, you are assuming that the X5/X5R cams will fit in/on the Osmo, and that if they do, the Osmo will be strong enough to balance/counteract the much larger/heavier cam and lens. Also, with the X5R recording to SSD, you will need to run HDMI, or whatever cable the cam uses for output, from the cam to the recording module- is the Osmo gimbal set up for this, like I'm assuming the X5 gimbal is? Or are you meaning to use the X5 gimbal instead, simply with the Osmo grip?

Andrew, you are assuming that the X5/X5R cams will fit in/on the Osmo, and that if they do, the Osmo will be strong enough to balance/counteract the much larger/heavier cam and lens. Also, with the X5R recording to SSD, you will need to run HDMI, or whatever cable the cam uses for output, from the cam to the recording module- is the Osmo gimbal set up for this, like I'm assuming the X5 gimbal is? Or are you meaning to use the X5 gimbal instead, simply with the Osmo grip?

Says so right here:

Apparently with a setup like so:

lTSYnvy.png

DJI is the BMD of flying cameras! ;-D

I wasn't very convinced about the remote focus (perfect for the Ronin, not for drones), but this is really interesting. And their cameras seems to be improving all the time. As fuzzynormal says their first cameras were much worse than GoPros, but they are surpassing them now..... 

DJI is the BMD of flying cameras! ;-D

I wasn't very convinced about the remote focus (perfect for the Ronin, not for drones), but this is really interesting. And their cameras seems to be improving all the time. As fuzzynormal says their first cameras were much worse than GoPros, but they are surpassing them now..... 

From what I've seen the X5 series is pretty good. 13 stops of DR and cinema 4k at 24fps. Certainly good enough for indie film, music videos or documentary work. 

I'm liking it a lot. The only problem I see is lens support, which right now is limited to only two third party lenses, both of which are fairly wide.

My god. There's a hefty price tag for both grip and X5 for sure, but 13 stops m43 sensor with 1080p at 60fps... wow.

I was never convinced with, what seemed to me, the robotic movement of the nebula but this looks smoother and will undoubtedly be faster to set up. Would be a nice combo with my Leica 15mm.

Going to ditch pilotfly for this combo (hopefully they come with X5 bundle), I can finally leave the A7s to 28-135mm permanently lol

Hopefully they will add more lens in the future, like 25mm/42.5mm/45mm lens, with wireless focus you can get some impressive follow focus on the go with nice bokeh background

The only problem I see is lens support, which right now is limited to only two third party lenses, both of which are fairly wide.

You are mostly forced to wide-angles and large DOF, or you need a focus-puller. What we need is a good wide-angle prime with optical stabilization! And learn to walk without bouncing! ;-D

Hope it handles the aded weight or a speedbooster + lens.

The more weight you add, the worse it works and the more power it needs. 

Even the Osmo X3 seems like a valid option. It cost's the same of a GoPro with gimbal. I love the compactness. 

I also don't quite understand how this works. But I guess it will - still you are looking at 650 usd for the gimbal plus 1600 for the X5 if I get it right?

I'm guessing it will be cheaper since the price you quoted for the Osmo already includes the X3 camera (which won't be needed) and the price for the X5 already includes the 3-axis gimbal (which also won't be needed when combined with the Osmo). We just have to wait & see how much such a bundle will be priced since I'm pretty sure there are many who are eager to get the Osmo with the X5 due to the larger sensor (and better low light performance). 

I also don't quite understand how this works. But I guess it will - still you are looking at 650 usd for the gimbal plus 1600 for the X5 if I get it right?

Isn't the raw version of the x5 around 3 times more expensive? Wouldn't it be better to just buy a pistol grip gimbal for $500-600 and add the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera for $995. Then you have something on a gimbal that can shoot raw for $1,600 instead of $5,500.

Isn't the raw version of the x5 around 3 times more expensive? Wouldn't it be better to just buy a pistol grip gimbal for $500-600 and add the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera for $995. Then you have something on a gimbal that can shoot raw for $1,600 instead of $5,500.

I think you overlooked the part where the X5R shoots 4k and the BM Micro "only" 1080p.

You're not wrong! Although I think these are the best pistol grip gimbal shots I have seen. It's a neatly small device too and I imagine very quick to setup with the officially supported lenses.

You're not wrong! Although I think these are the best pistol grip gimbal shots I have seen. It's a neatly small device too and I imagine very quick to setup with the officially supported lenses.

True. It looks like it will be very easy to use. Just wish the camera on the $649 model was more attractive. 

I think you overlooked the part where the X5R shoots 4k and the BM Micro "only" 1080p.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about that.