V-log unlocked for free!

Aragonnarun

THANKS Aaron! I am figuring the bug out. Glad I can get now as it's not available for purchase in my country. I believe this is the only morally-viable case for you guys to do it, if it's available buy it. 99 dollars is not money.

So I'll just borrow it for a few days as prototype testing, for non-commercial and without publishing footage or sharing the method. Just like early testers were obligated.

And I'll definitely pay for it as soon as I am allowed, in a week, and if it doesn't get available by then, I'll connect to the Panasonic app and remove it.

(if I don't, I am stealing a product, with all the religious, moral, and legal consequences stealing provokes, just as low as shoplifting a product in the grocery store). 

Truth be told... just hosting this thread may put Andrew and EOSHD at risk for legal redress from Panasonic ... as their ability to go to the source in China is next to nill ... in the West rule of law still applies.

Probably best if all this were off forum and this thread shut down.

JMHO

Bob

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well it's not Andrew now, and it's on other sites. 

If anybody knows a lawyer or has law knowledge please weigh in on this.

Is it illegal to use Panasonic official application as intended where I can unlock the feature, when the feature is being sold separately from Panasonic?

No ''opinions and ''I believe''s, straight by the book law answer please

It only works when using the app so it is not installed/activated on the camera. Draining both the camera battery and the phone. Panasonic will probably deactivate soon. 

I will be purchasing my license when it's released in Norway, hopefully in October. Until it's fun to finally get to try V-log  with my own footage!

Are you sure? I've turned off the app, and the camera, V Log still works. I changed batteries and it still works as well.

Are you sure? I've turned off the app, and the camera, V Log still works. I changed batteries and it still works as well.

No it stays active on mine even when I turn the camera off and remove the battery, it only goes if I change the picture style. I'm currently not connected to the app and the camera is remembering the last picture style used.

You're right. If I turn off the app and change the profile it's gone and has to be activated with the app again.  

No it stays active on mine even when I turn the camera off and remove the battery, it only goes if I change the picture style. I'm currently not connected to the app and the camera is remembering the last picture style used.

Found a workaround : save the v-log preset as "standard" profile. Next time you'll have it saved on the STD profile even if you change the picture mode. 

Well it's not Andrew now, and it's on other sites. 

If anybody knows a lawyer or has law knowledge please weigh in on this.

Is it illegal to use Panasonic official application as intended where I can unlock the feature, when the feature is being sold separately from Panasonic?

No ''opinions and ''I believe''s, straight by the book law answer please

The worst thing that could happen is an email from panasonic to please remove the instructions and I doubt they would do it. They will remove the app and change it, sharing the old app would be the only illegal thing.

THANKS Aaron! I am figuring the bug out. Glad I can get now as it's not available for purchase in my country. I believe this is the only morally-viable case for you guys to do it, if it's available buy it. 99 dollars is not money.

So I'll just borrow it for a few days as prototype testing, for non-commercial and without publishing footage or sharing the method. Just like early testers were obligated.

And I'll definitely pay for it as soon as I am allowed, in a week, and if it doesn't get available by then, I'll connect to the Panasonic app and remove it.

(if I don't, I am stealing a product, with all the religious, moral, and legal consequences stealing provokes, just as low as shoplifting a product in the grocery store). 

Anybody know a lawyer to consult quickly for us on this?

I am a lawyer (among other things). You discovered a glitch and did Not hack or break into the security. Having said that, since the VLog patch is a Paid patch, and you have gotten it for free, ideally atleast on moral grounds you should not discuss this any further.

Please delete this thread. 

If I had the GH4, I would rather just pay for it to support Panasonic's efforts in improving their firmware. The price is very reasonable.

If you had a NX1 you would definitely not understand why you should pay for any software upgrade ;) 

no one is doing anything wrong. Anyone who opens the app could find this out. 

well let's be honest, this thread is encouraging it ;) 

If you had a NX1 you would definitely not understand why you should pay for any software upgrade ;) 

Well, I don't - I have tied up a lot of money in m43 so I'd rather pay a nominal fee for a major improvement that comes out 18 month after the camera was released, than not getting the function at all. 

I agree free would be better, but this is in all fairness sort of a special interest item that most soccer moms would not even be interested in. I think it is good that they at least use resources on functionality that a relatively few people will take advantage of.

Panasonic should definitely be better at providing more free "mainstream" updates though. Even Olympus outshines Panasonic in this regard (though arguably, Panasonic tends to come out with more complete functionality off the bat, at least for video.). Samsung is the new guy on the block so they would be expected to go above and beyond to dig into the market.

I am a lawyer (among other things). You discovered a glitch and did Not hack or break into the security. Having said that, since the VLog patch is a Paid patch, and you have gotten it for free, ideally atleast on moral grounds you should not discuss this any further.

Please delete this thread. 

This is nonsense.  It may be an oversight on Panasonic's side, but this is simply using the functionality built in to the app and camera.  Nothing else.  Nothing has been reverse engineered, nothing have been hacked or any copyright infringement.  I feel this to be an inaccurate comment. 

The precise info is available on many places on the web now, including reddit!

https://www.reddit.com/r/gh4/comments/3l1j2z/how_to_use_vlog_without_buying/

While the sentiment of "without buying" is an unwelcome one, explaining the steps of how to use Vlog with existing software apps is surely an interesting, and wholly valid one.  Panasonic may be unhappy at the situation, but they clearly put out software that allowed the use of the Vlog profile without the need for a paid upgrade.  Their simple mistake.

It doesn't work on my new GH4 with the free panasonic image app unless I'm doing something wrong. 

I just tried this, downloading the image app, and the firmware all in the past hour and it worked fine.