V-log unlocked for free!

Aragonnarun

Putting together an edit of V Log clips from downtown Chicago. Here are some stills till I can finish. I tried finding scenes with extreme DR (alot of shadows, and sunlight).

AmericanFlag.jpg

ChicagoTheater.jpg

TrumpTower.jpg

Walking.jpg

These look great. Are they triopd shots? What lens?

I think this is the key to using vlog successfully. Keep the shadows really dark, just don't clip them to black too severely. Then you get a nice contrasty image and the noise gets hidden, but there's a more organic, detailed and "sculpted" look to the shadows ...

PS: I'm guessing your surname isn't Chicago then?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nick Driftwood is tweeting about "zebras and highlights" not working the way they should with the V-Log L workaround. Anyone know what he's talking about? I haven't had a chance to implement mine yet. Although supposedly I'll have the real deal from Panasonic this week so i might just wait.

Nick Driftwood is tweeting about "zebras and highlights" not working the way they should with the V-Log L workaround. Anyone know what he's talking about? I haven't had a chance to implement mine yet. Although supposedly I'll have the real deal from Panasonic this week so i might just wait.

Hmm....

How is this possible if Vlog-L is activated by simple code? They also made in-firmware tweaks to zebras after validation?

Anyone can check this, please? :)

Hello guys, I just made some test

I'm not so impressed with VLOG L options about Dynamic range. Yes its huge difference between not edited vs edited footage, but lets compare to the Cinelike D ... really not so good in details and shadows. 

Here are some samples

VLOG L profile - not edited

VLOG L profile - edited

Cinelike D - edited

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 10.46.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 10.45.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 10.45.45 AM.png

> https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/comments/3l1qab/panasonic_gh4_vlogl_available_for_free_just/

UPDATE: Watch your exposure.

After saving V-LOG L to a custom profile, it works like it should. However, the camera's histogram doesn't adapt to it, meaning that it will max out somewhere between 70% and 80% brightness - the image clips right there, even if there's still room to the right of the histogram. This is apparently due to the fact that V-LOG L is based on V-LOG for the varicam, but doesn't have as much room in the highlights etc (Google it if you're interested). So in order to be safe here, you may want to assign one of your zebras to 80% and use that for shooting in V-LOG L, because it will indicate clipping somewhat reliably. Also note that black will not sit all the way to the left in the histogram, but a bit above that.

TL;DR: The GH4's histogram doesn't know it's showing you a log image, and will therefore betray you if you're not careful.

Just messing around with it initially. 

- Need to understand and get the exposure in check. Setting the middle grey to 42IRE is great and all but often at times, I'm relying on the exposure meter at the bottom when I'm running and gunning (no waveform). 

- V-log is causing havoc is the peaking. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? 

Well I thought it was pretty noisy and useless at the start, but now I've changed my mind. For the most part everything looks great, no visible noise, huge DR. And just adding the panasonic lut gets things looking rather nice. Skin tones look much better than without it. In short, I'll probably shoot everything with it now. 

Adding a secondary lut gets things confused so I'll leave that learning barrier for a couple of weeks.

These look great. Are they triopd shots? What lens?

I think this is the key to using vlog successfully. Keep the shadows really dark, just don't clip them to black too severely. Then you get a nice contrasty image and the noise gets hidden, but there's a more organic, detailed and "sculpted" look to the shadows ...

PS: I'm guessing your surname isn't Chicago then?

Haha thanks. No tripod. Only used Panasonic 12-35. Fader ND. You are right, contrasty images are looking the best to me. Low con looks have some noise, but I'm testing out Neat Video to reduce it a bit.

I think alot of people are right here in saying that you have to pretty much nail the exposure or it could be a disaster. I try getting the exposure meter right at 0 on the GH4, and then figure out my focal point, and adjust as needed.

Aaron, looking forward to seeing what you've done so far. 

Are you finding exposing at 0 to be somewhat under? Been reading that you need to overexpose by a stop or two. 

Aaron, looking forward to seeing what you've done so far. 

Are you finding exposing at 0 to be somewhat under? Been reading that you need to overexpose by a stop or two. 

It depends on which LUT I'm using to de log the image. When I use Varicam LUT it's pretty much spot on. Cineon converter is a little dark. I'm not sure if it's better to overexpose or just raise it in post.

Oh, and Filmconvert seems to be kinda dark too.

From the info that has been shared here and in the article linked on the other page, shouldn't it be enough most of the time to ETTR using zebras at 75% (or 80% - need to test this) almost all the time and then pull down as needed? Shouldn't that do the trick as well or even better than the 18%/42 IRE/greycard/waveform with external recorder thingie majingie magic? Anyway it will be fun to figure this all out. Can't wait for the 2.4 firmware update with 4:2:2 ;)